Author Topic: An evening with...  (Read 1139 times)

An evening with...
« on: 20 January, 2010, 11:29:05 am »
Last night I went to a talk.

2 speakers: Paul Kimmage and James Bowthorpe

Paul K comes across as obsessed, bitter & twisted and vindictive. It was a little disturbing. I can see why he's campaigned as he has, but his anti-Lance stance seemed just nasty (and I'm no fan of Mr Armstrong).

James Bowthorpe in comparison was a delight; funny, self-deprecating and charming. If you get the chance to hear him, go.

So, an evening of cycling discussion for cyclists.
How many travelled there on their bike? Erm, just me then....

Snugsy

Re: An evening with...
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2010, 12:18:01 pm »

Paul K comes across as obsessed, bitter & twisted and vindictive.

That's just what I thought when I read his book. He didn't seem to be able to be satisfied with just riding the best he could and ignoring the dopers. Not cut out for competitive riding no matter how fit and fast he was, IMHO.

OTOH what's security like at the venue? I'm going to the Riverside films on Sunday, but I won't be cycling because I don't want to carry QR beam rack, rack pack, bottles, pump, speedo and h*lm*t around in a dark, cramped, stuffy theatre.

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2010, 12:46:59 pm »
OTOH what's security like at the venue? I'm going to the Riverside films on Sunday, but I won't be cycling because I don't want to carry QR beam rack, rack pack, bottles, pump, speedo and h*lm*t around in a dark, cramped, stuffy theatre.

The Greene King Social Club. On the GK site, guarded entrance barriers etc, couldn't be more secure, but I take your point.

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »
the dopers. Not cut out for competitive riding no matter how fit and fast he was, IMHO.

Same here. I'll be going to the Riverside films too. Instead of my usual being the only one cycling to a cyclist event, I'll catch the train instead.
I'd prefer to cycle, but cycling through London when you don't know the way isn't much fun. I also won't chance my bike by locking it up in the street unattended. My rubbish bike, I would,but not one that is goos enough to get me comfortably to London.
I usualy don't bother with anything if it doesn't have satisfactory cycle parking, but I'm making an exception this time.