Author Topic: Wahoo Roam v2 - rides recorded as “OTHER"  (Read 1059 times)

Wahoo Roam v2 - rides recorded as “OTHER"
« on: 20 November, 2023, 08:45:40 pm »
I have noticed that my commutes are being uploaded to Strava entitled “OTHER”.

Why is the Elemnt device or app naming all my rides thusly?

I can’t see any relevant settings in the app or the Roam.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Wahoo Roam v2 - rides recorded as “OTHER"
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2023, 08:50:12 pm »
No idea about Wahoo, but a couple of months ago Strava changed something that meant that GPXes uploaded to their API without specifying an activity-type started being listed as 'workout' rather than 'ride'.  Which admittedly makes more sense as a default.

If Wahoo doesn't provide a way to set the activity-type parameter, there's not much you can do about it, other than uploading with something that does.

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2023, 09:19:57 pm »
My app is affected by what Kim describes, because it turns out the third party library I'm using let you specify an activity type but didn't actually send it to Strava with the upload, and it only worked because Strava chose Ride for you. Hooray for third party libraries.

Strava's documentation says they will auto-detect sport type if none is specified. Always picking Workout is a bit crap, as is changing the API behaviour without noting it in the changelog.

(they currently have a project to make API users grovel for continued access, so look forward to some apps breaking completely early next year)

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2023, 09:47:42 pm »
When I owned a Wahoo I remember it started doing this, and I solved it, but I can't remember why or how.

You can put this down to age.

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2023, 10:04:37 pm »
I have a v1, this seems to happen to me when it dies mid ride, I get it home, plug it in, it turns back on, recovers the ride, connects to my phone, and automatically uploads the recovered ride. No idea why it might be happening for every ride though

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2023, 09:01:08 am »
I submitted a support request, let's see what they say.

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2023, 09:56:49 pm »
Fairly typical Wahoo support. First, they replied saying they had looked at my recent rides, could only see one marked as “OTHER”, and asked for screenshots to show the issue. That was a bit odd, as there are loads of examples on the first few pages of my history. Screenshots sent showing about 10 examples just from the last week or two.

Another few days go by. Wahoo support has clearly been working hard on this, as the response was “have you tried just renaming the rides?”  ::-) <sigh>