Author Topic: Graeme Obree comes out  (Read 4594 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Graeme Obree comes out
« on: 01 February, 2011, 10:08:43 am »

Re: Graeme Obree comes out
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:12:08 am »
Poor tormented man. I hope this allows him a little more mental peace.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:17:55 am »
Dear Gods, reading his story reminds me that for so many people in the UK, it's still not okay to be gay.  He's been through so much and I really hope that from here on in, it gets better.

I just want to give him a massive hug.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:21:50 am »
As I read the link I was thginking that he must be a lot older than I thought. He's not. The law was changed when he was TWO. OK so maybe his parents were narrow minded bigots - but hey he still likes them!

I don't see it as a basis for his undoubted mental health problems.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:24:38 am »
I seem to recall his dad was a copper and he got bullied about that at school which probably didn't help.  Being gay when it was illegal with a father in the Force would have been reason enough not to come out, without getting the shit kicked out of you at school too.

Makes me glad I grew up in t'countryside.

LindaG

« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:25:30 am »
You'd be surprised how much homophobia is still around, regardless of the legal position.  I know people who won't allow male nurses to care for them, as they perceive them to be gay.  

It's a complex picture.

Let's hope Graeme is on the way to mental wellness.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:31:47 am »
Anybody who's read his book will know he's been through some real struggles with himself, and I had a suspicion that there was something more to his story.

Sadly though, I've found this is not uncommon, even when your family and friends are pretty liberal and tolerant. Good luck to Graeme, a real one-off in the usually pretty dull world of professional cyclists.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:36:41 am »
I'm pleased for Graeme that he has felt able to come out.  For most people, coming out is a difficult process.  It's a different matter if you're in the public spotlight like, say George Michael or Elton John (who we knew about anyway).  Worst of all, I imagine, is living reasonably quietly, as Graeme has, and knowing that the act of coming out itself will put you in the spotlight.  Not easy at all, and I wish him all the happiness and ease of mind from hereon.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:25:52 pm »
Perhaps that spotlight is the biggest problem? I don't know, I'm sure attitudes vary everywhere. But last December I was in a travel agent's in Bristol buying a ticket to Poland, and the bloke selling me the ticket, who I'd dealt with before, starts telling me how he'd always wanted to go to a Polish wedding. The reason was that he used to share a flat with some Poles, who had told him what fun weddings are there - and I can confirm this!  :) And then he mentioned that these flatmates of his were gay, and the way he said it - totally casual, throw away piece of information, not worthy of comment - and to a customer whose views he has no way of knowing - made me think, "Wow, many things have changed since I last lived in England and one of them is that being gay is no longer worthy of interest." But maybe that was just a freak incident.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2011, 03:47:16 am »
I'd like to give him a kiss and a hug and tell him what an inspiration he has been.  Love the guy.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2011, 08:50:04 am »
86 minute Obree podcast here.  The 'interviewers' just prompt occasionally and the great man chats away, very relaxed, talking about the bikes, the positions, the records, and his attitudes to doping, the UCI, and his opponents.  Fascinating stuff.

« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2011, 12:43:49 pm »
. The law was changed when he was TWO. OK so maybe his parents were narrow minded bigots - but hey he still likes them!

Whether or not it doesn't matter - my stepsons parents were nothing but broadminded and supportive - and he still didn't come out to them until he was 22.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2011, 03:50:09 pm »
Sheep we're off again.

« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:47:22 pm »
Apologies if there's a reference to this elsewhere on the forum [I did look], but here's a recent television interview. For those that know the mans history then there's nothing really new, but it's interesting to see him face to face so to speak. Mentally, he looks in pretty decent shape to me.
Garry Broad

« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:30:45 am »
Thank you for posting this link, a very interesting interview.    It's good to see that he seems to have overcome his mental problems.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2012, 09:39:35 am »
For anyone in London, Graeme Obree is doing a book signing next Thursday (19th) at 6pm at Look Mum No Hands.

I saw him speak at an event a couple of months ago, and his passion for cycling and engineering was infectious.  He seemed happy, well and comfortable.

I'll have to watch the Hardtalk interview later - thanks VB!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2012, 10:30:53 am »
As I read the link I was thginking that he must be a lot older than I thought. He's not. The law was changed when he was TWO. OK so maybe his parents were narrow minded bigots - but hey he still likes them!

I don't see it as a basis for his undoubted mental health problems.

IIRC his father ws a scottish policeman ,nuff said