Author Topic: Should we go to the Jura?  (Read 940 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Should we go to the Jura?
« on: 03 January, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
Usually in August we go for a week riding up the French Alps followed by a week of pootling and eating in the Drôme.
We've started to struggle for new places to go in the Alps and we're looking for somewhere new for the first week that's close enough to our 2nd week accomodation in the Drôme but is enough of a challenge. (We've done the pyrenees for the 1st week previously, and while good, using the autoroute from West to East on a black Saturday was a bloody nightmare.)

I saw the Col du Grand Colombiere on the Tour a couple of years ago and thought Pingu might fancy a bash at the Brotherhood of the Crackpots ;).

So, do you think the French Jura might tick our boxes? We would need to have a reasonable town for us to stay in as we usually go self/ no-catering for the first week.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Should we go to the Jura?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2017, 02:19:20 pm »
Can't help much, I'm afraid. I've been across it a few times in the course of BRMs etc, so never too high and never stayed long.

You could always stay there a week to knock off the Grand Colombier & the Faucille then move north for a go at the Vosges. Max there is 1300+ metres but there are lots of vineyards and pretty villages lower down, and several hundred km of cycle tracks and quiet roads. Good food in Alsace too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight