Author Topic: Killing Eve (normal TV series)  (Read 4787 times)

Re: Killing Eve (normal TV series)
« Reply #25 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:12:10 am »
You've completely misunderstood the entire premise of the story, Ben.

Ben T

« Reply #26 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:14:55 am »
You've completely misunderstood the entire premise of the story, Ben.
Which is?

« Reply #27 on: 05 November, 2018, 10:30:48 am »
...that Eve's feelings towards Villanelle are contradictory

Ben T

« Reply #28 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:41:02 am »
...that Eve's feelings towards Villanelle are contradictory

Well obviously - I got that. But that's just a simple idea, surely?! That to me should just be one theme, of many, running through the plot - it shouldn't form the entire basis of the plot. There's got to be (melo)drama around that - a story with motivations and outcomes, and a beginning, middle and an end.
To me, it's weak for that to form the entire basis of the ending, as it detracts from Eve's character - it's unrealistic, because no matter how confused she was about her feelings for her, she wouldn't do that.
I don't think I failed to appreciate that Eve's feelings towards Villanelle are contradictory - but maybe I failed to understand that that was all it was about. And was massively disappointed when that was the case.

No, it's just too convenient - the purpose of the ending was a hook, nothing more. We don't know what happened to Eve as a result and I'm not sure we even know whether Villanelle died or not. Oh, what a shame, we'll just have to watch the second series to find out.  ::-) ::-)

« Reply #29 on: 05 November, 2018, 12:19:01 pm »
So you wanted a simple clichéd story about good against evil? There are plenty of those from which to choose.

Ben T

« Reply #30 on: 05 November, 2018, 12:34:23 pm »
I want the ending to be at least slightly realistic, and to at least round the story off - is it not possible to do both those things without it being clichéd?
(click to show/hide)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 05 November, 2018, 12:43:12 pm »
It was a pretty decent final episode overall. (best to rank it against every cliff-hanger final episode ever made for telly - they're a pretty rum bunch!)

But that final moment was just too ridiculous.

(click to show/hide)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ben T

« Reply #32 on: 05 November, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »
exactly

« Reply #33 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:09:28 pm »
It's fucking telly for Christ's sake. You know, 'suspension of disbelief' and all that.

I thought the final scenes were amazing. We didn't know what Eve or Villanelle would do. Would Villanelle kill Eve? Would Eve kill Villanelle? Would there be hot lezzy action??

There were all sorts of things tied up in that stabbing, one of which was Eve betraying both Villanelle and her own feelings. Of course Villanelle was not going to die, or be arrested. She escaped, and the fact of Eve attempting to kill her then save her opens up a whole dynamic for how Villanelle will respond in Series 2.

I'm looking forward to it.

Ben T

« Reply #34 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:36:53 pm »
It's fucking telly for Christ's sake. You know, 'suspension of disbelief' and all that.

I thought the final scenes were amazing. We didn't know what Eve or Villanelle would do. Would Villanelle kill Eve? Would Eve kill Villanelle? Would there be hot lezzy action??

There were all sorts of things tied up in that stabbing, one of which was Eve betraying both Villanelle and her own feelings. Of course Villanelle was not going to die, or be arrested. She escaped, and the fact of Eve attempting to kill her then save her opens up a whole dynamic for how Villanelle will respond in Series 2.

I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah but she didn't try to kill her - that's my point - or didn't try very hard. If that was meant to be an attempt to kill her, it was a pretty shite attempt, especially given that she's a spy and should be fairly familiar with weapons and killing techniques, etc.

If she'd punched her, chances are she'd survive. If she'd shot her in the head, chances are she'd be killed. But stabbing her is pretty much the most uncertain in terms of whether she will survive or not. As a spy she would know that - so what was her motivation? If she wanted her to stay alive, stabbing her is not the best way of serving that purpose - but equally, if she'd actually wanted to kill her, stabbing her isn't the best way of serving that purpose either. The only purpose stabbing her serves is to create unnatural uncertainty purely to create an artificial cliffhanger.
It would have been far better if she'd arrested her, then fell in love with her, then "accidentally on purpose" slipped up and "let" her out.

« Reply #35 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:47:42 pm »
Stabbing is a very effective way of killing people.

Why do you assume that an MI5 agent would have any combat skills or knowledge. Many of them are essentially bureaucrats. James Bond is not reality, you know.

Ben T

« Reply #36 on: 05 November, 2018, 03:57:16 pm »
Stabbing is a very effective way of killing people.

NOt if there's a gun available - which there was...

« Reply #37 on: 05 November, 2018, 05:06:59 pm »
Am I being bonjed?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #38 on: 05 November, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »
I'd answer that if I had any idea what it meant...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #39 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:47:49 pm »
I enjoyed the series, but Eve's personal attraction to Villanelle broke my suspension of disbelief - I thought Eve's intellectual interest in Villanelle-as-killer made sense, but didn't think Jodie Comer's performance was magnetic enough to explain multiple characters' quasi-romantic/erotic obsession with her, especially as they'd also seen her murderous psychopathy in action. Still, all very stylish and blackly funny, and I'll be tuning in for season 2.