Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 394076 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #975 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:46:54 pm »
I was hoping that a mallen streak is a phrase meaning go-faster cycling ;D

That would be an AlanStreak.A figment of my imagination ;D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #976 on: 28 February, 2013, 07:01:47 pm »
GN - Lunch!  Nom!

BN - At 7pm.  And working on the understanding that custard creams and rich teas and hobnobs (dunked in instant coffee, natch) constituted breakfast.

GN - I have now taken all teh good drugz!  Including the ones that I should have taken to work with me.  D'oh.

BN - I would still _quite_ like to attack my own sinuses with power tools because surely that would HURT LESS since they haven't really kicked in yet.

Blimey, that was a day.  Next?

ETA 20 minutes later - Teh Drugz, they work.  Hip hip hooray!  Right.  Time to go out.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #977 on: 28 February, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »
GN: I got out and about to sunny Peatboghorror today, and escaped for a day free of Useless Colleague no.1.

BN: The person I was meeting with was ill and working from home. Again. (sigh)

Hey ho. At least I get paid for the extra fuel.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #978 on: 06 March, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »
Good News: Finally sorted out all the infernal legal wrangles for my new house so I can actually move in on Friday* :D :D :D

Bad News: My tenancy on my current flat runs from the 1st of the month, so it looks like I will have to rent my current flat until the 30th April** ::-)

*Up until yesterday there was a chance I was going to have to call it off - tip never buy from a liquidator
**The friendly(!) letting agent is checking just in case, but it looks like that's what I'm signed up for.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #979 on: 06 March, 2013, 07:15:46 pm »
Good news: I've now got two job interviews lined up.

Bad news: I came off on a greasy corner, and have ripped my shorts as well as various bits of skin.  It's time to go to the bike shop and pre-emptively spend some of that salary I'll hopefully be getting.

LindaG

« Reply #980 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:46:30 pm »
Good News: Finally sorted out all the infernal legal wrangles for my new house so I can actually move in on Friday* :D :D :D

Bad News: My tenancy on my current flat runs from the 1st of the month, so it looks like I will have to rent my current flat until the 30th April** ::-)

*Up until yesterday there was a chance I was going to have to call it off - tip never buy from a liquidator
**The friendly(!) letting agent is checking just in case, but it looks like that's what I'm signed up for.

Congratulations!

You can always use the overlap to decorate and get rid of that spiky gravel out the back  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #981 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:54:24 pm »
Money spent on rent overlap so you don't have to move all your stuff in one go, at the same time as herding estate agents, cleaning, sorting out minor plumbing disasters, beating BT into submission, etc. is never wasted.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #982 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »
GN: Had a meeting in Copenhagen yesterday (offices in old Danisco sugar factory on the main river, lovely site), and had 4 hours mooching around in beautiful spring weather with a colleague before flight back.

BN: Had to carry small case around with me, and did not hire a bike to join in with the others.

I was not really prepared for the number of bicycle there are in Copenhagen. Blimey... Cobbles everywhere though, so skinny tyres are a bit of a no-no.

« Reply #983 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:48:32 pm »
Money spent on rent overlap so you don't have to move all your stuff in one go, at the same time as herding estate agents, cleaning, sorting out minor plumbing disasters, beating BT into submission, etc. is never wasted.

Absolutely.  I'm planning to move in to MFWHTBAB's over the course of months, a rucksack at a time....  Well, except for the book cases and sofa, I'll let him put those in the car....

Of course, I don't have to worry about the plumbing bit, as he's capable of dealing with those as they arise.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #984 on: 08 March, 2013, 05:26:12 pm »
GN:  Its friday afternoon, off to Keswick tomorrow for a weeks walking
BN:  Mrsmike cant come :(  It'll just be me.

« Reply #985 on: 12 March, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »
GN: I've finally got an eta for my new bike ordered in January, it should be arriving at the shop Mar 18th.  :thumbsup:

BN: Just read a Sgt Pluck's thread on suggestions for a bike and a number of people have said Treks are 'flexy' around the BB. My new bike is a Trek  :o
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #986 on: 12 March, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »
GN: I've finally got an eta for my new bike ordered in January, it should be arriving at the shop Mar 18th.  :thumbsup:

BN: Just read a Sgt Pluck's thread on suggestions for a bike and a number of people have said Treks are 'flexy' around the BB. My new bike is a Trek  :o

my bold.
I'm one of a number of people who are very satisfied with their Trek.There is insufficient flex in my bottom bracket to be noticed.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #987 on: 13 March, 2013, 08:50:36 am »
I would echo jogler's sentiment.

Not all Treks are equal.

The flex I saw was in the chainstay, quite noticeable on shyumu's Trek, but most definately not there on my Ridley.

Of course, being able to flex chainstays is a function of 1) your weight and 2) the amount of Watts you can put through the drivetrain.

I used to be able to flex the chainstays on my Claud Butler so much that the tyre rubbed against them.  No chance of doing this with the Ridley.  However the trade off is that the Ridley is quite a harsh ride.  Effective at putting the power down, yes, but comfy over long rides, maybe less so...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #988 on: 13 March, 2013, 10:39:17 am »

Of course, being able to flex chainstays is a function of 1) your weight and 2) the amount of Watts you can put through the drivetrain.

I have a bit of an issue with 1)* & no prblem with 2)**

*too much
**not enough
 ::-)

« Reply #989 on: 14 March, 2013, 06:34:02 am »
Well I'm light and weak so think I'll be ok  :thumbsup: Cheers for the reassurance guys.

LindaG

« Reply #990 on: 14 March, 2013, 08:04:36 am »
Shyumu is pretty darned strong.

« Reply #991 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »
GN: I may have found the source of the creaking we had on the 300 last weekend.

BN: The RH chainstay on our Santana appears to be trying to part company from the seat tube....
California Dreaming

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #992 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:07:44 pm »
You Things are just too rough with your toys!

At least it will be easier to get sorted on that side of the Pond than from here.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #993 on: 17 March, 2013, 03:38:53 am »
You Things are just too rough with your toys!

At least it will be easier to get sorted on that side of the Pond than from here.

Yup. She's already back at the local dealers who will strip it & send it to Santana. She's likely to be away for 6-8 weeks though (& 1300km of events)  :'(

This afternoon we've been converting Dobbin from heavy duty touring mode to randonneuring mode, which gives us the option to ride a tandem or solos.
California Dreaming

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #994 on: 18 March, 2013, 07:30:30 pm »
GN: Media Centre RasPi turned up today - I feel a bit of hackery coming on, although I'm trying to fight down an urge to download the RiscOS image and take that for a spin :)

BN: A promising looking job lead turned out to be for an outfit with strong links to the finance industry; I've told the slave-traders where they can shove it and I'll overlook the fact that they royally bullshitted me with respect to what the company in question did - if they thought that I wouldn't do any further research they were either extremely naive or monumentally stupid. The jury's out on that one.

« Reply #995 on: 24 March, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
GN: I haz my new bike  :thumbsup:

BN: It haz issues, a lowrider mount in the fork turning freely whilst trying to undo the bolt, not ideal. Plus I nearly crossthreaded two other bolt holes as the finishing on them isn't great, I don't think I did any damage and they're ok as long as you're careful but given this bike cost ~3.5x what I paid for my last one I'd expect better.

It's a shame as it's a nice bike and I am pleased with it overall it's just put a bit of a damper on what was an exciting day to start off with. Plus my extended fettling means I didn't get to go on a proper ride of my new toy, just 4 miles up and down whilst fiddling with brakes and whatnot.

BN: I've not got any of my assignment due Thursday done which means a couple busy evenings ahead, ok I admit I should have studied first and fettled second but didn't expect it to take as long as it did.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #996 on: 29 March, 2013, 05:21:58 pm »
Good news: half-price port at Booths!
Bad news: I don't need to spell it out, do I?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #997 on: 29 March, 2013, 05:26:38 pm »
Good - Going out for tea later.
Bad - my kitteh has got poopy feet :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #998 on: 29 March, 2013, 05:27:31 pm »
Good: Survived the FNRttC

Bad: Lungs b0rked

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #999 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:38:47 am »
Bad News:  I have to drive up to Brum at some point today so that I can go to work on Wednesday and Thursday.

Good News:  I'll be leaving work as soon as I can get away with on Thursday and driving back down.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.