Author Topic: Transcontinental 2016  (Read 62398 times)

Re: Transcontinental 2016
« Reply #125 on: 31 July, 2016, 10:04:07 pm »
No updates on the state of hippy's knob though.

It's currently in 12th place unless he left it behind somewhere!

Phil W

« Reply #126 on: 01 August, 2016, 10:00:22 am »
More Twitter highlights

hippy @firsthippy 6m6 minutes ago
 Rwgps anger at least made me forget saddle. So threw glasses on ground too. ‪#‎TCRNo4‬ ‪#‎navfail‬ (includes picture of forest trail)

Gavin Scott @GavJScot 2h2 hours ago
 Sudocreme and wet bib shorts really shouldn't feel this good, should they? #tcrno4 ‪#‎tcrno4s13‬ ‪#‎simplethings‬

Matt Brady @allotmentlad 4h4 hours ago
 You know you're dehydrated when you've a fine Pain au Chocalate but your body won't produce enough saliva to eat it successfully #TCRNo4

hippy @firsthippy 7h7 hours ago
 Late night cctv footage from unmanned service stations across France is me with hands down shorts. #TCRNo4 ‪#‎TCRNo4S142‬ Chamois cream! Filth

Mikko Mäkipää @mkpaa 8h8 hours ago
 "I'll wake up at 2 am or when it gets too cold" - wake up was 0:56. #TCRNo4

Rose McGovern @RoseMcTweets 14h14 hours ago
 Stumbled upon a medical festival, pretty cool. Or I'm really tired. ‪#‎TCRNO4S136‬ ‪#‎journey‬ ‪#‎happytrails‬ #Primal Europe Ltd

Rose McGovern @RoseMcTweets 14h14 hours ago Souvigny, France
 When cycling through France watch out for Sword fights #Tcrno4s136 ‪#‎medival‬ ‪#‎travel‬ #happytrails

@emilychappell: Cockpit with meringue. #TCRNo4 ” Whoop . So cool. (includes picture of handlebar meringue)

Matt Swain @swainjjmatt 15h15 hours ago
 Bonkers almost got run over by group of 10 cows running loose on the road narrowly avoided only in #TCRNo4 ‪#‎tcrs156‬

Jack Thurston @jackthurston 17h17 hours ago
 For a rider in 4th place in the race @PhillipsNeil's almost 8-hour snooze-fest is very impressive. #TCRNo4 ‪#‎fresh‬

Darren Franks @darrenfranks 28m28 minutes ago
 "I have wifi at my home!" Failed to mention it was at the top of a 14% hill. There's not enough climbing in #TCRNo4

Emily Chappell @emilychappell 37m37 minutes ago
 I do not think a single piece of footage will exist from this race in which I am not eating. #TCRNo4 ‪#‎Chappetite‬

« Reply #127 on: 01 August, 2016, 12:32:39 pm »
Thanks Phil, I don't twit so keep em coming.

Kristof is through the CP2 climbing section and still riding with less than 3 hours stops since Friday night. WTF!
A few of the riders behind him have actually covered similar mileage but by less direct routes. Some of them have banked upwards of 10 hours rest though.
Surely Kristof will have to hole up soon?

#101 has scratched after being taken out by a drunk driver. sad.
often lost.

« Reply #128 on: 01 August, 2016, 12:45:25 pm »
Just catching up. Shame Josh Ibbett has packed, would have liked to see him race against Kristof.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #129 on: 01 August, 2016, 01:28:42 pm »
I just twigged that George Marshall in team 210 is the same George Marshall who finished 5th in the 24hr a week ago.
 :o
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #130 on: 01 August, 2016, 01:35:05 pm »
I just twigged that George Marshall in team 210 is the same George Marshall who finished 5th in the 24hr a week ago.
Quite a handy domestique to have.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #131 on: 01 August, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »

Bloody hell.   I just about returned to walking properly by Saturday afternoon.

Andrew

« Reply #132 on: 01 August, 2016, 05:01:06 pm »
Jesper Sorensen (48) seems to be having fun.... or directional issues.... or both. Anyone any ideas?

« Reply #133 on: 01 August, 2016, 06:58:25 pm »
Jesper Sorensen (48) seems to be having fun.... or directional issues.... or both. Anyone any ideas?

The guess elsewhere is that he swung by CDG to buy flights home, then went touring in Paris (Eiffel Tower) etc.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #134 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:08:11 pm »
I've been watching this on Trackleaders with fascinated interest and I have a question, please, for those who actually do very long rides. How is Kristof doing it? He's way out in front and appears to have had very little sleep or time off the bike in nearly three days. How is he managing it? Obviously some of you know him or know of him and I've discovered he's called "the Machine" which explains a lot, I guess. I'd be grateful for some insight. I'm genuinely curious...

« Reply #135 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:46:50 pm »
He's got a good engine and doesn't need much sleep.

Neither thing is something you can really train or choose to have.

He's just found something that he's naturally good at, and he's done lots of similar things so he's got the experience not to make significant mistakes.

It helps that he seems to have a lot of mental determination too.

« Reply #136 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:47:08 pm »
Before the race he said on Twitter that he'd cycled 25,000 km since the first of Jan this year. So some of it will just be crazy levels of conditioning.

He has also probably done more riding on the routes the TCR covers than most people so I imagine his navigation is usually pretty good and he'll be more relaxed about the route and local challenges. (Food? Water?)

No idea about the rest - personally I need more sleep than that!

« Reply #137 on: 01 August, 2016, 07:56:56 pm »
Ha. I had 58h on a bike since 1st Jan before last weekend's 24.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #138 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:04:52 pm »

Bloody hell.   I just about returned to walking properly by Saturday afternoon.
The 210 team appear right at the end of this (and I think briefly earlier on too): https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mRX3K7lX5x0

It's a good film, but bloody infuriating not getting interviewee's names etc! But I think this is first of many,  presumably they will do polished versions after the dust settles ...

I loved that Mike makes them walk up some steps to the checkin desk - no roadside molly-coddling, or waiting for them out in the cold/rain :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #139 on: 01 August, 2016, 08:55:46 pm »
More links:
Race blog: http://www.transcontinental.cc/blog
Daily videos by Francis Code: https://www.youtube.com/user/franciscccccc?feature=em-subs_digest

There must be an official photographer, but I've not caught that link yet, save for a few portraits on the home page.

After apparently suffering the agonies of the damned Hippy has stopped the night at CP2, being caught by late-starting Ultan. Frank is somewhere midpack, and Emily Chappell is leading the women, in a very unassuming way. I saw her give a talk at a local village hall seemingly years ago, after her first cross-continent trip, she really caught the bug in the meantime!

Tricky bit next, navigating through the alpine passes. Kristof has yet to have a significant stop I think, but he's being tracked by Bjorn, who has had at least, ooh a couple of 2-hour kip stops. Interesting to see the tactic of Neil Phillips, currently 5th, who's had a couple of decent 8-hour stops already but is riding faster through the days.

« Reply #140 on: 01 August, 2016, 10:48:48 pm »
Photog is Camille McMillan

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #141 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:03:18 am »
Francis Cade caught up with Hippy. 3:15 onwards here: https://youtu.be/9gdi0EpmocM?t=195

He seems to be on the move again this morning. Although I'm sure he thought he lost a lot of time when he stopped at Grindelwald, many other riders have also had their first big sleep stop. He's still 14th. Frank has had an overnight stop somewhere in Switzerland, making good progress and 53rd.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #142 on: 02 August, 2016, 08:24:06 am »
Tricky bit next, navigating through the alpine passes. Kristof has yet to have a significant stop I think, but he's being tracked by Bjorn, who has had at least, ooh a couple of 2-hour kip stops. Interesting to see the tactic of Neil Phillips, currently 5th, who's had a couple of decent 8-hour stops already but is riding faster through the days.
IF I'm reading his Speed vs Time graph correctly, Kristof has had 3 decent stops:
Hours 26-31, 51-55 & 76-82 (i.e. early hours of this morning).

All eyeball estimates!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Phil W

« Reply #143 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:05:35 am »
On guy got by a sprinkler system whilst trying to doze!

Lars Jørgen Jensen‎ :  The best TCR "do not sleep to long" place. All set for three hours in the bag. My alarm was on and woke me at 5am. Dozed off and then the automatic watering went on.....I was up in seconds and got my gear out of the war zone. ‪#‎TCRNo4S009

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #144 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:07:48 am »
He-he!

The guy that slept on the Clermont-Ferrand football ground caught my eye too (was that a screenshot that someone posted on FB? I don't have access right now).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Phil W

« Reply #145 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:18:10 am »
He-he!

The guy that slept on the Clermont-Ferrand football ground caught my eye too (was that a screenshot that someone posted on FB? I don't have access right now).

Yes, that was on FB, someone posted an aerial shot showing a TCR tracker position stationary in the middle of the football pitch.

Phil W

« Reply #146 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:23:23 am »
In the latest blog.

Charles Batho (159) must be playing the long game, because despite completing most of the flat without aerobars, he's now getting them fitted for the mountains - hopefully they'll be of benefit to him on the descents!

Phil W

« Reply #147 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:26:06 am »
Look who has moved into second place, closing on the leader

only 50kms away... Björn Lenhard (026) must have had his Weetabix. While most of us today have struggled through our 9-5 jobs, Bjorn has put in an exemplary performance, passing Alexandre Bourgeonnier (002), Carlos Mazon (060), Ultan Coyle (004), Neil Phillips (172) and Nelson Trees (080). No wonder Kristof is still pedalling hard

« Reply #148 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:47:26 am »
I see there's a write up on the Inner Ring
http://inrng.com/2016/08/the-transcontinental/

Phil W

« Reply #149 on: 02 August, 2016, 09:54:19 am »
Darren's Arse is talking to Darren - brilliant

https://twitter.com/DarrensArse/status/760387146075217920