Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 221952 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #1000 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:21:18 pm »
Would some kind of visualisation showing a percentage above or below each rider's relative target allow all the riders to be shown on the same page?

« Reply #1001 on: 03 January, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »
jo, have the words 'sucker for punishment' ever been directed at you ?

:-)
Rust never sleeps

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1002 on: 03 January, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
Would some kind of visualisation showing a percentage above or below each rider's relative target allow all the riders to be shown on the same page?

Sorry, Jo, I shot that off without thinking about the work it would involve. Feel free to tell me to wind my neck in!! ;)

« Reply #1003 on: 03 January, 2016, 02:38:08 pm »
I've calculated that in 2015 I've spent over 400 hours on visualizing and reporting various aspects of the OYTT. That's equivalent to 10 weeks of full-time work.

was 399 of them spent scratching your head trying to piece together the nonsense that Miles was posting on Strava?  ;D

all in all, excellent work, the graphs/heat map images are whats kept me coming back time after time  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1004 on: 03 January, 2016, 02:58:48 pm »
I've calculated that in 2015 I've spent over 400 hours on ...
If it's not on strava,
 it didn't happen.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1005 on: 03 January, 2016, 02:59:43 pm »
Have you ever thought of getting your graphs crowd-funded, jo?  ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1006 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:27:41 pm »
According to Strava the number of hours ridden in 2015 are
~ 4300 hours by Steve
~ 4100 hours by Kurt (around 100 hours might to be added till 9th January).

Does anybody know how many hours Tommy Godwin spent riding?

Maybe Steve has set a new "HAHR"-record (highets annual hours record) despite his broken ankle.

« Reply #1007 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »
Thank you Jo, for this, and for the huge amount of time you have already put into the graphs.  Much appreciated, and I am sure we will all understand if you have to reduce the updates from a daily occurrence with the amount of time and effort required. 
Does not play well with others

« Reply #1008 on: 03 January, 2016, 06:22:06 pm »
According to Strava the number of hours ridden in 2015 are
~ 4300 hours by Steve
~ 4100 hours by Kurt (around 100 hours might to be added till 9th January).

Does anybody know how many hours Tommy Godwin spent riding?

Maybe Steve has set a new "HAHR"-record (highets annual hours record) despite his broken ankle.

That is a very inisightful post.  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1009 on: 03 January, 2016, 06:58:57 pm »
Thank you Jo, for this, and for the huge amount of time you have already put into the graphs.  Much appreciated, and I am sure we will all understand if you have to reduce the updates from a daily occurrence with the amount of time and effort required.

yes, fully agree. a weekly graph and summary would be sufficient, perhaps with the Kurt's line as an x-axis.

many thanks for the graphs - it would almost be impossible to know the situation without them!

« Reply #1010 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:03:21 pm »

That is a very inisightful post.  :thumbsup:

I've just remembered this post from Jo from 1st Jan https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87407.msg1966704#msg1966704] where he reports 51% of available hours on the bike for Steve in 2015. Do we know Tommy's average speed for his year (I'm wondering whether it is likely that Steve is the only person to have spent over 50% of a single year of his life cycling)? I make no apologies for the sad nature of this post...

red marley

« Reply #1011 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »
%time moving on the bike and average moving speeds have been reported daily at http://gicentre.org/oytt/ in the green bit at the bottom.

Both Steve and Kurt have exceeded 50% in 2015. Steve's reboot attempt, assuming he sees it through to August will likely be greater than 51%.

« Reply #1012 on: 03 January, 2016, 11:04:56 pm »
%time moving on the bike and average moving speeds have been reported daily at http://gicentre.org/oytt/ in the green bit at the bottom.

Both Steve and Kurt have exceeded 50% in 2015. Steve's reboot attempt, assuming he sees it through to August will likely be greater than 51%.

Thank you, jo, for this hint.

Your data is taken from the trackers, I presume!? Strava obviously encompasses riding time slightly differently (perhaps taking small stops as non-riding-time), resulting for both riders in a higher average speed. According to Strava-data (which has not been cleared of some minor errors) Kurt spent 48.3% of the hours 2015 (starting on 10th January) cycling (4106 hours at 18.1 mph ) and Steve 49.3% (4317 hours at 14.7 mph) (see table below).

Anyway, I guess data on riding time was hardly measurable accurately during Tommy's 1939 ride, so we won't be able to compare with him.

Although having several weeks with no to little riding after his accident, Steve seems to have spent more hours in the saddle 2015 than Kurt .
His endurance and determination are incredible, but his speed really limits him. 

%hours // mph // ~"miles"
Kurt         
Strava   48,3%  // 18,1   // 74.956
jo         51%     // 17,1   //  74.931
Steve         
Strava   49,3%  // 14,7  // 63.651
jo         51%     // 14,3  //  63.565

red marley

« Reply #1013 on: 04 January, 2016, 10:09:36 am »
Day 149 / 3: Kurt eases off the gas just a little, completing 188 miles around Flatwood Park some of which was in heavy rain. This leaves him just 142 miles short of Tommy Godwin's record and 6 days remaining. Steve feeling a little rough rides north to Goole in poor winter weather, bedding down for the night after 161 miles. Bruce puts in another strong performance with more climbing and high average speed for a total of 210 miles. Kajsa rides a loop south of Nottingham with the poor weather cutting her day a little shorter than planned at 87 miles. This still leaves her 55 miles ahead of the Dovey line though.

« Reply #1014 on: 04 January, 2016, 10:24:35 am »
Thanks Jo

red marley

« Reply #1015 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:16:50 pm »
Day 360 / 150 / 4: After 360 days of hard toiling, Kurt takes the new world record for the furthest ridden in a year. His 190 day of Flatwood loops takes his total to 75,113 miles with five more days of riding left to lengthen the record.

In other news, Steve loops around the flatlands of east Yorkshire avoiding the worst of the floods to the north and rain to the south. His 181 mile day sees him around 2,240 below the Godwin line approximately midway between Tommy's average pace and his actual pace by day 150. Bruce continues to push out fast and hilly miles around Adelaide, this time accumulating another 210 miles. Kajsa has a longer day making up for the previous day's shortfall then riding her planned route, in all giving her 104 miles and 77 above the Dovey line.

« Reply #1016 on: 05 January, 2016, 05:49:24 pm »
Which thread will get to 100,000 views first? 

Will it be the ‘Visualizing the OYTT’ started by Jo.  This is a steady thread, based on facts and figures, very little argument is encountered and everything is always clear and concise.  Sometimes a rather silly comment is raised but using numbers the issue is quickly dealt with by Jo. It is many people’s go to thread first thing in the morning.
Or will it be ‘Current thoughts on the record attempt?’ started by Jochta.  This is an erratic thread, based on personal thoughts and sometimes even fantasy.  Quite often, like a cycling peloton, this rolls along quietly, everybody is friendly but suddenly it kicks off for no apparent reason.   Emotions run high, minor arguments are plentiful and nobody clouds the issues with facts.  It appears to be the thread for people who are bored at work and bored at home.

About the only thing the above have in common is that everybody who posts or views these threads, wishes Steve Abraham the best, we just have different ways of showing it.

I enjoy both threads; please keep up the good work. 
The race to 100k views will be gripping.
(To show my impartiality I will post this message on both threads)

red marley

« Reply #1017 on: 05 January, 2016, 08:58:52 pm »
Someone, somewhere in the hundreds of posts that have been made on the OYTT in the last few days asked for a graphic of Steve's day and night riding. Here's Steve movement chart (top row Jan 1st 2015, bottom row Jan 4th 2016; time from midnight to midnight left to right; red=movement; moving speed on right) with hours of darkness shown. These are approximate as they are based on twilight in Milton Keynes (is there any other kind?):

and the full sized version for detailed analysis.

Either through choice or necessity it is clear that Steve is riding many more dark hours in recent months than earlier in the challenge.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1018 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:42:58 pm »
^ gorgeous ^

red marley

« Reply #1019 on: 05 January, 2016, 10:47:19 pm »
I think it was Alex who asked for a chart of stopped time for Steve and Kurt. You can make an approximate judgement from the movement charts above, but to aid comparison I've calculated the proportion of time stopped for both riders.  This is based on finding the start and end of each day's ride and then between those points counting the five minute intervals for each rider where there is no movement as a proportion of the total number of five minute intervals between the start and end of the ride. To remove complications of post midnight late finishes, I've excluded midnight-3am.

Steve in red, Kurt in blue, thick lines a rolling seven day average:

« Reply #1020 on: 05 January, 2016, 11:09:26 pm »
I think it was Alex who asked for a chart of stopped time for Steve and Kurt.

Perfect, thanks jo.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1021 on: 06 January, 2016, 08:41:48 am »
One thing that immediately stuck me when looking at the "day and night riding" graphic: the moped accident seems to have had a noticeable effect on the consistency of Steve's morning routine. Before the accident he was pretty regular about starting between 5 and 6am, but but he has never managed to get back into that regular habit post-accident.

« Reply #1022 on: 06 January, 2016, 08:51:39 am »
Someone, somewhere in the hundreds of posts that have been made on the OYTT in the last few days asked for a graphic of Steve's day and night riding. Here's Steve movement chart (top row Jan 1st 2015, bottom row Jan 4th 2016; time from midnight to midnight left to right; red=movement; moving speed on right) with hours of darkness shown. These are approximate as they are based on twilight in Milton Keynes (is there any other kind?):
;D that is rather fabulous.  I'm sure it wouldn't take too many more hundreds of hours of your hard work to display the hours of darkness appropriate to his location  ;) 

red marley

« Reply #1023 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:04:21 am »
I did consider incorporating location specific sunrise/sunset data into that visualization (which I had done anyway for this), but the effect is only to change times by a few minutes within the typical ranges he is cycling. Given that twilight and weather means that in terms of road visibility light/dark probably has a precision of half an hour or so, it didn't really seem worth it.

« Reply #1024 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
One thing that immediately stuck me when looking at the "day and night riding" graphic: the moped accident seems to have had a noticeable effect on the consistency of Steve's morning routine. Before the accident he was pretty regular about starting between 5 and 6am, but but he has never managed to get back into that regular habit post-accident.

I think when steve was suffering excessive tiredness around about June ish he took to waking up when he did and starting between 9 and 10 am.  In this respect he only has one rush hour to cope with but of course more riding in the dark