Author Topic: [HAMR] A Record Too Dangerous to Break...  (Read 36957 times)

Re: A Record Too Dangerous to Break...
« Reply #75 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »
First read about this last year....thought it was incredible....200 miles a day (320K) for well over a year...that's over 1,000 points in audax parlance! Also in 1939/40 with none of the supposed adavantages we have today - equipment, lighting, road surfaces, nutrition - just mind blowing. Bikey Mikey, Pete Turnbull, Steve Abraham and other super audaxers are impressive, this is something else again.

Also pretty surprised how little known this achievement is although this is something shared by the audax world, where acheivements gain little recognition even in the rest of cycling.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #76 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:37:07 pm »
 I think TG's audax palmares might be good enough to get sponsorship from Rapha.  They do audax now and they like the "hard man" image.

How much are we looking at for rent, bills and food for a year?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #77 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »
Mike hall is not far off a double century each day and he is really racing round the world at the moment. He would just need to keep going after his round the world?? Mind blowing figures.
 Yes it would be a new points record near 1200.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #78 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:44:43 pm »
14,800 kms in Audax events since 1st Nov - some still awaiting validation of course. I have another 800 this weekend (Friday to Sunday, mind).

Website shows 127 points (21 behind as it were).

Hmm, over halfway to 300 points before the halfway point in the season. Is this a record attempt? Will the 50% rule prevent it counting?

It's not a record attempt but since my accident I can't work, nor really do anything other than watch TV or ride my bike.  So riding my bike, and especially riding audaxes, has literally become my life.  Brain damage can do funny things, and I am lucky that I have found something that I enjoy and that suits my problems - having a Garmin dictate my every second four days a week in some ways makes up for my brain not being able to run my life the way it used to...

Here is a link to the AUK page http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/2012/listride/?Rider=6372

There are five more calendar event points awaited from the two Penzance rides which have been discussed on here.. and I make my calendar event total 43 points..

Yes the 50% rule applies as regards major cups and trophies, but possibly not actual points totals...

50% rule aimed at ensuring that the people who get 'rewarded' at the end of the season are not those who just go out on their own doing DIYs, but rather 'good eggs' who support lots of calendar events and who therefore get to meet lots of people, and maybe encourage to others to do the same...

Frankly as a non driver I feel that the 50% rule should not apply where you have done a significant number of calendar events in the year, and I have done just about every calendar event I could have, (I am still not allowed to drive, having given up my driving license, so many of my DIY miles are to and from events).    I have done more calendar events than anyone else so far this year, so it seems a bit strange that a rule designed to encourage people to do calendar events should bite me on the bum...... but that's probably not what 'they' had in mind...   :smug:
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #79 on: 19 April, 2012, 07:46:14 pm »
Mike hall is not far off a double century each day and he is really racing round the world at the moment. He would just need to keep going after his round the world?? Mind blowing figures.

You could be right. I believe the RTWers get time off for transfers, so maybe that would dent his 'real' average?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #80 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:03:29 pm »
It's not a record attempt

You're at least level, if not ahead of where I was in 2007. I had 200 by the end of June. You'd still only have 11 months instead of the 12 I had, but I say keep going for 12. There most likely aren't enough calendar points for you to top 405 and stay with the 50% rule anyway so IMO championship points are irrelevant. (They just don't expect us to do that much! ;D)

If you top 405 in 12 months, I would certainly propose at the AGM that it is mentioned in the handbook. But I suspect that I wouldn't need to.

« Reply #81 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:12:04 pm »
It's worth remembering that the speed limit for HGVs was 20mph from 1934. My Dad tells stories of how club runs would latch onto the back of a lorry in the 1940s. There was also an extensive network of transport cafes. I don't wish to belittle the achievement, but it was a different world.

« Reply #82 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:18:19 pm »
I think TG's audax palmares might be good enough to get sponsorship from Rapha.  They do audax now and they like the "hard man" image.

There are quite a few barriers to break down to have a go. How much? I budgeted for £1000 a month when I took voluntary redundancy and buggered off in my tent for about 5 months. That paid my bills as well as my touring.
Traffic is a big pain too. I think I'd want to do it in the USA if I could. Hundreds of miles of hassle free cycling in places like Arizona. AGPS is all well and good, but they take time to put routes into.

I wonder if I really could have a go? Maybe something to think about if the 3 1000k rides go well? The 3 1000k rides are what I'm doing instead of the Race Across Europe. (RAAM on the cheap) but I'm a bit low on fitness and don't fancy paying the £1000 entry fee, plus another £1000 plus on expenses when I have doubts about being up to it. I did think about India, but that looks like hassle and I want something to get me fit again, so the 3 1000k rides it is and see what happens after that.
I wonder if a TV company would be interested? Success or failure could make for a good programme.

« Reply #83 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:20:50 pm »

There are quite a few barriers to break down to have a go. How much? I budgeted for £1000 a month when I took voluntary redundancy and buggered off in my tent for about 5 months. That paid my bills as well as my touring.
Traffic is a big pain too. I think I'd want to do it in the USA if I could. Hundreds of miles of hassle free cycling in places like Arizona. AGPS is all well and good, but they take time to put routes into.

I wonder if I really could have a go? Maybe something to think about if the 3 1000k rides go well? The 3 1000k rides are what I'm doing instead of the Race Across Europe. (RAAM on the cheap) but I'm a bit low on fitness and don't fancy paying the £1000 entry fee, plus another £1000 plus on expenses when I have doubts about being up to it. I did think about India, but that looks like hassle and I want something to get me fit again, so the 3 1000k rides it is and see what happens after that.
I wonder if a TV company would be interested? Success or failure could make for a good programme.

I think you should go for it Steve, I will help sponsor you!

« Reply #84 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »
It's worth remembering that the speed limit for HGVs was 20mph from 1934. My Dad tells stories of how club runs would latch onto the back of a lorry in the 1940s. There was also an extensive network of transport cafes. I don't wish to belittle the achievement, but it was a different world.

I remember Jach Eason telling me how cyclists used to slipstream trucks up The Great North Road (A1 to us youngsters) all morning, stop at a cafe, then spend all day cycling back.

Definitely a different age to now and I think that there were advantages back then. Lights were rubbish, But I suspect that there was almost no light pollution, so night vision was much better.

Tommy was a profesional too. I doubt that Team Sky would have one of their team try something like this. Perhaps I could approach Team Sky and BC as a maverick?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #85 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:26:44 pm »
an extensive network of transport cafes
Good point, I find trying to design a 200k ride around the few good transprt cafes in the south east quite tricky. It is not impossible, but tricky. And having lots of them would make riding a lot easier. Even the ones that do exist tend to not be open at strange hours. With the honourable exception of the Red Lodge, just off the A11 on the Seething 600k ride, and I am unsure if I would want to be there at 2am on a weekend.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
A Record Too Dangerous to Break...
« Reply #86 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:36:03 pm »
It's not a record attempt

You're at least level, if not ahead of where I was in 2007. I had 200 by the end of June. You'd still only have 11 months instead of the 12 I had, but I say keep going for 12. There most likely aren't enough calendar points for you to top 405 and stay with the 50% rule anyway so IMO championship points are irrelevant. (They just don't expect us to do that  much! ;D)

If you top 405 in 12 months, I would certainly propose at the AGM that it is mentioned in the handbook. But I suspect that I wouldn't need to.

Good analysis Steve, and thanks for the encouragement !! I'll just keep on going and if close at 11 months then one more  for my own 'record' would make sense...
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #87 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »

Yes. There is great cycling in India (and great other things too) but it's not for a record attempt. Some of the roads are literally rubble (though some are excellent) and though there is little traffic outside the big cities, the driving standards are, um, not a legacy of the Raj. And though we know you are not fussy about food(!) everyone gets a bad stomach at some time in India - including the locals. Plus, you can't mend puncture without attracting a dozen experts - ask Deano!

But as for the record attempt - go for it, seriously!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #88 on: 19 April, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »
Good point, I find trying to design a 200k ride around the few good transport cafes in the south east quite tricky. It is not impossible, but tricky. And having lots of them would make riding a lot easier. Even the ones that do exist tend to not be open at strange hours. With the honorable exception of the Red Lodge, just off the A11 on the Seething 600k ride, and I am unsure if I would want to be there at 2am on a weekend.

That exception is no more. Its no longer 24 hour, which is why the Green and Yellow Fields 1st control is now the 24 hour Esso station @ Mildenhall tomorrow night.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #89 on: 20 April, 2012, 07:09:31 am »
Good point, I find trying to design a 200k ride around the few good transport cafes in the south east quite tricky. It is not impossible, but tricky. And having lots of them would make riding a lot easier. Even the ones that do exist tend to not be open at strange hours. With the honorable exception of the Red Lodge, just off the A11 on the Seething 600k ride, and I am unsure if I would want to be there at 2am on a weekend.

That exception is no more. Its no longer 24 hour, which is why the Green and Yellow Fields 1st control is now the 24 hour Esso station @ Mildenhall tomorrow night.
There might not be transport cafe but there are a large number of super markets that are open 24 (not quite 7) see http://www.tesco.com/storelocator/ and type in a town. There are not many that you cannot buy cat food at 3am?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #90 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:05:56 am »
Steve, it would be brilliant if you could have a look at the logistical side of stuff to see whether you really could give this a go. If you had some TV support, it would indeed make life a lot easier- financially as much as anything. Discovery Channel have had a few documentary things about people running silly things, and I think this would fit along those lines.

Would be totally brilliant if you could give this a go :) I'd definitely be up for throwing £££ in too.

« Reply #91 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:20:15 am »

I'm told that this is still done in South Africa.

« Reply #92 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:29:39 am »

There might not be transport cafe but there are a large number of super markets that are open 24 (not quite 7) see http://www.tesco.com/storelocator/ and type in a town. There are not many that you cannot buy cat food at 3am?

BB
I think (if Steve were to try this in the UK) you've identified a potential sponsor.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #93 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:33:30 am »
^Yebbut I'm not sure even Steve is willing to live on a diet of 3am cat food!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #94 on: 20 April, 2012, 09:39:51 am »
Cheap, nutricious and cleans your cat's teeth!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #95 on: 20 April, 2012, 11:17:55 am »
Just been doing the sums (well excel has but YKWIM):

The record is 75,065 miles, or 120,805.4 km in a year.

That means you need to ride 331km/day, or keep up an average of 13.79 km/h.

Basically minimum audax speed for a whole year :o
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 20 April, 2012, 11:24:17 am »

BB
Well, apart from the morale boost of a decent sit-down meal, you'll lose a lot of time getting off your nice fast A-road to the nearest 24h Superstore.

Imagine turning off the M6 at Knutsford, and being handed a leaflet with a map to the nearest Sainsco!

Little things like this add up ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #97 on: 20 April, 2012, 11:25:42 am »
Just found a copy of this article, found on a forum some years back. I have a vague memory of FWing it to someone who was researching Tommy Goodwin, (in C+ days, IIRC)... it could even have been Dave Barter, in which case the info in the link is either on his website, or has been superseded  :-\

« Reply #98 on: 20 April, 2012, 11:28:16 am »
Just been doing the sums (well excel has but YKWIM):

The record is 75,065 miles, or 120,805.4 km in a year.

That means you need to ride 331km/day, or keep up an average of 13.79 km/h.

Basically minimum audax speed for a whole year :o

I make it 387 per day - assuming one rest day per 6 days in average.

To put that into perspective, that's considerably more per day than you'd need to capture the round-the-world record.  The RtWR has the considerable complication of route-finding, camping and food-finding in strange countries. However it has built-in rest days that are deducted from the total (transfers).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #99 on: 20 April, 2012, 12:05:13 pm »
Mr Godwin is still with us. He was on R4 the other day discussing the Olympics.

That's a diffferent Tommy Godwin, this one was born 1912, died 1975.