Author Topic: NCR 26: Cattistock to Dorchester  (Read 964 times)

NCR 26: Cattistock to Dorchester
« on: 02 October, 2016, 07:33:21 pm »
Anyone got any experience of this please?  I am tasked with organising our annual ride which takes place next weekend and I am now having second thoughts about my route. So  I have been wondering about a slight reduction in mileage which means getting back to Dorchester from Cattistock a bit more directly than my original proposal to go via Cerne Abbas.  The map shows NCR 26 running from Cattistock down to Dorchester, but the section from Cruxton to Muckleford looks like it could be a bit rubbish.  Is this do-able on road bikes?

Re: NCR 26: Cattistock to Dorchester
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2016, 07:35:44 pm »
Charlie Boy is the man to ask

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2016, 07:45:51 pm »
Ridden the bit from near grimstone to dorchester. All on tarmac and very nice.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:37:28 pm »
Just seen this - sorry too late for your ride.

But if you didn't go that way, it is a track between Maiden Newton and Wrackleford so no good on a road bike. The parallel A37 has a 'cycle path' adjoining it with a rubbish surface and tree roots pushing up through the tarmac - best avoided.

Cattistock - Sydling - Cerne is more scenic; it's used on the Hardboiled which will give you some idea!
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:39:31 pm »
I can't tell you how many times I've ridden that section, from Cerne Abbas to Cattistock, as a teenager, on my way for an underage pint (or four, depending on my success on the fruit machine) at The Talbot.