Author Topic: Peter Gabriel New Blood Tour  (Read 1496 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Peter Gabriel New Blood Tour
« on: 28 March, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »
Wnet to see him at the O2 last night.
Wish I'd stayed at home.  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Re: Peter Gabriel New Blood Tour
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2010, 03:33:36 pm »
His latest album "Scratch My Back" is the most tedious, pretentious nonsense I've heard in a long time.
The sound of one pannier flapping

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2010, 03:44:30 pm »
His latest album "Scratch My Back" is the most tedious, pretentious nonsense I've heard in a long time.
And the concert was the same! He totally murdered Paul Simon's Boy in the Bubble by slowing it too the pace of a funeral march.  :(

Pretentious cack!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »

Yes, I've given that one a miss having tried really hard to like it on WE7. All the S family have been ardent Gabriel fans for years, but he seems to have gone off down a musical path we don't want to follow. Shame.

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2010, 04:12:29 pm »
I have to say I like the man.  He was manager of my first band in the days just after leaving Genesis, and I still have friends working at Real World.  He's a thoroughly decent bloke with some great past achievements, but this album is a stinker.  I felt so strongly that I actually posted a review on Amazon (something I've never felt the need to do before).  It reads:

"Imagine the scenario - you are approaching your 60's with your reputation assured but creativity waning. How do you pass the time? How about an album of covers? But that would be too obvious, so let's have a angle - a reciprocal deal with other artists. Bingo!

This album highlights all that is bad about Gabriel. It's lazy and it's showbiz. The tracks meld into each other - hardly surprising as they all receive almost exactly the same treatment. Start with tinkly piano or sparse strings and low voice and then get louder, usually with the voice going up an octave on verse 3.

The orchestral arrangements are absolutely bog standard - the kind of stuff that you pay someone to do by the minute. Together with Gabriel's synthetic-soul voice, this treatment manages to remove every last ounce of emotion from the songs. It is a pastiche of a format, sounding emotive but containing nothing.

Some are truly diabolical - for example Heroes, where the altered chordal progression purges the song of all it's power. Others are less disastrous, but as a whole, this is dreary, pretentious and lazy."
The sound of one pannier flapping

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2010, 06:37:28 pm »
His last decent record was "So", wasn't it?  And Kate Bush carried him there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2010, 06:41:51 pm »
His last decent record was "So", wasn't it?  And Kate Bush carried him there.

That's a little harsh I think. "Up" has it's moments (Gotta love "The Barry Williams Show") and I really liked "Passion".

Was never convinced about "Ovo"... It kind of went downhill around then I think...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2010, 07:50:23 pm »

I was babysitting for friends last week and they had a copy which I put on (on of the perks is raiding the host's cd collection :D) and was very disappointed as the idea had so much some promise. The reciprocal album "And I'll Scratch Yours" (I think  :-\) could be very good  or equally disappointing.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2010, 08:12:41 pm »
To my ears, Peter Gabriel has been sadly murdering his own songs for quite some time.  Such a pity as he has written some fantastic music.

This comes from long enough ago, and unfortunately it is still relevant.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EAncWDTks9E&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EAncWDTks9E&rel=1</a>
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'ĂȘtre un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2010, 09:22:13 pm »
I was a huge fan of his post-Genesis work and was fortunate enough to see him several times in the 70s and early 80s. The shows promoting his fourth album were particularly good.   I tried to keep the faith through So and Secret World, each of which had a couple of memorable tracks,  but Up was a real disappointment and I left the concert promoting it about half way through because I was bored.  I think he got into the habit of relying on drum machines and computer keyboards and seems to have forgotten that a song still needs a melody.  I live about 10 minutes from the O2 but I just couldn't be bothered getting tickets - sounds like it was the right decision.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?