Author Topic: Alternate day fasting  (Read 38515 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Alternate day fasting
« Reply #200 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:41:18 am »
Ohhh, that's interesting Chris.  I'll definitely try that the next time I'm fasting and getting chilly (I do't tend to get dizzy, unless I'm really low on energy).
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #201 on: 07 February, 2013, 12:11:18 pm »
Something I've learned on the keto diet. When you are in ketosis (fasting or low-carb, don't think it makes any difference) not only do your kidneys dump water associated with glycogen, they stop retaining water associated with sodium. This causes a lot of sodium to be flushed out, and you can very easily get into problems with levels of electrolytes.

If you are feeling cold or "slow", have headaches or postural hypotension, then they are clues. Keto fans recommend a cup or two of bouillon or broth to bolster your sodium levels, though you need to be careful with this if you are already on meds for blood pressure control.

That's useful information, thanks Chris. Early days yet so not sure whether any of these maladies will appear. Maybe I'll moderate my caffeine intake to stop this effect from accelerating (though it's handy as an appetite suppressant).
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #202 on: 08 February, 2013, 08:18:02 am »
Weight stable at the new lower level this morning. An extra inch off my waist too.
Next fasting day is Saturday so I'll keep monitoring and report back at a later date.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #203 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »
On another fasting day today. I'm sipping the occasional cup of Bovril instead of constant black coffee: high in sodium, protein, and only 20 calories or so.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #204 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:57:12 am »
Weekly weigh in this morning. 5lbs lighter and 1 inch off the gut.
One of the main advantages is the awareness of how much to eat on non fast days.
If you haven't had a good ride or other substantial excercise, watch the quantities! :thumbsup:

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #205 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:53:13 pm »
Another 1.3kg down this morning, waistline stable. Last fast was Saturday, next fasting day tomorrow.
Impressive results so far.

As others have noted, I think you tend to get more careful about what you eat on non-fasting days too. I've cut out a lot of sweets and biscuits, which may or may not last...  ;D
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #206 on: 15 February, 2013, 07:20:52 pm »
Drat! I had to can the fasting day today, as I've a nasty cold. Didn't feel able to fight the snuffles, coughs and sweats with only 600 calories...
Embrace your inner Fred.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #207 on: 23 September, 2013, 08:37:12 am »
You can lose all the water tied to your glycogen on a fast day without getting dehydrated. That's around 1.5kg and there's about 400g glycogen...

Could that partially explain why my weight has leapt up on the non-fast days?

I started the 5:2 last week fasting Monday and Thursday and my weight this morning is up nearly 2kg from Friday morning.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #208 on: 23 September, 2013, 03:02:26 pm »
You can lose all the water tied to your glycogen on a fast day without getting dehydrated. That's around 1.5kg and there's about 400g glycogen...
Could that partially explain why my weight has leapt up on the non-fast days?

'Fraid so. What matters is your weight when you're at the same phase of your feeding/fasting cycle.

Maybe weigh yourself at the end of a fast and ignore non-fast measurements.

« Reply #209 on: 02 January, 2014, 09:40:38 am »
Back on it. Yesterday was the first of the initial 2 fast days, and dropped 2kg. Looking at the press ADF/5:2 seem to be back in vogue, especially for new year's resolutions and getting rid of the xmas excess.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #210 on: 02 January, 2014, 10:35:06 am »
I've been struggling to find socially convenient days to fast the last week or two, with the result that I'm actually, properly missing the way I feel during a fast.  Of course I like my grub, but taking a day out a couple of times a week makes me feel so good that I don't think I can go back to regular eating patterns.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #211 on: 02 January, 2014, 10:35:33 am »
Aye it's time for me to get back on the programme too after the festive excess. Have to attack the extra 3kg I appear to have put on over the past fortnight...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #212 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:58:41 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25549805

Well it looks like 55:5 maybe the new 5:2

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #213 on: 03 January, 2014, 05:34:06 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25549805

Well it looks like 55:5 maybe the new 5:2

Do you mean 25:5? Anyway, yes interesting article.
Embrace your inner Fred.