Author Topic: Wheel woes on the challenge fujin SL  (Read 5714 times)

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
Re: Wheel woes on the challenge fujin SL
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2011, 10:48:51 pm »
Did you measure the distance between the dropouts precisely. I would be surprised if it were not 135 since my Challenge Seiran is 135mm.

If you want to save a few pounds at the expense of 70g or so, compared to the Hope, I would suggest a Shimano XT hub or even a Deore. Shimano hubs are pretty indestructible if you regrease the bearings once a year. Speak to Al at Wheelcraft - he'll build you a very good wheel for less than most - 01360 312 709, and pretty quickly too.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 07 August, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
Deore hubs are more durable than the latest XT hubs, according to recent reports on the forum.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #27 on: 07 August, 2011, 11:31:42 pm »
+1 re Al at Wheelcraft. Built me a very nice, recumbent specific, pair of wheels a couple of seasons ago.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »
Deore hubs are more durable than the latest XT hubs, according to recent reports on the forum.

The older XT hubs with the thinner steel axle (and therefore decent sized bearings) are still available - I recently bought one from SJS.  Not sure they're especially lightweight, though.

« Reply #29 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:43:25 pm »
Last winter I treated my ICE B2 to a set of Hope Pro 2 hubs on Mavic XC717 rims / Scwalbe Kojak tyres. Nice lightish wheels that seem tough as well. Remember you save the weight of a bell. Just freewheel as you are approaching human obstacle and they jump for their lives!

OT, but can I ask how you get on with those new wheels?  I was considering a similar alternate wheelset for my B2 at some point.

Was wondering if the more rounded rim profile might catch crosswinds on the front wheel less?

« Reply #30 on: 10 August, 2011, 03:23:35 pm »
Last winter I treated my ICE B2 to a set of Hope Pro 2 hubs on Mavic XC717 rims / Scwalbe Kojak tyres. Nice lightish wheels that seem tough as well. Remember you save the weight of a bell. Just freewheel as you are approaching human obstacle and they jump for their lives!

OT, but can I ask how you get on with those new wheels?  I was considering a similar alternate wheelset for my B2 at some point.

Was wondering if the more rounded rim profile might catch crosswinds on the front wheel less?

So far I'm very pleased. The bike feels more dynamic and seems to go better than ever. They have remained true (and they come with a pair of spare spokes).

Re the effects of side winds on rims. Could steering input be contributing? The steering on my B2 felt 'quick' compared to my Giro 26ATT. I also found the standard OC bars to be too narrow and reached too far back.  So I transferred the bars, stem and BFT from the Giro to the B2. The result is slower steering, less interference with my thighs and better at sharp slow left and right turns e.g. at the beginning / end of cycle paths. (I think the wider bars 'gear down' the steering so it slows responses - Of course I may be completely wrong!!!)

Cheers

John

« Reply #31 on: 10 August, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
Thanks; sounds good.  I'll keep it on the fantasy upgrade list. :D

I don't think it's steering input.  I'm on the hamster bars rather than OC (feels comfy to me, and I can turn them as far as I like without hitting legs).  I just feel strong side gusts as a tug on the steering, and wondered if the combination of a rounder rim and slightly narrower tyre had a small effect.  I think the tug is no more than it would be an upright, but in that case my upper body weight is already resting on the bars to muffle it.  Maybe you hold the bars a bit firmer on OC? I hold mine really quite lightly.

You're probably right about wider bars.