Linked Events

• Beer Festival camp.: 15 October, 2016 - 16 October, 2016

Author Topic: Yorkshire vs Cumbria Beer Festival + Walk/Ride/Camping (13th - Sat 15th Oct.)  (Read 7196 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I was going to say "Skipton doesn't even have a station according to the map I'm looking at" then I realised it does, just the scale is sending me in the wrong place.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
I would suggest getting a train to Leeds and hopping on the Ilkley train.
It would be quicker and cheaper than going to Skipton.
Then make your way to Appletreewick via Nesfield, Beamsley and Bolton Abbey.
There is hardly any difference in the distance to Appletreewick from either station.

There's a line in to Skipton from Lancaster too, in case that's any cheaper from way down where you are, Cudz.

Either way, I'd look at getting a train to Gargrave (if you can find one) as it's a pleasanter route than from Skipton or Ilkley.

Cudzoziemiec

Thanks Deano, checked Gargrave (I'd never heard of the place before!) but for some reason it involves an extra change with a 90 minute wait, so Skipton or Ilkley seem better. If I decide it's not going to be too frozen anyway!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have just attempted to book the campsite but my booking was rejected because I had allegedly entered an invalid card start date. Given that there wasn't a field for the card start date... I have emailed the campsite with our requirements. It seems that we have electrons as standard. By the time we get there we should also have an electric assist tandem. The idea is that people should not be waiting for us at the top of hills, or, if they are, not for very long!

We will be driving up. I will probably borrow Dez's charging cable for the car as it's adjustable and you can set the charging rate down to 6 amps. This will be fine for overnight charging and will be less likely to blow any fuses.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Well this is taking off like a frog in a sock :)

Saturday the 15th : I will be cycling from from Skipton* at about 11-12'ish** for anyone who wants to join me. Others are more than welcome to plan their own route and arrival time.

I'm planning to take this route over there - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6926929

If we need to there is a rather good cafe at Bolton Abbey at about 7.5 miles, after that there will be some lumpy/sharp hills (which I might end up walking) for a while before it becomes rolling. It will only be busy within Skipton and the near Bolton Abbey else it should be quiet lanes.

Then chill out, enjoy a ride, walk or swim or the ales.

Sunday 16th Oct. : Wake up, pack up and for those who want to,  ride to the cafe in Burnsall about a mile up the road to have breakfast. Then meander back to Skipton either via Cracoe, Hetton, Flasby, Gargrave (something like this - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6926943) or even just reverse the route out there.

I'm doing this short ride just to make it an easy ride and to get back into it for myself  following my long illness. Remember it is October and it is Yorkshire so high risk of rain and brrrrr. Please book camping (best to phone Masons Campsite rather than email) and trains yourself. As others have said, Skipton and Ilkley are the closest stations. It would be great to see you if you can come and join. If you want to stay longer or arrive earlier, it's all very open to you. I'm not "organising" this in the normal yacf sense. Peli will probably stay with the dog at home and might ride over to join us in Burnsall on the Saturday.

* Free parking, on the streets next to us, for people who want to join me in riding over, which will also make camping cheaper - £8 for a tent.
** Depending on when people can arrive by train. I'm happy to wait a bit. Though want to be leaving Skipton no later than high noon.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

I was going to say "Skipton doesn't even have a station according to the map I'm looking at" then I realised it does, just the scale is sending me in the wrong place.
Ha, it does, manned by about 15 station staff when I get my train to work, all standing around gabbing instead of checking tickets. Or asking me about my Brompton. They get concerned when I've not brought it. Nosy they are, too. ;)

Cudzoziemiec

Excellent! When/if I get there, I'll tell them "I'm here because of that Peli. You know, the one with the Brompton."  :)

They all think I live in Embsay, a posh village up the road, rather than in a common-or-garden terrace in the middle of Skipton. It's very embarrassing. They misheard me one day and I misheard them. So I sort of go along with it now as I'm in too deep.  :-[ I'm known as "That cycling lass with the tiny bike. Lives in Embsay, you know!"

When Valiant of this parish had an outing to Embsay with us he was very confused. He thought we were talking about a local Master of Ceremonies.  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

To me it looks like it should be where the ambassador lives!

;D

Took me a while.

Just thought I'd book the campsite for this jaunt for me and a campervan........whoa.......£58.50 for 2 nights is the online cost!!! Will be reconsidering my options but leaving the van with you in Skipton (or a friend) and cycling looks like a better option.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
You can park it next to ours.

Really sorry I can't make this jaunt - family matters have intervened. Have fun next weekend, I hope Yorkshire wins the beer-off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Also won't be there.  I've left it too late, and I'm not really mobile enough, even with the aid of a motor vehicle.

I've had chest and stomach lurgy and am still not 100% so will be hibernating at home. If I know Woolly, though, I'm sure he will find folk to drink with. ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Looks like Jan and me then...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
@JenM: they have won every year I hint a bit of bias :)

See ya all there, I still hope to depart from Skiptonia at about high noon.

Cudzoziemiec

I almost certainly won't be there unless something exceptional happens between now and next weekend.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
We are going to have to disappear early on the Sunday. We are due in Maidstone in the evening.  :-\

Also, do we have a list of definites?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Me, myself and I.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
I will more than likely ride past the Craven Arms on Saturday. I will look out for you Wooly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Here is the menu

Bit disappointed but we already had other arrangements for this coming weekend.   As well as visitors I have ongoing Billy assembly and fitting to crack on with.

Have a great time folks.    8) 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Well that was fun :)

I was wrong it was Yorkshire VA Northumberland and from what I managed to sample I think the away team had a better brew going.

http://www.woollypigs.com/2016/10/beer-fest-camp/