Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253782 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6975 on: 27 June, 2019, 12:10:23 pm »
Sorry, not read the previous ~300 pages of posts.
Has anyone mentioned - a) the China study, which suggests that you can increase you quantity of food intake and calorie intake AND lose mass, as long as you avoid animal based calories; b) you can lose weight eating junk food (a la "supersize me") or gain it eating healthily, because muscle is heavier than fat.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #6976 on: 28 June, 2019, 09:55:48 am »
a) is pretty obvious really. Calorific value is derived from burning the food, including all the indigestible parts, so calories on food vs calories taken up by the body will vary.

b) is why bodybuilders are obese if BMI is used.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6977 on: 29 June, 2019, 11:00:29 am »
I must love dieting, there's no other plausible explanation for putting so much effort into gaining weight after twice in the last five years getting down to the ideal. 118>92>115>94>116kg
A bit shocked into it, I don't have any clothes that fit, had a warning from the doctor and my first longer ride of the year was a struggle.
So, back on the weight loss thread, back to calorie counting - I don't even find it hard, other than missing bread, cheese and beer, it's just tedious.  This is it, started my last ever diet...

« Reply #6978 on: 29 June, 2019, 11:35:03 am »
I think this the problem. Missing the bread cheese and beer.

Having also restarted we are doing much more fasting so that we can eat the nice things in between. This does seem more sustainable in the long term.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6979 on: 30 June, 2019, 01:25:22 pm »
Most days there is no bread. There's no cheese. There is no beer. There is no cake.

Lean meat, loads of salad, vegetables, fish. It takes a huge plate full of rocket to fill me up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #6980 on: 10 July, 2019, 05:56:42 am »
That was -20kg this year, still got some way to go.
But living in a restricted diet on approx. 1800 kcal.
A Day and exercising every day works for me.
I'm not in any special diet like keto or sense.
But it's still hard work and making choises every day
What not to eat & drink.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6981 on: 12 July, 2019, 11:18:34 pm »
My SW weigh-in this morning showed a loss over the week of 1.5lb. That brings me down to 17st 0.5lb. If I can lose 2.5lb this coming week that will be my 3.5st award.

« Reply #6982 on: 13 July, 2019, 01:11:02 pm »
is it okay to do Intermittent Fasting while cycling?
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." -Walt Disney

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6983 on: 13 July, 2019, 02:46:19 pm »
I think we all fast between cafes, elevensies, pubs and the curry when you get home from a ride and I haven't seen any off us suffer from fasting :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6984 on: 13 July, 2019, 03:09:27 pm »
My experience is that it's fine on 600 calorie "fasting" days once you've settled into it, that's for leisure cycling it might be a bit different if you do high intensity stuff or if you're completely fasting.   YMMV of course, try it and see, just have a plan B.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6985 on: 13 July, 2019, 06:43:28 pm »
I am back on now.  This week I have lost 2.2kgs

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6986 on: 20 July, 2019, 08:23:38 am »
I decided yesterday to leave Slimming World for the time being. I have lost over 3 stones in weight and may well go back. But they have a policy that you pay whether you turn up or not, allowing for 6 weeks off in a 12 month period. Since I have already used 5 of my 6, and I will not be going for pretty well the whole of August and quite probably some of September as well, there's no point in shelling out almost £5 a week for nothing, especially since I will be on holiday for most of that time and won't be concentrating wholly on losing weight.

My method has been a lot simpler that SW's in any case. I have cut down massively on alcohol and cake, and also cut out a great deal of bread. I haven't cured my compulsive eating habit in the evening but I do make sure that it's fruit that I eat instead of marmalade sandwiches. I can carry on with that without them. And of course if I find, come October, which was when I joined last year, that my weight has crept up a bit, I can always rejoin!

« Reply #6987 on: 07 August, 2019, 05:38:50 pm »
I had a pleasant surprise this week. Having not really weighed myself since I broke my ankle1, I was most surprised to see that I've lost about half a stone in the month. That's without any cycling or running and not really cutting back on other things2:D

1: the scales being downstairs and the faff of going down, taking the boot off, weighing, putting the boot back on, and then going back upstairs to get dressed being a bit much.
2: the 'full-fat' cottage cheese which is the only 'treat' I'd been allowing myself recently, before the ankle, was obviously more of an issue than I realised. I shall have to avoid.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6988 on: 09 August, 2019, 07:52:32 pm »
Lost 4kg since the 8th of July.  Probably due to surgery to fix twisted bowel, and not eating anything for the best part of 6 days...  :-\

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6989 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:02:53 pm »
Much of that weight will be muscle and fluid; don't expect much fitness until you've regained 2.5-3kg.
Sorry!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6990 on: 10 August, 2019, 12:32:14 am »
So far, since leaving Slimming World, I haven't put on any weight. If anything, I think there has been a slight loss, but my week of recovery from the Dunwich Dynamo was pretty calorific. It's all pretty slow now. I have set myself a target of losing 5kg between now and the end of the year. I am still mostly avoiding beer and cake. Allowing myself some bread, but not every day.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6991 on: 14 August, 2019, 10:12:58 am »
And 105kg again. I first got down to that weight at the end of May. Every week since when I have weighed myself, bar 1, I have been 105kg. That 1 was 106kg.

I thought that I might just dip below that figure today but my pal Jon invited me for beer last night. I think it will come.

« Reply #6992 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:37:23 am »
I'm back on WW, having been doing SW on and off for a few years. WW seem to be a bit more flexible and manageable and the app is much , much better (there really is no excuse these days for the uselessness of the SW app). Things had gone a bit catastrophic after stopping SW the last time. Anyway, I've lost over 10kg so far, so it's going ok. This month they have a bingo card, which is actually giving me an incentive to try some things that I wouldn't otherwise do.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #6993 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:05:17 am »
Have you ever wondered what difference muscle makes to your weight? Well, I think I have at least part of the answer.

I'm just arrived back (yet again, OK, but better than never) into the Losing Weight State of Mind. That means, I have  Made The Step Onto The Scales. Knowing what my current waistline is, I was expecting 107+Kg, whaddyaknow? I only crank up to 102. So I should be happy, yes? Except that I know that the difference is that I have lost almost every vestige of fitness. It therefore follows that decent (or perhaps I should say semi-decent) muscle tone is responsible for about 5% of your body weight. You can therefore legitimately adjust the BMI readings accordingly.

Yours,

Ham. By name and by nature. Addressing the weighty matters in life.

« Reply #6994 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:22:28 am »
One of the results of my extensive health check was the doctor telling me I needed to not lose any more weight. So, had extensive discussion on how to track my calorie intake vs requirements.
I assume I have a pretty good knowledge of nutrition.
They advised me to try an app/web application called Cronometer.

You can input exercise, foods (including creating common meals and scanning barcodes). It calculates the calories you are burning vs your intake, shows the nutritional breakdown of the foods you are consuming.

The results, even after just one day, are enlightening. On a 'training day', I was ending up nearly 900 calories in deficit, despite snacking, eating a 3 course meal out and what I thought were reasonable meals. My protein intake was only 60%  and carbs 80% of requirement!

No wonder I haven't had sustainable power for 1-2hr events, and I keep losing weight.

I can see how the app (it will work from a browser or android app) would be useful for someone wanting to keep to a weight loss diet as well. Showing the figures and charts to my partner (who would like to lose weight) made her re-evaluate how she views my eating vs hers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6995 on: 29 August, 2019, 12:29:07 pm »
I used Cronometer at the beginning of the year when starting Keto properly and I found it a very good app.

I paid for it but actually the free version would have been fine.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6996 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:09:18 pm »
Umm.... Are the graphs borked?

simonp

« Reply #6997 on: 18 September, 2019, 01:52:45 pm »

Seem to be - not just not updated but missing.

Did I forget to put 50p in the meter?

Edit: No, paid in April. I'll have to look into it later if they don't come back.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6998 on: 18 September, 2019, 02:27:50 pm »

Seem to be - not just not updated but missing.

Did I forget to put 50p in the meter?

Edit: No, paid in April. I'll have to look into it later if they don't come back.

Thanks!

I looked late last night and thought I'd look again during daylight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6999 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:14:57 pm »
And they're back!

Thanks Simon!