Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331899 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #825 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:38:28 pm »
My zip only goes down the bag to just below my waist, though. The only thing I could stick out of that hole is of far too small a surface area to be any use at all as a cooling fin.

*boggle*

I'd have thought that would depend on how hot it is...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #826 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »
My zip only goes down the bag to just below my waist, though. The only thing I could stick out of that hole is of far too small a surface area to be any use at all as a cooling fin.

*boggle*

I'd have thought that would depend on how hot it is...

These days, not very.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #827 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »
A secondhand Coleman suitcase stove because (a) I like cleaning up and rebuilding them and (b) the butane stove we have for family camping is hopeless, with all the power of a Bic lighter even with a full gas bottle.  And it takes up way too much space in the car when you add on that huge steel bottle, and it's a pain to connect the hose every time.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #828 on: 04 October, 2012, 07:26:32 am »
A 5l can of panel wipe to use as an alternative fuel in my Coleman dual fuel lantern.  Only £15 from here: http://www.metalflake.co.uk/product_details.php?id=PWS050

« Reply #829 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:19:37 am »
Another stove:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/pages/contact.html

I bought the smaller one and found in kitchen trials that it works better under my pot (http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product513.asp?PageID=100) which is broader than my Ti mug and made of thinner metal.

I'm not keen on meths but it will make a light back up for my hexy burner (http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-multi-fuel-stove.html)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #830 on: 07 October, 2012, 08:00:59 am »
Got my Solo wood stove yesterday and tried it in the garden. Excellent little tool.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #831 on: 07 October, 2012, 09:53:04 am »
Took delivery of a Caldera Cone meths stove kit for my MSR Titan Kettle - http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/trail_designs_caldera_cone_stove_for_msr_titan_kettle.html

It's a pretty nifty bit of kit that allows you to boil a pot of water on a thimble full of meths.  It's also really stable, it would take a significant knock to tip your pot over, and it is silent on operation.

rogerzilla

« Reply #832 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:08:29 am »
£37?  I need to start making stuff like this.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #833 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:42:49 am »
£37?  I need to start making stuff like this.

Indeed and the stove is made out of 'recycled aluminium products' i.e. old coke cans.  A guy on the Outdoor Magic forum has produced a script that allows you to tweak parameters based on different pots and stoves and outputs a template for a cone.  http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/the-caldera-clone/22357.html

I could not be bothered with all that pish, however.

rogerzilla

« Reply #834 on: 07 October, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »
A 5l can of panel wipe to use as an alternative fuel in my Coleman dual fuel lantern.  Only £15 from here: http://www.metalflake.co.uk/product_details.php?id=PWS050
Let me know how it works.  That's just under half the price of Primus Power Fuel (sold by Cotswold Outdoor, £6.30 a litre if you have a National Trust card and get 10% discount). 

Mind you, the best quality low-odour white spirit is £6.99 for two litres and burns very well if you treat it as kerosene in a multifuel stove.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #835 on: 07 October, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
Let me know how it works.  That's just under half the price of Primus Power Fuel (sold by Cotswold Outdoor, £6.30 a litre if you have a National Trust card and get 10% discount). 

Mind you, the best quality low-odour white spirit is £6.99 for two litres and burns very well if you treat it as kerosene in a multifuel stove.

It's pure hexane, so at the lighter end of the Naptha scale, and the feedback on the Bushcraftuk forum is that it burns well in lanterns and stoves (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94673&highlight=TETROSYL).  I've still to use it in anger but I'll let you know how I get on.  By the way delivery was free and it turned up in 2 days.

« Reply #836 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:34:54 am »
A Kelly Kettle  :thumbsup:

« Reply #837 on: 19 October, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »
2x packets of Maya sticks, and a Hultafors knife

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #838 on: 19 October, 2012, 10:47:02 pm »
I just received the Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar which I ordered from the US 6 weeks ago.  It's essentially a big pentagon of Silnylon that can be viewed as a very basic tent or a quite fancy tarp.  The backpacking nerds have been raving about them so I though I'd see what all the fuss was about.

Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #839 on: 20 October, 2012, 02:58:13 pm »
Purchased a new black oxide leatherman wave to replace a rebar. The rebar is covered in rust, even after being regularly oiled :( it is now relegated to the shed!

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #840 on: 20 October, 2012, 08:32:20 pm »
I just received the Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar which I ordered from the US 6 weeks ago.  It's essentially a big pentagon of Silnylon that can be viewed as a very basic tent or a quite fancy tarp.  The backpacking nerds have been raving about them so I though I'd see what all the fuss was about.

I noticed Chris Townsend using something like that on his blog photos, I used my new TarpTent Moment on a backpacking trip recently and though it wasn't as comfortable as my regular tent I really noticed the ease of pitching, extra room in pack and maybe weight saving too.  For cycling, I really don't understand why anyone should need more than this as if the weather's that bad you wouldn't enjoy cycling in it, would you?  Will you be using a bivvy bag inside it? - I got a Wild Country one that only weighs 200g.

Would probably be a good business opportunity for someone to import these as the custom charges take ages and the postage is prohibitive, as you point out.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #841 on: 20 October, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »
I noticed Chris Townsend using something like that on his blog photos, I used my new TarpTent Moment on a backpacking trip recently and though it wasn't as comfortable as my regular tent I really noticed the ease of pitching, extra room in pack and maybe weight saving too.  For cycling, I really don't understand why anyone should need more than this as if the weather's that bad you wouldn't enjoy cycling in it, would you?  Will you be using a bivvy bag inside it? - I got a Wild Country one that only weighs 200g.

Would probably be a good business opportunity for someone to import these as the custom charges take ages and the postage is prohibitive, as you point out.

It is the shelter that Chris Townsend has been raving about, which is how I first became aware of it.  I also managed to dodge any customs charges so it only cost around £130 including postage, which is pretty good value for a hand made piece of kit.

I'm not planning on using a bivvy bag, I've got an Oookworks bathtub floor that I can use but I've also ordered an Oookstar nest for it.  This is essentially an inner tent for the Trailstar and the whole weight for the Trailstar and nest will be around 1kg.

I pitched it for the first time today and the space inside is very impressive.  It's also very easy to pitch.  You can see the Oooktub lurking at the back in this picture:

« Reply #842 on: 24 October, 2012, 11:02:29 pm »
Looks great, I might have been tempted myself if I'd known about them, but I'm also v happy with my Moment which I successfully pitched in coffin-sized spaces 2 nights running when I was nearly benighted on the hilltops and hunting for a water source - will try to upload some pics and do a write-up sometime.  The room in the porch is just what you want, sling gear around and cook freely, though I did manage to fit all my gear including rucksack in mine AND cook quite safely with the fly closed during rain, believe it or not (though I'm sure some people here will say I'm lucky I didn't burn myself to the ground ...).  The main inconvenience I find with it is the low height at the foot ends which means it's easy to catch the canopy with your head which brings down a lot of condensation drips - wouldn't matter in summer but for 3-season use I'd probably take my regular one in future at 1kg more.  I got this for potential unicycle-packing trips and airport stops as it can be pitched without pegs using a second crossover pole.

The Ookworks also do a mod to the Moment to fit a T-zip to the inner so the whole front can be opened up.  Very useful site for any repairs or mods that ever need to be done.

Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #843 on: 15 November, 2012, 03:39:05 pm »
Yesterday:

Another Alpkit timug and an Alpkit ticup. The cup fits inside a jetboil if anyone is interested! I like Alpkit stuff.

A Bulin t4-a stove, arrived today. Amazing for the price!

Today:

A cheap MSR pocket rocket clone and a clone of an Optimus stove. These fit inside my mugs.

I have developed a stove fetish over the years!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #844 on: 06 January, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »
Following a brief visit to Decathlon, an aluminium cup which could be useful, mainly because it has 100, 200 and 300ml markings on it.  I also got some cheap waterproof matches, which admittedly aren't in plastic containers like some of the previous ones, but at £3 for four packs, they're cheap enough that they're handy to have.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #845 on: 08 January, 2013, 12:01:52 am »
Four lightweight Exped tent pegs to supplement our dying collection of Hilleberg pegs.

Oh, and a big rucksack for Woolly so we can do overnight hikes in Tasmania while our bicycles wend their way slowly home through the waves (we're shipping them back on a boat).

LEE

« Reply #846 on: 12 January, 2013, 11:44:08 am »
Well ..it was all a Christmas present from my Wife (with careful prompting of course)

Trangia 27 UL with anodised pans.  Additional Gas burner, some Ti cutlery and some fuel bottles.

The Trangia kettle was additional but it still fits inside the pans, the burner fits inside the kettle and so it doesn't increase packing size at all.

Not shown is a Thermarest 25 Chair adaptor (that turns my big Alpkit Airic into an amazingly comfy chair)

Yes..I'm a lucky boy

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #847 on: 12 January, 2013, 11:49:32 am »

« Reply #848 on: 12 January, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »
We have the same Trangia 27. It's been absolutely brilliant during our trip and has allowed us to eat proper meals, even in the most remote places. Though, the anodised pans have now lost all their coating. We simply love our little kettle, and to think we nearly left it at home!

« Reply #849 on: 13 January, 2013, 11:04:22 am »
... We simply love our little kettle, and to think we nearly left it at home!

How else would you have a proper cup of tea?!
Actually, it is rocket science.