Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118208 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #400 on: 02 February, 2019, 02:05:46 pm »
85 brevets counted out on the road, from an entry of 141, look forward to counting 85 back in this afternoon!
(plus 5 helpers from last week who enjoyed just slightly higher temperatures)

You’re moist welcome to count my brevet  ;D

« Reply #401 on: 02 February, 2019, 04:35:36 pm »
Just shouted a quick word of encouragement to/at The Straggler as he passed through Coggeshall...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #402 on: 02 February, 2019, 05:56:21 pm »
It was definitely "bracing" out there today.

It was hard work with a pretty strong wind (not me vicar) and very low temperatures, as low as 0.5 according to Garmin.  Feet were numb from about 30km into it, body varying between sweaty as the sun came out to chuffing cold as it disappeared again.  I didn't do a pub stop, preferring to just keep riding as it was so cold I wanted to avoid the painful feet of warming up followed by the re-chilling.

As a first long ride in 3 months, it was sub-par by my usual expectations, but fulfilled the "just get round" requirement.  Fracture site only complained once when I got out of the saddle on a hill, back was niggly all day, just to be expected, and the hip flexors complained from about 75km.  Overall though it was just what I needed mentally, to know I can still do it and to put some of the nervousness to bed.

As usual a great even from ACME, nice clear route and cheerfull checkpoints even in the cold.  Thanks very much organising team. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #403 on: 02 February, 2019, 06:58:42 pm »
I ece'd in the car in the end... It was bracing in that wind. Started in the 9:30 group and caught Phyclist and AB on single speeds, both on 200s, and took on the bracing headwind sections in company. They sensibly elected to stop at 't compasses, but I figured I might as well do a continuous 100 just for practice. A couple of minutes off the bike meant an average speed of 25k got me back at quarter past two, quickly followed by a rissotto and apple crumble and back to London by 4:30. Not proud of skipping a 200, but hey, PBP's a mental game right?

Special thanks to Nik, Ian and Jason standing around in the fecking cold stamping cards - above and beyond!

« Reply #404 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:29:24 pm »
There was still a little bit of snow on the ground where I live in London, and I was expecting worse conditions out in the countryside. But apart from being a bit cold and headwinds never ceasing whichever way we were riding, the weather was unremarkable.

I was amazed at the size of the 9:30 group I saw leaving when I was driving into town - that must have been more than half the field. The 10:00 start was very quiet in comparison. Maybe I should have got there earlier...

Thanks all organisers and helpers, especially the ones standing out in the cold!

« Reply #405 on: 02 February, 2019, 11:50:35 pm »
Thanks to everyone involved in the running. The controllers out in the cold deserve special mention, and especially the lady outside Coggershall Coop who I thought was a controller but was in fact collecting signatures against the closure of the local library ::-)

« Reply #406 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:30:17 am »
That was all a bit harder than it should have been ... I suspect my chosen single gear was a little high for the conditions, so wore me down battling into the wind.

Loopy gritted road ECE via Thaxsted in the morning was good, and informed my decision to shed a layer at Witham, as it wasn’t really that cold. Then it was quick progress round to Margaretting, and a steady plod up to the Compasses for a well earned huffer. The afternoon felt cooler, but some further lovely lanes helped the ride to pass pleasantly back to Witham. The return ECE into the wind was a grind, but temps were still ok, dipping to 0 towards the end, so really it just needed some steady pacing to return home.

Much admiration for tippers, jibers and BFC for stamping duties in rather cool and blowy conditions. Huge thanks for Huggy, Tomsk and mini-Huggy for their desk duties in the warmth and cordial environment of the spoons, and for putting on a ride which has such good lanes despite being suitable for the winter series.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #407 on: 03 February, 2019, 11:17:40 am »
After last year’s disaster on this ride I was determined to make it round in time or Huggy probably wouldn’t let me ride it again.

I didn’t make things easy though, I said I would leave with 09:30 starters as I arrived at the spoons way too early but ended up leaving at 10:00 with Jem, Chris and the usual ACME crew, so I was already half an hour behind time and there was quite a bit of headwind to deal with.

Luckily though the roads were ice free and just a bit wet. Good progress was made past the first three controls, finally got to have a Tippers‘ motorcycle and a busy lunch st The Compasses. There was some talk of cutting the ride short here and heading back to the spoons but the Audax spirit prevailed for most of our group and we continued to follow the route back to the finish.

That said one of group did have a gear cable snap but an adjustment to the limit screws on the derailleur enabled everyone to finish... in time!

Thanks to ACME for organising and standing out in the cold which I’m sure was more difficult than riding.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #408 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:24:23 pm »
Just shouted a quick word of encouragement to/at The Straggler as he passed through Coggeshall...

Nick, cheers for your greeting and for giving way to me and the Big Saxon at the road narrowing  :thumbsup:......I nearly mistaken it for something else.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #409 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:32:59 am »
I was lucky enough to get positioned at Purleigh which being very close to the start meant the shortest time on the spot. I had a great time stamping you all through, lots of banter and chit chat from a steady flow of riders (other than a small break between the 09:30 and 10am start groups). Once I had served my time I headed over to the compasses with the luxury of heated grips and an engine where I enjoyed some lunch with Bernster and Psyclist before leaving ahead of the gathering masses to get home and earn some brownie points (in the way of a trip to the Maldon Waffle Bar which I can absolutely recommend btw).

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #410 on: 05 February, 2019, 02:34:46 pm »
Just to echo everyone else's comments - a huge thank you to Grant, and all organisers and helpers over all rides in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed all four of them, in spite struggling somewhat on Saturday and was very happy to be awarded my ACME winter series patch at the end of it. It's always good to see friendly faces at checkpoints so credit to BFC, Tippers and JiberJaber for braving the cold to stamp us all through. Any ride that goes to the spiritual home gets my approval, and as usual the beer and huffer combo didn't disappoint.

Looking forward to some warmer weather now, and some more cycling both in Essex and beyond  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #411 on: 05 February, 2019, 05:41:03 pm »
I had a look back at last years timing, and despite saying it felt much hardercthis year, I was less than twentvminutes slower riding time so pretty pleased with that.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #412 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:46:01 pm »
We need to start planning the 2019/20 ACME Anvil Winter Series, folks ...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #413 on: 27 May, 2019, 08:49:33 pm »
The usual November and February rides have been submitted to the event planner for the first Saturday of the month.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #414 on: 28 May, 2019, 07:38:18 am »
The usual November and February rides have been submitted to the event planner for the first Saturday of the month.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #415 on: 28 May, 2019, 09:25:07 am »
I am working on a new improved version of the Oyster for January.

It will still have all the old favourites - the high peaks of Mid-Essex, oysters in Mersea and a pub that isn't a Spoons - but should have less over-distance and a nicer route into Colchester.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #416 on: 28 May, 2019, 06:45:33 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #417 on: 28 May, 2019, 07:38:34 pm »
I am working on a new improved version of the Oyster for January.

It will still have all the old favourites - the high peaks of Mid-Essex, oysters in Mersea and a pub that isn't a Spoons - but should have less over-distance and a nicer route into Colchester.

Sounds good!  What sort of weather have you organised?

« Reply #418 on: 28 May, 2019, 08:06:45 pm »
Having called in at the wildlife Trust place at fringinghoe, it could make a nice control? It is an opportunity to warm up before a chilled oyster at Mersea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #419 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »
Sounds good!  What sort of weather have you organised?

Don't be so ridiculous, it's far too far away for that.  I won't be able to let you have an accurate forecast until at least the start of July.

Having called in at the wildlife Trust place at fringinghoe, it could make a nice control? It is an opportunity to warm up before a chilled oyster at Mersea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If I ever find the time, that might feature on my Gravelly Oyster alternative route as there are some nice bike trails around there.  It's just not very far from Mersea.

« Reply #420 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:40:20 pm »
that might feature on my Gravelly Oyster alternative route as there are some nice bike trails around there

That sounds very interesting, especially if there's scope for other similar 'excursions' elsewhere on the route

ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #421 on: 29 May, 2019, 12:49:03 pm »
There is but it will be a bit of a parallel route and, sadly, not gravelly enough to qualify as an off road route.

I just need to get the A&S out of the way and I can get back to exploring the options.

If anyone else knows of any decent (and lawful) off road routes in the vicinity of the ride let me know.  So far, I have a bit around Pebmarsh, a nice section between Stanway and (almost) Mersea via Fingringhoe and a few odds and sods.  There is also the option of the Maldon rail trail on the way back.

« Reply #422 on: 29 May, 2019, 01:37:26 pm »
If anyone else knows of any decent (and lawful) off road routes in the vicinity of the ride let me know.  So far, I have a bit around Pebmarsh, a nice section between Stanway and (almost) Mersea via Fingringhoe and a few odds and sods.  There is also the option of the Maldon rail trail on the way back.

I presume you're aware of the Essex PRoW interactive map at https://www.essexhighways.org/getting-around/public-rights-of-way/prow-interactive-map.aspx

I've had a check and apart from one or two short-ish tracks there doesn't seem to be much beyond the places you've identified. But then I'm not hugely familiar with the area, so others might have other suggestions. I do like the idea of having alternative options taking us off the usual route for some adventure.

I'd be happy to check out the proposed off-road sections at some point over the next few months.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #423 on: 20 October, 2019, 03:05:03 pm »
Anyone to help at the start/finish of the Stansted Airport Express [7th Dec]? Helper's Ride on the Saturday before: 30th November., unless the one before that is preferred? I suggest starting at 09:30, as Thremhall Cafe shuts at 13:00 on Saturdays, [but will stay open later on the event day].

BFC has already offered to be on bidon-filling duties at Thremhall, as the cafe will be short-staffed - one of the ladies is getting married. I've already negotiated a simplified menu to [I hope] keep things running smoothly. Other cafe options are available and will be detailed in the rider information, of course.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #424 on: 20 October, 2019, 03:44:34 pm »
A provisional yes, I’ll know for sure nearer the time.