Author Topic: The Plastic Assembly Kit Thread  (Read 57832 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
The Plastic Assembly Kit Thread
« on: 27 January, 2016, 07:53:55 pm »
Owing to public demand, here is a thread for sharing of builds of Plastic Assembly Kits.

Here are some of mine:

Revell 1:25 VW T3 Samba Bus

Revell 1:25 E-Type Jaguar

Polar Lights 1:12 Robby, The Robot with Altaira  (from The Forbidden Planet Movie)

Airfix Shaun the Sheep with Tractor, Bitzer and Billy:

Revell 1:144 Virgin Galactic Space Ship Two and White Knight Two:

Moebious Monster Scenes - Creepy Insect:

Revell 1:12 Ford Shelby GT500:

And one I'm currently working on, A 1:25 scale, 1964 Ford Futura Convertible:

:)

Any other yacfers into model making? 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Plastic Assembly Kit Thread
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:57:49 pm »
Shaun the Sheep is my favourite.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »

I have about 100 1/72 unbuilt kits in my loft which I shall make in my retirement, mainly WW1 and WW2 aircraft and armour, plus some railway stuff. 
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:44:33 pm »
Good call BrianI.
Let's see the rest  :thumbsup:

I used to do it for a living.
At which point it takes on a different perspective......

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:36:42 am »

It turns into work? :(

(Out of interest, what kind of model-making; architectural, effects, technical?)

I have a bunch of 1/72 kits in the loft; I'm hoping to get round to finishing some them once the toddlers give me a little more free time (so probably around 2037 then...)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:41:28 am »
I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to start my Banzai 16th scale steam roller kit.  It is not the finest quality moulding, so some filling and sanding will be required.

I think its about 20yrs old.
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:49:57 am »
I built a stack of Airfix kits in the 60s, my favourites being the Rosebud locomotive series (saddle tank in particular) and WW1/WW2 aircraft.  Of the latter I liked the Sunderland the best.  Gave them all away to local kids when I moved out.  My mum breathed a sigh of relief: they had lived on the piano and she'd been dusting them for years without saying anything.

I rather fancy doing a DO-X flying boat (as flown by Jerry Cornelius), but my hands are very shaky these days and I'd have to dust it myself.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:09:18 am »
I did loads when I was a teenager. WWII aircraft and armour mainly but also some ships. Have thought about getting back into it as I used to find it very relaxing but then thought about what the hell would I do with them when I finished them as there would be no way Mrs Pcolbeck would let them be displayed.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:59:05 am »
I used to send out remote control model Land Rovers and the like as Christmas gifts to customers. I assumed they'd play with them at the office, then take them home for the kids. I badged them up the same as my actual Land Rover.

I could adapt some of the Shaun the Sheep stuff for that purpose.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »
Well, looking at the quality of those builds I'm certainly not going to post a picture of the 1/72 MKI Hurricane I built recently. I'd be ashamed to.

By way of an aside, the quality of  the mouldings and detail on the new/refreshed Airfix kits is astonishingly good as is the part fit; you can do an out of the box build and get very acceptable results without resorting to filler if you use a liquid glue.

The kit I want to get my hands on is the Bristol Belvedere, but it's not currently in production.

T42 - shaky hands.  Yup and the improved detailing makes it more "fun".  F'rinstance the old Hurricane kit wheels down variant had the oleo and wheel well covers moulded as one piece, the new one has 4 or 5 parts per wheel.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #10 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:05:09 pm »
Nice thread. And ref old Airfix models, in particular unfinished ones, I had a clear out recently and came across a still-in-the-bag SR53. It was about to go in the bin, and then, for a laugh, I checked on eBay.

Good grief.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:45:14 pm »

It turns into work? :(

(Out of interest, what kind of model-making; architectural, effects, technical?)

I have a bunch of 1/72 kits in the loft; I'm hoping to get round to finishing some them once the toddlers give me a little more free time (so probably around 2037 then...)

My bold.
Exactly that.
Mostly product - I trained as  a product designer, relatively little architectural (thank god - booooorrrriiiinnnggg - too many windows), no SFX although plenty of people I worked alongside did SFX.
I did stuff ranging from paper or foam conceptual ideas, to fully engineered, working prototypes.

You got SKY TV? Footprint shaped remote control? I did that, (No, I didn't invent it, like with the rest of my work, there was a team involved), around 25 years ago. It has developed over the years, but the fundamental shape remains the same as it was 25 years ago.
Flown business class on BA? They were the first to introduce full length beds. I did the conceptual 1:1 scale foam modelling for those. (Somehow, as a result of that job, my courier bags have ended up having aircraft seat-belt buckles  ;))
Titan washing machine? (Look it up) The people I was working for did most of the development for that. I played my part.
Beer fonts, for Carlsberg, Stella etc etc.
Samsonite luggage - I made models for all that they put on luggage trolleys in the early 90's
Also, loads of work for museums, The Science Museum in particular.
Anyway, this is just turning into a list.

Time to get back to Brian's gallery :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:10:17 pm »
Another lapsed enthusiast here, didn't Airfix go bust at one stage?

« Reply #13 on: 28 January, 2016, 10:21:45 pm »
It goes without saying that BrianI's photography skills do well to show off his modelling skills.
It takes only the slightest squint in the eye on some images to blur the difference between model and reality.

« Reply #14 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:19:38 pm »
Did anyone else build the Protar Provini 1:9 Raleigh and other bicycles?

I think they did a Colnago and maybe a Bianchi as well. I have the above one and also the blue/yellow/white Panasonic Raleigh.

Couldn't say I'm a great model maker though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:47:32 am »
T42 - shaky hands.  Yup and the improved detailing makes it more "fun".  F'rinstance the old Hurricane kit wheels down variant had the oleo and wheel well covers moulded as one piece, the new one has 4 or 5 parts per wheel.

I can't remember building one but I'm sure I did.  The fiddliest one I do remember was the Supermarine Walrus with the engine nacelle on eight struts. Getting that straight with my father breathing over my shoulder was hell.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:05:41 am »
I recall hours of fun with sandpaper and rubber bands trying to get the two halves of a C-1301 fuselage to mate up once the load bay floor was installed.

1: Also included a Lard-Rover towing a trailed Bloodhound missile and, IIRC, an RAF policeman.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2016, 07:39:07 pm »
I recall hours of fun with sandpaper and rubber bands trying to get the two halves of a C-1301 fuselage to mate up once the load bay floor was installed.

1: Also included a Lard-Rover towing a trailed Bloodhound missile and, IIRC, an RAF policeman.

That was a kit I always wanted
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

BrianI

« Reply #18 on: 09 November, 2016, 08:25:11 pm »
Bit of an update, with a build which has taken 11 months 15 days to complete (due to several painting issues.)

« Reply #19 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:17:50 am »
Can anyone please explain why this model attracts such a premium ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:33:10 am »
Never re-released? Dunno how much of a silly eBay premium there is on that auction, but I'd have thought an old kit like that (note plastic bag rather than a box) would get the collectors going.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:39:29 pm »
Bit of an update, with a build which has taken 11 months 15 days to complete (due to several painting issues.)

That is stunning.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

BrianI

« Reply #22 on: 15 November, 2016, 02:15:11 pm »

That is stunning.

Thanks!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 15 November, 2016, 02:56:51 pm »

That is stunning.

Thanks!   :thumbsup:

Yes, amazinngly good and consistent panel fit/gaps.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2016, 03:06:09 pm »
I used to like to make biplanes in particular, the 1/72 scale ones.  If I did any more (and I'd like to) I'd go for larger scale, but they get a bit pricey!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)