Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3006564 times)

I undress for comfort.

Though it discomfits the postman.
In summer only.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Does anyone else remember Meltis New Berry Fruits including a pear-flavoured one?  It used to be my favourite, but at some point it disappeared.  I'm wondering now if they used something toxic.

I'm fairly sure our milkman was offering New Berry Fruits last Christmas.

I didn't order any.
I don't know if they were Meltis.
I don't know which flavours were in the box.

Amyl acetate is the standard 'pear drops' flavour ester.

I don't know if there's been any recent edict about this.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It wouldn't have been recent: I think it went over 30 years ago, maybe 40.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My s-i-l is a pub quizmaster and sets questions for the same. My daughter contacted me this afternoon to ask if I was aware that Lasker had invented the mechanical breast pump, this interesting fact being considered for inclusion in some form in their next quiz. I had to admit that I was not. I am certain that my daughter was referring to Emmanuel Lasker, the 2nd World Chess Champion. However, I had a quick google to verify her assertion and found that the inventor of the breast pump was Edward Lasker, a US chess master and a much weaker player. Edward Lasker did actually write a pretty good self-tutor on chess and it was amongst the first chess books that I bought, probably in about 1973 or 1974, but his chief claim to fame as a chess player is in having the same surname as a Very Great Player Indeed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
It's quite interesting to watch the reaction on airport security's faces when the swab of your insulin pump sets off the nitrates alarm on the explosives detector :D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Talking of dressing and undressing for comfort and wearing or not wearing pyjamas, yesterday I went to bed in my lycra. Bibshorts and all. And it was only about two in the afternoon. Unfortunately (for you readers), this was not a kinky thing, I was just incredibly sleepy when I got home from a ride (Saturday having been full of domestic trauma which need not concern us here).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I have a bike problem, the N+1 is now getting excessive.

Help.

Found myself on gumtree looking at steel bikes.  Figuring out where to hide them.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vintage-ladies-bike/1235860190

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
It's quite interesting to watch the reaction on airport security's faces when the swab of your insulin pump sets off the nitrates alarm on the explosives detector :D

I had this in Aberdeen. Not an insulin pump but a laptop with a cracked screen. So they swabbed individual things and the machine went ping. It is a GCMS. It searches for four breakdown products. In my case it triggered two separate positives (different one each time) and only marginally over the threshold (I sneaked a view of the printout). I didn't feel like arguing the toss with them on the finer points of analytical chemistry so they called my eminent prof boss who confirmed I worked in a lab with all sorts of interesting chemicals around. Was teased about it for a while afterwards.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Is telling people what breed their dog is, a general thing, or is it just a Border Terrier thing?  I seem to get it all the time.
Yet again today as Megan and I walked up the High Street.  One of two horsists called out "Hey.  She's a Border Terrorist".  (I forgive them on grounds of humour.)

See also Dawes Super Galaxy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The BBC has updated the appearance of their News website again.

ElyDave

I know, crap isn't it?

Hmmmm, received a letter from the RAC today.

Quote from: RAC
We believe the complimentary breakdown cover you had when you purchased your BMW may expire soon.

I haven't had any car or breakdown cover for two years and I've never had a beemer  ??? ???

Random cock-up do we think or a possible sign of some flavour of identity theft? I don't fancy getting speeding tickets for a car I don't drive.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Never mind the speeding tickets, I wouldn't want to pay the finance deal on a car I didn't own!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Well yeah that too.

Clare

• Is in NZ
There appears to be a player of the electric cistern on stage at the moment.

Clare

• Is in NZ
His mate is playing the bagcow.

Do airplane jet engines freewheel?

I'm in Bordeaux for a work project (some parabolic flight testing) and every single time I've looked out the window I can see the turbines slowly spinning around.

I can't imagine they've actually been doing stuff continually from 8am to 6pm so I was wondering if the wind is pushing them round? It is fairly breezy today.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Do airplane jet engines freewheel?

I believe they can, at least when switched off.

ElyDave

what you may be seeing is the big fan at the front spinning - I'm not sure, could ask my dad - but if they are disengaged from the main power turbine I would have thought a breeze could spin them, assuming they are a high bypass turbofan which has all sorts of gearboxes and so on

It's an A300 if that makes things any clearer.

It was the front of the engines I could see so it could just be the first fan (compressor?) that was rolling round.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
On a turbofan engine, the first set of blades is the fan, which mostly bypasses the engine proper and literally blows the aeroplane along (think enclosed propeller).  The compressor that feeds the turbine engine is behind it, and only takes a fraction of the air from the fan.  Obviously the turbine produces thrust in its own right, as well as turning the fan.

ElyDave

Staying at the Twickenham Marriott for a couple of days.  Expensive enough as is, but got me wondering how much the pitch view suites cost on match day? 

I'm sure I won't be booking one any time soon.

The fan stage of a modern turbofan will be driven off the LP turbine, which usually only has one or two stages, so it should be able to catch enough of a breeze to turn. I'm not actually sure which stage is spun up on engine start - I assume it's the HP stage, as that's where the combustion chamber is - but I don't think there are any clutches etc on the fan.

am on the last of 3 days of work in Germany, started in Frankfurt then Berlin and now Munich and it's a lovely country.  Nice people, great transport, good beer, lots of bikes... I'd like to spend more time here.  I know everyone speaks English but how hard is German?