Author Topic: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?  (Read 64240 times)

simonp

Re: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« Reply #75 on: 23 October, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »
Old etrex would also navigate a track. The problem is it doesn't reliably identify 'turns'.

« Reply #76 on: 23 October, 2012, 03:50:51 pm »
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but when you've got the option of routes as well as tracks on there, one thing that would be absolutely brilliant would be the ability to rename (and maybe sequentially number) the routepoints.   

Routecoverter does this rather well, even having an option to automagically detect and insert intermediate turnpoints that bikehike has failed to identify.   
With acknowledgements to Aralsopp's video <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wRfPO62zSCI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wRfPO62zSCI&rel=1</a> that introduced me to the Routeconverter freeware downloadable from http://www.routeconverter.de/home/en

Euan Uzami

« Reply #77 on: 31 October, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »
Added search and point reduction  :thumbsup:

Toady

« Reply #78 on: 01 November, 2012, 09:42:20 am »
A minor point ... I had a play and wrote out a "balloon" route, out the string, round the loop then back down the string.  On the return leg down the string, I can't click on the road as there's already a blue line there so I have trouble planning the return bit.

Apart from that, it's looking great and I await new features eagerly (esp. the route profile bit, and really esp. the "where's that hill" feature).

Euan Uzami

« Reply #79 on: 01 November, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »
A minor point ... I had a play and wrote out a "balloon" route, out the string, round the loop then back down the string.  On the return leg down the string, I can't click on the road as there's already a blue line there so I have trouble planning the return bit.

Apart from that, it's looking great and I await new features eagerly (esp. the route profile bit, and really esp. the "where's that hill" feature).

yep, i've noticed that. will be one of the next things to be fixed.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #80 on: 01 November, 2012, 07:07:27 pm »

yep, i've noticed that. will be one of the next things to be fixed.

fixed  :thumbsup:

Toady

« Reply #81 on: 01 November, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »

Toady

« Reply #82 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »
Interesting ... bike mode doesn't work in some coutries.  I noticed that it didn't work in France, so I tried some other countries.  That's a No in Belgium and Germany, a Yes in Finland, Denmark & Norway.  I went to Flensburg on the Germany/Denmark border and tried making routes that cross the border.  As soon as you go into Germany bike mode is verboten.

I don't suppose you have any control over that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Anything else you want me to break? ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #83 on: 01 November, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »
Bike mode doesn't work in some (dare I say it most) countries, you're right.
It should degrade gracefully, however - i.e. give you an informative error, rather than just not drawing the track - will be sunday now though.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #84 on: 02 November, 2012, 07:49:53 am »
open route service gives reasonably good routes on the continent.
Chief cat entertainer.

Toady

« Reply #85 on: 03 November, 2012, 09:19:26 am »
THe file save options aren't working ... are they not implemented yet?

I'm sure they worked before as I looked at the content of the GPX file.  If I right click then choose "save just this" on one of the named boxes (segments?) then nothing happens; if I right click the map then choose "save all" I get a dialog box with a filename but I don't get an OS dialog box to name the location where to save it.

Or is there a security setting I need to do in my browser or something like that?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #86 on: 04 November, 2012, 11:39:04 am »
THe file save options aren't working ... are they not implemented yet?

I'm sure they worked before as I looked at the content of the GPX file.  If I right click then choose "save just this" on one of the named boxes (segments?) then nothing happens; if I right click the map then choose "save all" I get a dialog box with a filename but I don't get an OS dialog box to name the location where to save it.

Or is there a security setting I need to do in my browser or something like that?

maybe - I'll have a look at it.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #87 on: 04 November, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
Toady,
not a problem your end, I was getting it too.

Publish of the fix just going through now.

Toady

« Reply #88 on: 04 November, 2012, 05:11:40 pm »
I used to be a test manager, can you guess? ;)

« Reply #89 on: 23 November, 2012, 06:33:50 pm »
Is there a (new) problem with Loading previously saved tracks?
It was working for me before, but now clicking on Load doesn't bring up a dialog box.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #90 on: 24 November, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
Is there a (new) problem with Loading previously saved tracks?
It was working for me before, but now clicking on Load doesn't bring up a dialog box.

Pete,
I did notice a problem with that on firefox but seemed ok on chrome and IE, and I suspect it was something to do with hiding the file load control, under a menu item - in order to look nice - but working is more important,  so I've taken it out and put it at the top left(ish) - just to the right of the map/satellite control.

I'm looking to put a front page on and also archive versions as I publish them, at least while it's in development which it will be for the foreseeable, so if I muck something up you can still use an old version.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #91 on: 24 November, 2012, 05:54:52 pm »
I've also done rerouting.
When you've stopped drawing a track, right click on any segment (use split and/or join to get the segment the right length, you can see what segment is what as it glows blue when hovering over it), and choose 'reroute', and then move the mouse.

Click the map when happy then choose accept or cancel. It will use the currently selected routing mode, so I've made the routing mode control (bottom right) permanently visible. If you reroute using as crow flies routing mode, then it will just 'unroute' a segment, i.e. make it a straight line.

I did have to do a bit of refactoring to store the routes in encoded format rather than as json, which is why I might have messed a few things up with it.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #92 on: 24 November, 2012, 05:57:12 pm »
Point reduction will also have broken. I'll fix it now.

Phil W

« Reply #93 on: 24 November, 2012, 09:36:18 pm »
I'd like to be able to adds controls / waypoints to the route. Gpx can hold waypoints as well as tracks etc. then my gps could highlight the waypoints / controls on the map

Euan Uzami

« Reply #94 on: 25 November, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »
I'd like to be able to adds controls / waypoints to the route. Gpx can hold waypoints as well as tracks etc. then my gps could highlight the waypoints / controls on the map

ok, I'll do that soon.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #95 on: 26 December, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »
published quite a lot of updates to my site today, can now add/edit routes and waypoints as well as tracks.

You can also automatically 'create route' from a track.

(link in sig)

« Reply #96 on: 27 December, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »
published quite a lot of updates to my site today, can now add/edit routes and waypoints as well as tracks.

You can also automatically 'create route' from a track.

(link in sig)

Any limit to the size of track that you can create a route from ?
I only ask because I started ceating a track for a 200km before these updates came into effect and although I just reduced it to 500 points it won't convert into a route in the same way as a little "fresh" track (of 17km) that I just created for working out how to use the new features.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #97 on: 27 December, 2012, 12:54:16 pm »
Sorry - it doesn't convert it into a route, it adds a new route based on it.

It will work better for a 200 if you split it up into segments first.
The way it works is to take each segment, reduce it (but only internally, in its own memory - it leaves the original track there) to 10 points, then asks google for a route through those 10 points.
The reason it has to reduce each segment to 10 is because 8 is the limit for number of intermediate waypoints, so that, plus start and end, is 10. But it does that for each segment of the route, not the whole route itself, so obviously the more segments you have the more fine grained and potentially accurate it is.
Reducing it to 500 first should have no (or insignificant) effect because it reduces each segment to 10 internally anyway.

It's by no means perfect - you will almost certainly have to fiddle around with it a bit, like add, remove and move the points on the route (but you should be able to do that now) however it should at least have a stab at pointing out junctions.

edit: it's not a bad idea to get into the hang of splitting into segments anyway - as a way of grouping your tracks into logical blocks. Certainly split it at least at controls, but further, any section that could potentially be re-routed, i.e. any section for which there's a potential choice of different ways to go, is better being its own segment.

« Reply #98 on: 28 December, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »
It's by no means perfect - you will almost certainly have to fiddle around with it a bit, like add, remove and move the points on the route (but you should be able to do that now) however it should at least have a stab at pointing out junctions.

I've had a good play around with it this morning.  Not sure I've discovered all the features yet, but I am most impressed so far.   This is now at a point where it definitely becomes the "weapon of choice" for the combined breadcrumb track and off-road "route" approach favoured by many AUKs with older Etrexes.
Do you plan to add in the options of OSM Cycle and OS Landranger map display(like on bikehike)?   That would make it well nigh perfect in my book. 

Toady

« Reply #99 on: 28 December, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
Looking great.  Need to play with it a bit more ...