Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 398763 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #3175 on: 08 October, 2023, 10:49:50 pm »
I can recommend Brulo, based in Embra but contract brewed in Belgium for non alcoholic beer (they deliver). A lot nicer than Punk AF too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3176 on: 09 October, 2023, 01:08:05 am »
Do they sell it in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles, though?

Edit: also, HOW MUCH :o :o :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3177 on: 09 October, 2023, 10:03:41 am »
I can recommend Brulo, based in Embra but contract brewed in Belgium for non alcoholic beer (they deliver). A lot nicer than Punk AF too.
Agree with this. A local bistro place stocks it and I really appreciate the stout with a meal.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3178 on: 09 October, 2023, 12:45:26 pm »
17 quid for six tins, when the Punk AF is four for a fiver?  I'm afraid Brewdog win that one by a KO, though only because Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles never seems to have the 0% Leffe when I'm in a BEER-drinking mood.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3179 on: 09 October, 2023, 12:53:48 pm »
I only buy it when they've got a special offer on, usually 20 or 25 per cent off.

ian

« Reply #3180 on: 09 October, 2023, 02:56:56 pm »
BN: I have taken a liking to a certain variety of alcoholic apple beverage* that seems only to be available in Notaroundhereingham, Nowhereshire. Double bad news, their website only has trade orders.

GN: a nice lady called Alex just left two cases outside, having delivered them herself on her way to visit her mum. And I got a fiver discount.

*Hurstwood Cider from the Eastery Sussexes. I normally abhor the sickly sweet, fruit-flavoured stuff which is basically Wkd for people whose taste buds have been in a terrible accident, but this proper appley goodness that tastes like it was made by people who drive tractors rather than press buttons on an apple-flavouring machine.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3181 on: 09 October, 2023, 03:49:41 pm »
Turns out the Brewdog is only £1/can if you have a Nectar card.  And since Mr Sainsbury now takes actual cash money off your grocery bill if you use such a card Nectar's ongoing sordid relationship with the D**ly M**l has had to take a back seat of late.

They did have Leffe today but only one six-pack in a state of falling-to-bitsness chiz.

« Reply #3182 on: 10 October, 2023, 04:23:00 pm »
This morning was enlivened by the sound of clunky footsteps & tool use on the roof above my flat.   Chaps fixing the roof.

Good thinks I,  hopefully that will cure the leak allowing water to come in via the window lintel.  I can finally start to think about replacing that stained wallpaper. 

Having a shower later,  crunch.  The rather old shower tray cracks underneath me.  I suspect that anything under the thin top layer has crumbled to dust.   I think replacing that is going to have to take priority over the wallpapering........   :facepalm:

A good job I took out a membership at the Uni sports centre.  I'm going to be showering over there until I can get this sorted. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3183 on: 10 October, 2023, 06:25:43 pm »
The laptop stand I ordered off Etsy last week arrived today.
What arrived was not what I ordered, sigh.

« Reply #3184 on: 13 October, 2023, 06:10:44 pm »
This morning was enlivened by the sound of clunky footsteps & tool use on the roof above my flat.   Chaps fixing the roof.

Good thinks I,  hopefully that will cure the leak allowing water to come in via the window lintel.  I can finally start to think about replacing that stained wallpaper. 

Just seen my next door neighbour.  The bulk of the work was being done over his (rented) flat.   The chaps abandoned the job when it started raining & left the working area uncovered.....    He had all areas running water for a while.    It's got into the flat below him as well....  :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3185 on: 13 October, 2023, 06:35:53 pm »
They sound like keepers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3186 on: 13 October, 2023, 07:04:29 pm »
Smoke a bit of weed and fill the sink with mould and you're well on the way to an authentic SHITE BUNKER experience.

« Reply #3187 on: 15 October, 2023, 04:41:11 pm »
On Thursday my dentist X-rayed me & told me to come back in a year for my next check up.

Today’s lunch involved pork crackling.  A large fragment of molar sheared off.  I’ve a feeling this is going to be expensive & painful to repair….

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3188 on: 15 October, 2023, 05:00:30 pm »
Very variable scenario andrew. I had similar treat by 'building up - cheap, quick and painless'
Otherwise, the sky's the limit.
D's just had extraction & implant which was very spendy.
He's got a cracked molar now & a dental appointment next week...

« Reply #3189 on: 16 October, 2023, 10:05:25 am »
GN: the dentist can see me on Thursday.

BN: There are still chaps clumping about on the roof, now directly above my flat.  Good morning sez I, bare chested in the autumn air.  Have you looked at the problem at the _back_ of the flat ?  The one you were supposed to have already fixed....    Oh,  no, we didn't know that was still a problem.  We'll take a look... :facepalm:

More BN:  The plumber who's done stuff for me in the past has retired & doesn't like doing shower trays,  "they always leak" he says...... 

Even more BN:  My internet connection is down.  Problem at the local cab.  They'll have an engineer out on Wednesday & will send me a wifi hub tomorrow.  In the mean time I've tethered the Mac to my phone.

« Reply #3190 on: 16 October, 2023, 10:58:55 am »
Trick I've read about shower trays is to load them with sandbags before siliconing.

Tiling over the upstand sounds like a good idea, although I'm rather taken with the utility of the plastic slabs we have in the downstairs shower.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3191 on: 16 October, 2023, 12:06:19 pm »
Trick I've read about shower trays is to load them with sandbags before siliconing.

Tiling over the upstand sounds like a good idea, although I'm rather taken with the utility of the plastic slabs we have in the downstairs shower.

Similar plan to filling a bath with water before applying silicone caulking - it works.

« Reply #3192 on: 16 October, 2023, 03:24:57 pm »
A Layer of EPDM underneath would do no harm either. Use a caulking tool not a fingertip.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3193 on: 16 October, 2023, 06:26:13 pm »
I much prefer the sheets these days for shower trays. Much easier to work with

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3194 on: 17 October, 2023, 10:19:40 am »
I gouged a large chunk of flesh from the top of my head when hoovering out the car. 

It happened to be where I had a large solar keratosis that was resistant to the Soleraze chemo cream.  A month later, my scalp has healed but the keratosis has not come back.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3195 on: 17 October, 2023, 10:44:24 am »
I gouged a large chunk of flesh from the top of my head when hoovering out the car. 

It happened to be where I had a large solar keratosis that was resistant to the Soleraze chemo cream.  A month later, my scalp has healed but the keratosis has not come back.

Sounds like the DIY version of the procedure I had with a plastic surgeon to dig one out of the side of my head!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3196 on: 17 October, 2023, 02:38:18 pm »
I once amputated a protruding mole by accident when itching my stomach.  I'm getting good at this.  Might try rectal polyps next  :hand:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3197 on: 18 October, 2023, 12:39:54 pm »
On Thursday my dentist X-rayed me & told me to come back in a year for my next check up.

Today’s lunch involved pork crackling.  A large fragment of molar sheared off.  I’ve a feeling this is going to be expensive & painful to repair….

Tooth repaired & she re-opened the account from last week & only charged me the difference!    She said if it fails again a crown might be required,  that tooth is about 75% filling!

ian

« Reply #3198 on: 18 October, 2023, 10:21:02 pm »
As I am sure I mentioned, a chunk of my molar calved last week, victim of a malefic pomegranate seed. I swear that tooth has enough amalgam filling that I could sell mining rights and retire on the proceeds.

« Reply #3199 on: 19 October, 2023, 10:56:06 am »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it's sometimes worth asking for a ceramic filling, as it bonds to the remaining tooth better than amalgam. Says he with two gold molars.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)