Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178252 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #900 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:04:28 pm »
Believe he plans to write a book I read previously

whosatthewheel

« Reply #901 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:16:44 pm »

He should write "a book"... although if he doesn't raise his profile significantly, I don't see Waterstones rushing to get copies on the shelves. Before publishing a book, he needs people interested in cycling to have heard of his name... some stunt that would give him headlines... something that can be sorted in a week or two of mad pedalling, rather than 3 years...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #902 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:29:24 pm »
He's had such bad luck with the accidents

...or has he had the same amount of accidents we all have, Pro Rata ?

He's basically cycled a lifetime's mileage* in 3 years

*The lifetime of someone who cycles a lot...in all weathers...in poor visibility...on busy roads.

I'd say that anyone attempting to emulate Steve should factor in a couple of accidents and injury-related interruptions.  It would be more surprising to me if there were no accidents.

Actually, when I think about it, he's cycled about 20 years of my driving mileage in 3 years!!!!!!!  Amazing.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #903 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:26:20 pm »

As you’ve already read it, what’s it like?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #904 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:30:52 pm »
Bloody long, with an unexpected and slightly unsatisfying ending?

I'd ante up for a copy.

« Reply #905 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:16:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #906 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:18:35 pm »

As you’ve already read it, what’s it like?  ;D

RED on a previous thread i shd ave said!!

« Reply #907 on: 26 February, 2018, 07:33:49 pm »

He should write "a book"... although if he doesn't raise his profile significantly, I don't see Waterstones rushing to get copies on the shelves. Before publishing a book, he needs people interested in cycling to have heard of his name... some stunt that would give him headlines... something that can be sorted in a week or two of mad pedalling, rather than 3 years...

What he's done must be the hardest effort. I know people say the hour record is hard, but surely it must be easier (at least mentally).
IMHO the hour record is the one to go for - it would even be possible (maybe not financially though) to have several attempts during a year. I'm surprised more top-class cyclists don't go for it. :o

whosatthewheel

« Reply #908 on: 26 February, 2018, 08:53:18 pm »
What he's done must be the hardest effort. I know people say the hour record is hard, but surely it must be easier (at least mentally).
IMHO the hour record is the one to go for - it would even be possible (maybe not financially though) to have several attempts during a year. I'm surprised more top-class cyclists don't go for it. :o

Read the book by Michael Hutchinson... it's a great insight into the hour record.

Why more people don't go for it?

1) It is a serious financial committment

2) There are probably only a handful of people in the world who have a realistic chance on a good day to challenge Wiggins time

3) The record stands at such a level that one rider needs to commit a significant portion of his racing season to do just that.

4) I hope you are not suggesting TG should go for the hour record...  realistically you need north of 450 Watt average for an hour to even begin to think about it... 250 won't cut it, I'm afraid  ::-)

« Reply #909 on: 26 February, 2018, 09:20:22 pm »
Why more people don't go for it?

because science

https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/blogs/news/dowsett-hour-record-take-2

Samuel D

« Reply #910 on: 26 February, 2018, 09:36:03 pm »
2) There are probably only a handful of people in the world who have a realistic chance on a good day to challenge Wiggins time

Wasn’t his time around an hour? I think Steve has proven by now that he can do that.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #911 on: 27 February, 2018, 06:27:34 am »

Wasn’t his time around an hour? I think Steve has proven by now that he can do that.

Yeah, alright... distance...

Oh yeah, Steve can definitively ride for an hour!

A number of people have tried amateur attempts, most of them never bothered to pay UCI to have officials on the ground. A few years ago an Italian guy even made the national news with his attempt. He managed to ride about 40 km in an hour, which is not bad for an amateur, but can probably be achieved by anyone with 250 Watt or so.
Turning 40 into 50+ needs nearly twice as much power...

« Reply #912 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:17:36 am »
If you look at TGs most impressive strength ...the ability to cycle hills over big distance with incredible efficiency.   I would say the round the coast of Britain record is the one to go for.   Either that or some big cross continent records that have climbing built in.

Maybe start off with some time trialing followed by a crack at the lejogle record to build speed and power back up first

whosatthewheel

« Reply #913 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:44:16 am »
If you look at TGs most impressive strength ...the ability to cycle hills over big distance with incredible efficiency.   I would say the round the coast of Britain record is the one to go for.   Either that or some big cross continent records that have climbing built in.

I agree... although the record is 22 days for 4800 miles, so going for 20 means 240 miles a day... he definitively needs serious speed if he wants to get some sleep!!
Sanders was arguably a quicker cyclist and a much younger one!

« Reply #914 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:27:04 am »
He managed to ride about 40 km in an hour, which is not bad for an amateur, but can probably be achieved by anyone with 250 Watt or so.

Yup. 230W is the usual figure quoted by TTers for someone looking to break an hour for a 25 mile time trial (assuming suitable bike and aerodynamic setup).

Discussed here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=106691.0
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #915 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:12:47 am »
IMHO the hour record is the one to go for

Marginalia:
Speed-related records like "the hour" (and transcontinentals) surely require a different type of rider than Steve. 

But I think Steve does hold another hour record yet:

Amanda Coker holds the miles record for cycling the most miles in one year.

Steve holds the hour record for cycling the most hours in one year.

Amanda rode around 4,264 hours for her HAMR (average of 11.7 hours/ day, slightly more than Kurt Searvogel's 11.5 hours/ day). Steve has exceeded 4,600 hours yet (12.8 hours/ day till February 27th). If Strava-data is correct he beat his own record of 4,317 hours in 2015 (11.8 hours/ day).

« Reply #916 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:23:40 am »
Wasn't there a post somewhere by Steve saying he wanted to join Idai in a LEJOGLE record attempt in the summer using a Morpheus tandem?

I'm eager to know what's the reason behind this choice of machine. And who's going to sit on the recumbent end?

A

« Reply #917 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:47:06 am »
Wasn't there a post somewhere by Steve saying he wanted to join Idai in a LEJOGLE record attempt in the summer using a Morpheus tandem?

I'm eager to know what's the reason behind this choice of machine. And who's going to sit on the recumbent end?

A

He was asking for volunteers, for either front or back seat.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #918 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:43:52 pm »
Interesting mention of Hutch's book, which was riveting, despite knowing the outcome.  I imagine that Steve's could be similar.

Of course, Steve will still have his (second) UMCA age classification record.  OK, so it's the third furthest age classified ride recorded, but it is separated.  So Amanda, Kurt and Steve will all hold records.  Alicia will still hold her age classified women's record.  And Kajsa holds a Guinness Record which is unlikely ever to be broken.
Getting there...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #919 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:14:31 pm »
Interesting mention of Hutch's book, which was riveting, despite knowing the outcome.  I imagine that Steve's could be similar.

Well, Hutch is an accomplished journalist with a witty sense of humour, a vast vocabulary and a repository of anecdotes, as well as a very good English, probably coming from his education and academic background.

Steve is an unknown quantity in this respect.

Samuel D

« Reply #920 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
I have enjoyed Steve’s writing when I’ve come across it. He has something to say and says it well.

What about the record for time to 100,000 miles? Does Steve have that? 200,000 km?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #921 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:25:24 pm »
I have enjoyed Steve’s writing when I’ve come across it. He has something to say and says it well.

What about the record for time to 100,000 miles? Does Steve have that? 200,000 km?

Does it exist? In theory, we all have our own world record in something, some are more meaningful than others, it's a question of whether there is an official record and somebody is willing to put a stamp on it.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #922 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:45:22 pm »

whosatthewheel

« Reply #923 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »
Trouble on the Triangle, by Steve Abraham

It could be improved, but it reads well enough... so he can write...  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #924 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:00:45 pm »

Does it exist? In theory, we all have our own world record in something, some are more meaningful than others, it's a question of whether there is an official record and somebody is willing to put a stamp on it.
The 1940s "T.G." broke a/the 100,000 mile record. Just a guess, but he may still hold that one? If Steve was attempting it now, he'd be behind schedule, so a long shot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles