Author Topic: Accident hotspots in Staffordshire  (Read 824 times)

essexian

Accident hotspots in Staffordshire
« on: 15 August, 2012, 10:39:36 am »
Hi All

Please see below an email posted first on the Stafford RC website.

"Dear Cycler

As you may or may not be aware the Government has given a pledge to invest up to £15m in a bid to improve cycle accident hotspots.  Your details have been forwarded to me as a first point of contact to establish a list of possible sites that could be submitted for consideration under this scheme.  I have attached guidance notes from the Dft for your perusal.

Our Casualty Investigation Team has looked throughout the County for cluster sites, which is one of the criteria for assessment under the scheme.  This has highlighted two sites, both in Burton on Trent.  In general Staffordshire has a relatively low accident rate concerning cycle incidents and therefore I seek your help to establish a list of sites that meet other criteria such as locations that cyclists avoid or experience severe severance.

Initially SCC must submit an _expression_ of interest detailing the following information by 31st August 2012:-

location of proposed scheme
brief de_script_ion of the safety issues to be addressed
brief de_script_ion of what interventions are proposed
initial estimate of total scheme cost

I would be grateful if you could have a think about sites that you feel are a danger to cyclists and particular sites that are avoided because of this danger.  In addition any initial solutions would be appreciated as this will allow my team to provide a budget estimate.  Following submission and approval of initial sites, I will be looking to work with interested parties to establish detailed design by the submission date of the 30th November 2012.

If you need any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Richard Harris
Community Infrastructure Manager
Staffordshire County Council
Wedgwood Building
Block A
Tipping Street
Stafford ST16 2DH

Tel: 0300 111 8000
Fax: 01902 791527

richard.harris@staffordshire.gov.uk
"

I have emailed regarding the narrow bridge at the junction of Station Road and the Newport Road in Stafford.

Sorry if this is a bit Staffordshirecentric.