Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1736700 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #900 on: 14 April, 2010, 07:30:35 pm »
That reminds me I've got to get a different colour varnish!  :facepalm:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #901 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:31:50 am »
Just got back in (01:15).  about 39 miles, with OD for all, and chief and Tomsk for most of it.

Lovely night.

1 faerie visitation, but unfortunately for the museums of the world I dropped the flint that went straight through the central protection band of my Marathon plus.

I think it was the one on the left.

A game of two halves1 -- dinner and Doom Bar in the Leather Bottle, Blackmore, followed by a cheeky pint before closing (err....) in the Leather Bottle, Pleshey.

Two Leather Bottles.  That could be almost a message from the future about Jordan's 60th birthday photo shoot.  ;)

1. I should point out that I didn't drink any halves  :smug:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #902 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:05:07 am »
Last night - what was that all about?

First up, how did my 35 mile route turn into 41 miles (average 13.7mph)?  I got home at just gone 1am and one’s good lady was not impressed.  Mind you, I’m quite pleased at the state of my legs this morning.

How much beer did we drink?  The poor waitress at the first Leather Bottle lost count and had to ask us.  Even Tomsk, normally the sensible steady one, was knocking it back.  And Tomsk old mate, real ale is not a bona fide energy drink.

When we arrived at the second Leather Bottle it really got silly.  Why was chief handing out tissues?  I dread to think what he was proposing.  We also learnt that chief has to take a picture of Oaky drinking a pint in every pub they visit.  And he catalogues them.  That’s very sweet, but also a bit worrying don’t you think?

A local informed us that 23 vicars had been in earlier, there is some sort retreat up the road.  This prompted Oaky to fashion a makeshift dog collar using one of chief’s tissues.  There is a picture that will no doubt appear.  When it does all will see that Hummers has a rival when it comes to impersonating dodgy clergy.  Choirboys of England fear not, they’re only pretending.

Chief got up to buy yet another round, whilst he was at the bar I checked the time.  11:30!  Don’t they have licensing laws in Pleshey?  As we were preparing to leave at midnight I asked the landlord about his opening hours “Don’t worry” says our genial host “I’ll stay open while ever you’re drinking”  Overhearing this Oaky takes his jacket off and sits down again!

Just remember chaps, I had a Quaker upbringing and led a quiet, sheltered life thus far.  Take pity on me please.

PS - don't forget the next Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub on the 23rd.  The Green Dragon, Youngs End.

« Reply #903 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:57:33 am »
What fun! Sounds like a great night!

Little bit of bobb trivia - did you know The Leather Bottle in Blackmore is run by Kat Slater's mum and dad? (well obviously the girl who played her rather than actually Kat Slater!)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #904 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:49:51 am »
Last night - what was that all about?

First up, how did my 35 mile route turn into 41 miles (average 13.7mph)?

Trajectory?

(click to show/hide)

How much beer did we drink?  

I'm probably not the best person to ask that of, but I estimate ~7 or so.  (3 in the Leather Bottle, then 4 in the Leather Bottle).

Extrapolating that up, if 7 gets me round 40 miles, then I'll need 21 for the Audax on Sunday.  Pubs won't even be open for the first 4 hours either.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #905 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:36:28 pm »
Why was chief handing out tissues?

Note that the tissues were handed round immediately after the mention of this thread: Cross training: Onanibics

« Reply #906 on: 15 April, 2010, 10:12:37 pm »
*shufflesfeet*

Erm, well, a quiet night out, not much to say really.  Probably easier if I sum it up with a couple of pics

(click to show/hide)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #907 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:48:21 am »
I have just shown these pictures to My Good Lady.  Cue the resigned smile, rolling of eyes before saying "And how old are you lot?"   ;D

I thought the evening was a huge success.  Amongst all the silliness I did 41 miles at a reasonable lick, I'm well pleased with that, not a bad distance for an evening ride.  Tomsk would have done even more and chief a bit less.

Oh and by the way, I note that chief has kept quiet about yet another guilty secret.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #908 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:57:26 am »
Not NHS Shimano jobs but sexy Lake jobbies  :thumbsup:
Ooh, which ones? Delthebike and I have matching Lake ones, the results of which can be seen here (beware the tan lines):

THESE.  Not arrived yet.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #909 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:49:54 pm »
This week's official venue is The Hurdlemaker's Arms at Woodham Mortimer.

They currently have Abbot Ale, Mighty Oak IPA, something blonde from Dark Star, and a very nice "Hot XXX Buns" from Brentwood, amongst their wares.

I won't be there on account of going to Ipswich to see Dara O'Briain.

Tomsk and I did, however, recce a route to the Hurdlemakers on Sunday.  It fits perfectly with OD's "more riding, less beer" maxim for the MEMWNS.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #910 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:14:34 pm »
    I'm ok for Wednesday night and can confirm that riding ***km does give one a bit of a thirst. The 'Hot XXX Buns' is an excellent brew: a previous beer pump label [discretely fixed to the pub ceiling along with zillions of beermats] is possibly nsfw!
    Looking ahead to my 'Hosted ride' on 5th May - I think we should end up at the 'Q.Vic/Jalsa Ghar' for CURRY here in Dunmow, so I will need a rough idea of numbers to book a table. Any preferred start location? Maybe Chelmsford or Braintree? Or we could meet up somewhere en-route as per the Flitch way ride last year. Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #911 on: 19 April, 2010, 10:31:53 pm »
I shall be in Leeds, as I am now.

But, I have just completed 27.35 hilly miles with a certain Mr Nesbitt.  My legs coped well but at one point I regretted not packing my spare pair of lungs in The Magic Bag Lite TM.

Next week I shall be doing me Ride Leader's First Aid course in Southend.  As Essex County Council has thus far failed to provide me with another hi-vis vest, perhaps once I have completed the course they will provide me with a nurse's outfit.  Here's hoping.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #912 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »
    Looking ahead to my 'Hosted ride' on 5th May - I think we should end up at the 'Q.Vic/Jalsa Ghar' for CURRY here in Dunmow, so I will need a rough idea of numbers to book a table.

:thumbsup:  I shall make sure the date is in my diary.

Any preferred start location? Maybe Chelmsford or Braintree? Or we could meet up somewhere en-route as per the Flitch way ride last year. Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm happy with any of the above.  I can start earlier at chelmsford than any of the others, but I don't have any objection to Braintree/Rayne/S&C or anywhere really.

« Reply #913 on: 20 April, 2010, 03:34:53 pm »
First up, how did my 35 mile route turn into 41 miles (average 13.7mph)?  I got home at just gone 1am and one’s good lady was not impressed.  Mind you, I’m quite pleased at the state of my legs this morning.

Hhhhhmmmmm

But, I have just completed 27.35 hilly miles with a certain Mr Nesbitt.  My legs coped well but at one point I regretted not packing my spare pair of lungs in The Magic Bag Lite TM.

and I did 25 hilly miles last night and some weight lifting today

Mr Dad, do I detect a common theme here?  Have you set your bicycyle abacus up properly?

« Reply #914 on: 20 April, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »
Oh and by the way, I note that chief has kept quiet about yet another guilty secret.

I was young, I needed the money, you're not going to make me confess to the part time tissue-vicar are you  :o

I'm not going to be able to make it out tomorrow evening  :(

Regarding the Jalsa I'll defo be along.  As I need to head home first I'd probably cycle to meet people on-route at Flitch way if Braintree is the starting point.  Hmmmmm Jalsa CURRY  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #915 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:20:50 am »
    Tonight's orf then? Shame, I was looking forward to North Hill again!
    I sense a 'Bisto Kid' effect luring curry lovers to Dunmow in two weeks time :thumbsup:! How about Rayne station as a start for my ride [7pm?]; I'll do a loop north, through Saling/Bardfield rather than the direct route along the Flitch way.ETA Jalsa Ghar 8:30.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #916 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:28:26 am »
Due to yet more changes of plan I'm back in Essex but fear that bogging off tonight might not go down too well because ...

I have just bumped The Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub thread.  It's this Friday you know!

As it's St George's Day on Friday the Green Dragon at Youngs End was chosen but I don't mind going somewhere else; a bike ride and a pub is all I'm after.

« Reply #917 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:18:35 pm »
No show for me this Wednesday as duty calls in Londinium  O:-)

It also gives me time to sort the Dawes out   :-X

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #918 on: 27 April, 2010, 10:53:20 am »
No show for me this Wednesday as duty calls in Londinium  O:-)

It also gives me time to sort the Dawes out   :-X

I'm going to be AWOL this wednesday too (I'm on childminding duties while mrs_o goes out).

Shame, as it's this one:-

28 Apr 2010   Wheatsheaf   Writtle

which I missed out on last time around too!

« Reply #919 on: 28 April, 2010, 01:30:46 am »
I could do The Wheatsheaf in Writtle as it's in walking distance. Let me know if any of you lot are going to turn up!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #920 on: 30 April, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »
So Wednesday is a ride to Dunmow and the Jalsa Ghar curry house, courtesy of Tomsk.

My plan is to drive to the Jalsa Ghar and park there, then cycle to wherever people want to start a ride, and cycle back to Dunmow with y'all. Where are people starting from?

I think James might also come along, depending on how busy he is with work.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #921 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:55:28 pm »
    Plan 'A' is to meet at Rayne Station at 19:00. Time can be adjusted to suit. I'll book a table for 20:30; flexible too of course, at this stage.
    For AH and any others leaving fron Dunmow: I'll meet you at the Q Vic shortly after 18:00 for a slightly indirect ride to Rayne. I'll be avoiding the B1256 [old A120]/Stane St] as it can be busy on the Little Dunmow bit at that time, going via Bran End /Stebbing to pick up the 1256 at Blake End, where/when it should be quieter for the short stretch to Rayne. Probably.
    So far we have: Tomsk
                              Auntie Helen
                              Oaky
                              Chief
                              Oscar's Dad
    Any more?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #922 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:13:11 pm »
James as a possible, too.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #923 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:55:55 pm »
I wouldn't be able to make it for 7:00, but might be able to make 7:15/7:20 ish if I can persuade work to let me leave early (5:30)...  I need to check some train times...  I did wonder if Braintree station might afford me some other options, but it looks like the earliest I could get there would be 7:16.

I'm currently working out whether setting off from Chelmsford or Witham is better (I can start nearly 15 mins earlier from CHM, but it's a bit further to Rayne form there than WTM).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #924 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »
I'm a maybe. Got to work out logistics.