Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718198 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Blue Boar, Maldon, Tomorrow
« Reply #525 on: 17 November, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »
So... the standard question. Does anyone have a route from Witham to the Blue Boar for me to look at (I have plotted a Blue Boar to Witham route).

This is not too far off the route we were plotting - it's mostly on the old railway line, with a couple of sections of road interspersed where the line no longer connects up, and a very little bit of bridleway near the start to get from the B1018 to the railway line.  Apart from Market Hill (the short steep one on the way into Maldon),  it is fairly flat.

Eventually, Sustrans/Braintree District Council/Maldon District Council/Essex County Council/persons unknown intend to make this a route surfaced very like the Flitch Way.  It's not too bad at present, but isn't quite as smooth as the FW yet.  Think of it as trailblazing for future generations of MEMWNSers :)

I will ride it tomorrow daytime though, to check if the recent weather has affected the navigability, and have a think also about any width challenges.  (We may have to man/woman-handle the Trice round a gate at the 4.2 mile point, where we get back onto Witham road).

What sort of time will people be leaving Witham? Is anyone else planning to do what I am doing?

I hadn't thought much about setting off time.  I'm happy to do either the usual 6:30, or go for a later kick-off (given the shortness of the outbound leg -- although it'll be a bit slower than the Flitch Way was).  OD is probably the only other person planning to come from/through Witham, unless anyone else (Tokamak?) signs up for the mild off-road silliness in the mean time.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #526 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:17:56 pm »
Leaving at 6:30! What time do you think you'll be at the pub?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #527 on: 17 November, 2009, 09:03:44 pm »
Probably depends on whether I'm with them, moaning about the road surface and pedalling rather slowly  :P
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #528 on: 17 November, 2009, 11:14:59 pm »
Probably depends on whether I'm with them, moaning about the road surface and pedalling rather slowly  :P

LOL -- Arrival at bottom of Market Hill ~7:15 arrival @ Blue Boar ~8:00 ;)

Actually, if anyone would prefer, i'm quite partial to a just post 7-ish start from Witham (I will be able to help out at the acorns' bedtimes in that case).

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #529 on: 18 November, 2009, 07:52:05 am »
Brilliant dog picture AH.  Bring him/her along one day to meet Shadow!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #530 on: 18 November, 2009, 07:56:51 am »
This is not too far off the route we were plotting - it's mostly on the old railway line, with a couple of sections of road interspersed where the line no longer connects up, and a very little bit of bridleway near the start to get from the B1018 to the railway line.  Apart from Market Hill (the short steep one on the way into Maldon),  it is fairly flat.
I may be stupid but I've never managed to find a 'download to GPS' button on Bikely. There's a download as GPX which I can then import into Bikehike and stick on my Garmin, but not directly from Bikely. Anyone know the secret?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #531 on: 18 November, 2009, 07:58:37 am »
Anyone know the secret?
The share tab/button at the top and download .GPX.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #532 on: 18 November, 2009, 08:05:57 am »
Anyone know the secret?
The share tab/button at the top and download .GPX.
That only offers to download it to my computer, not directly onto my Garmin (I don't have Babelfish or whatever, and the G205 doesn't act like a hard disk for the computer)

« Reply #533 on: 18 November, 2009, 08:08:53 am »
That only offers to download it to my computer, not directly onto my Garmin (I don't have Babelfish or whatever, and the G205 doesn't act like a hard disk for the computer)
IIRC the 205 doesn't do GPX either.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #534 on: 18 November, 2009, 08:12:35 am »
IIRC the 205 doesn't do GPX either.
Possibly not, I think I use TCX with Bikehike.

Anyway, that sort-of answers my question, I shall have to stick the route into Bikehike again.

With a 7pm start from Oaky's tonight I may leave the Blue Boar at 6pm. If I come. I'm still not 100% sure about that but would like to get out and see some people, having been cabin-fevery this weekend. Mind you, when I think of the people I shall be seeing... who dress like traffic cones!!!! Plus I'm not overkeen on the idea of an off-road journey, tbh. Uncomfortable, mucky (I have to cycle around Ipswich early the next morning so no time for bike washing and am trying to make an impression at two schools I'm persuading to employ us for cycle training), dark, potholey, and perhaps even with the Walk The Plank Of Doom-type obstacles...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #535 on: 18 November, 2009, 10:39:09 am »
OK, sorry for all the waffling, I've made a decision not to come tonight. I've just been out for a fun but windy ride around the local roads and I'm still feeling a bit under par. With the early start tomorrow for my Ipswich meetings, and the fact that James has nicked my car and I'm not sure if I can fit the Trice in the A4, I'm going to give it a miss. I shall miss you all dearly, of course. Have a brill time and both Uncle James and I will see you next week.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #536 on: 18 November, 2009, 10:42:39 am »
OK, sorry for all the waffling, I've made a decision not to come tonight. I've just been out for a fun but windy ride around the local roads and I'm still feeling a bit under par. With the early start tomorrow for my Ipswich meetings, and the fact that James has nicked my car and I'm not sure if I can fit the Trice in the A4, I'm going to give it a miss. I shall miss you all dearly, of course. Have a brill time and both Uncle James and I will see you next week.

:'(

I'm not around next week cos I will be riding with the Pompey crew.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #537 on: 18 November, 2009, 10:44:13 am »

You'll have to wait even longer for your Cyclists Bags then :(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #538 on: 18 November, 2009, 10:53:50 am »

Oh noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seriously compromises the launch of The Magic Bag Lite TM.  I am anticipating a delivery from Nelson in Lancashire any day now.  What am I to do???

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #539 on: 18 November, 2009, 11:03:08 am »

This seriously compromises the launch of The Magic Bag Lite TM.  I am anticipating a delivery from Nelson in Lancashire any day now.  What am I to do???
Cycle over to Camulodunum to pick a couple up? ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #540 on: 18 November, 2009, 11:05:00 am »

Cycle over to Camulodunum to pick a couple up? ;)

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I pay the postage and you bung them in an envelope???

This is mega important and I'm very excited about it  ;D  ;D  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #541 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:37:50 pm »

Well it's a mega important thing so I'm not surprised. Correct bicycle luggage is a VERY important thing. It took me 3 goes before I found perfection in panniers (my nice German Vaude ones).

I shall pop them in the post to ye, then, when I get a chance to buy them (haven't been to The Range yet; often go on Sunday on the way home from Being Godly).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #542 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:39:26 pm »

Well it's a mega important thing so I'm not surprised. Correct bicycle luggage is a VERY important thing. It took me 3 goes before I found perfection in panniers (my nice German Vaude ones).

I shall pop them in the post to ye, then, when I get a chance to buy them (haven't been to The Range yet; often go on Sunday on the way home from Being Godly).

:-* 

You'll be getting a PM.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #543 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:46:21 pm »

I shall pop them in the post to ye, then, when I get a chance to buy them (haven't been to The Range yet; often go on Sunday on the way home from Being Godly  O:-)).

You'll be getting a PM.
Is that a euphemism to go with the  :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #544 on: 18 November, 2009, 01:52:07 pm »

I shall pop them in the post to ye, then, when I get a chance to buy them (haven't been to The Range yet; often go on Sunday on the way home from Being Godly  O:-)).

You'll be getting a PM.
Is that a euphemism to go with the  :-*

The God fearing ones are always the filthiest  ;D

« Reply #545 on: 18 November, 2009, 02:39:42 pm »
Weather isn't looking too bad, windy but dry, so I reckon I'll be there at 2000.  :thumbsup:
I won't PM anybody if I change my mind as it's taken on shady undertones. 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #546 on: 18 November, 2009, 04:15:40 pm »
OK - I have checked the route and it is passable-ish, if you don't mind a bit of muddiness.  There's one "lake" that I had to find an alternative route round.

I cleared quite a few branches from the route, before it occurred to me that standing underneath trees where branches had fallen, in what the Met office had billed as 43mph gusts probably wasn't optimally safe  ::-)  I was wearing a magic hat though so I was obviously safe.

It's possible that chief may come along to mine to partake in the rail trail.  7:00 ish seems like a good setting off time in that case.

EDIT:  a few snaps of the recce -- I'll ad some explanatory captions now...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #547 on: 18 November, 2009, 04:37:26 pm »
Mate, if you have that much time to take that many pictures of that much mud you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo need a job!

Given the wind is strong enough to blow dogs off chains I shall be deep reefing my main and flying my storm jib (AH will know what I mean).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #548 on: 18 November, 2009, 04:45:05 pm »
Brilliant pictures Oaky. Despite the temptation of lots of off-road with lakes and narrow gaps through which I need to squeeze my Trice, I think my decision to have an evening in is a good one. Particularly as Uncle James has returned from a hard day's work with no voice whatsoever so I can spend all evening talking at him, which will be fun.

I look forward to a repeat visit to the Blue Boar, though, as it looks rather nice! In summer that railway route might almost be Trice-friendly.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #549 on: 18 November, 2009, 04:45:21 pm »
Mate, if you have that much time to take that many pictures of that much mud you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo need a job!

Given the wind is strong enough to blow dogs off chains I shall be deep reefing my main and flying my storm jib (AH will know what I mean).

Rollocks!

Shall I add mud-photography to my CV?