Author Topic: Decent compact digital camera  (Read 4622 times)

Decent compact digital camera
« on: 29 March, 2008, 10:22:35 am »
I have a decent "compact" digicam, a Canon Powershot S7. Aside from an ergonomic gripe or two, it does a great job, but it is very clunky.

I was amazed at the size of some of the true compacts when I had a quick look last time I was home. Is there one that does a very good job and falls below £100? Preferably 5MP+. It'd be for casual use and decent flash performance would be a bonus.

It would be mostly used for quick snaps of the kids, though if it's really compact, I'd be tempted to carry it out & about. I don't feel like doing that with the Canon because of its size.

TIA
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Decent compact digital camera
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2008, 10:44:09 am »
Have a look on Amazon.
My Canon IXUS 7MP has dropped in price since I bought it last year.

Amazon emailed me about another brand of 7MP camera last week. I think this was under £100.

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2008, 02:31:27 pm »
Casio Exilim EX-S770.

The cheapest I've found is here  .... http://www.microanvika.com/product.asp?TXT=INFO&PNO=CAS52005&ref=froogle&cam=CAS52005&key=141174

but I'm sure there are other sources.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:09:54 pm »
This super-compact Pentax Optio s5i fits the bill if second-hand would be acceptable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330224185772

This model is a few years old so there are better super-compacts now, but they tend to cost well over £100, and also tend not to have optical viewfinders.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:15:33 pm »
I got my Fuji E900 from Amazon at low price for such a high resolution camera. I got a 1GB card and that´s t. It comes with rechargeable batteries and a charger; of course it takes normal batteries, available anywhere in the world.

It is a great little camera which often travels with me as I enjoy taking camera on the go. Very happy.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 07:57:08 am »
Thanks for the tips. Since posting, I've noticed the phototalk board, so I'll use that in future.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »
A lower resolution than you specified but I got one of these the other day for £9.99

http://www.praktica-uk.com/product_info.php?products_id=265

Ideal for the jersey pocket and takes a SD expansion card
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2008, 09:29:50 pm »
The Canon Ixus models get my vote on all counts ... just add a bigger SD card (from 7day shop in the CI) for no money.

Rob

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2008, 08:26:15 am »
As I have a decent camera already, I'm sort of tempted by this. Am I being silly? My Aldi Mp3 player is a little gem!

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2008, 09:14:34 am »
You can get a Samsung or even an older model Canon for the same price as that no name brand. I wouldn't buy it its not that good a deal.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2008, 09:19:52 am »
I bought Santa bought my son one of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-A460-Digital-Camera/dp/B000MRVR8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207210562&sr=8-2

Its well built, and takes great shots, and only £4 more than the Aldi one. Look at the reviews on Amazon!

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2008, 09:26:05 am »
The red Canon is the same price as the Aldi one !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2008, 10:12:01 am »
The red Canon is the same price as the Aldi one !

Canon are also nice because they use fairly standard computer accessory things. My Ixus uses a standard mini-B - USB cable (my parents' digital cameras use different cables and not all Fuji cables are the same. I ordered the wrong cable after Dad lost his Fuji thing.  :( :( ) I can also use the Canon cable to connect my Motorola phone to a computer.
The IXUS uses SD cards, which are easy to obtain and read.

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2008, 12:08:21 am »
The Canon Ixus models get my vote on all counts ... just add a bigger SD card (from 7day shop in the CI) for no money.

Rob

beware of buying from 7dayshop, i got hit for £40 import duty on a camera from them.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:36:23 am »
Big SD cards from Amazon are now cheaper than brake blocks from wiggle.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-70-Digital-Camera/dp/B000NUWJNS/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207643292&sr=1-21

is only marginally over the £100 threshold.