Author Topic: Munich to Venice bike trail blog report.  (Read 1894 times)

Munich to Venice bike trail blog report.
« on: 10 December, 2016, 10:56:40 pm »
Hi,
blog of our tour with pics is up on the Firefly site below.
Its a great route, highly recommend it.
http://fireflyadventureteam.com/stories/11-adventure-report/88-munich-to-venice.html
often lost.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Munich to Venice bike trail blog report.
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2016, 11:08:04 pm »
That looks wonderful!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2016, 08:40:37 am »
Enjoyed that. (It's a trip I fancy, but would prefer more tarmac, so research required.)

We were in Venice for 3 nights this week, our first time (it is a fantastic place BTW, if anyone hasn't been!). I'd read in a few places that bikes were "banned", and I may have managed a personal PB of not seeing a bicycle for 3.5 days. So I assumed any ride to Venice would require parking up on the mainland somewhere.

Then I saw your picture:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2016, 10:41:23 am »
Wonderful, made sat here on a Sunday in winter all that harder and triggered some ideas for cycle touring next year - great stuff!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2016, 01:31:44 pm »
Venice has two main ways in, one being the causeway from Maestri and the other the various boats. The causeway terminates in a large railway station and a mahoosive car park; no knowledge of bike security there. If coming from the other side, Jesolo or Cavallino, the ferry terminal is at Punta Sabbioni where there are bike stands. That ferry deposits you at Piazza San Marco.

Tourist hints: riding out of Munich Airport is a nightmare. Take the S-Bahn one stop (bikes allowed) to the South and pick up the Isar Radweg.
If visiting Venice, get to San Marco early and take the lift (about two Euros) to the top of the Campanile. You avoid the grockle rush, and the views are stunning.
Camp sites are spread along the spit from Sabbioni to Jesolo.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2016, 02:14:08 pm »
Enjoyed that. (It's a trip I fancy, but would prefer more tarmac, so research required.)

We were in Venice for 3 nights this week, our first time (it is a fantastic place BTW, if anyone hasn't been!). I'd read in a few places that bikes were "banned", and I may have managed a personal PB of not seeing a bicycle for 3.5 days. So I assumed any ride to Venice would require parking up on the mainland somewhere.

Then I saw your picture:

LOL,
in truth the bikes were portaged from the airport to the hotel, then after a couple of photos at the dock dismantled and packed into bike bags for the return flight (pre sent to the hotel from Munich) I did see a couple of bikes about but mainly kids in the squares. All those steps........
You can certainly avoid some of the gnarlier gravel sections of the M2V route by taking nearby roads. There are plenty of other side trips that spin off the trail too that we would love to have a bash at on some future ride.

I'm glad people are enjoying the blog, its a lovely part of the World to cycle.
often lost.

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2016, 04:09:42 pm »
Really enjoyed that. Looks fabulous.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain