Author Topic: HOW much sugar?  (Read 1810 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
HOW much sugar?
« on: 05 July, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »
I love sweet stuff.
I'm not diabetic and I haven't given up all carbs.
To me, sugar is a precious treat, to be enjoyed in small quantities.
David had a Chocolate Frappé at Pret last night.

SIXTY (60) grams of sugar in one Frappé - more than twice the amount in the Lemon Drizzle CAEK he bought home for me.

There was 56g sugar in a 500ml bottle of mango juice drink I had last week. We were in a new cafe with an unfamiliar menu.

100ml Sainsbury's Vanilla Soft Scoop has 8g sugar.

Drinking sugar seems such a waste!

I don't dispute there's a place for Frijj/Yazoo on an Audax though.

ian

Re: HOW much sugar?
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:28:29 pm »
Liquids are the worst way to consume sugar. It's pretty much direct into the blood stream and it's pure calories without satiety. Eat cake, I say.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »
Liquids are the worst way to consume sugar. It's pretty much direct into the blood stream and it's pure calories without satiety. Eat cake, I say.

I do eat cake
And biscuits
And ice cream
And chocolate

But drinking sugar is (mostly) a waste.

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:43:13 pm »
Has anyone ever tested Graeme Obree's theorette that marzipan is the best power food for cyclists during a ride?

Anyway. Coffee needs a tiny bit of sugar for me, as that changes the whole way how it feels in the mouth for the better. Apart from that, I seem to get most of my carbohydrates from fruit & veg.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »
Marzipan is delicious and filling. As is cake. Sticky drinks are neither, for me. Though I have found orange juice and lemonade very refreshing on a couple of hot rides recently (never quite sure in which parts of the world this is referred to as a Henry, nor why).  Or there's the orange juice and soda variant (but soda is liable to various interpretations).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:40:04 pm »
marzipan, yes

I always used to carry a large bag of fruits and nuts when long distance running, these days I quite like dried banananananas on an audax, but would certiantly not be averse to a bit of marzipan.  I tried liquid carbs for the first time in a long while last week on the bike, played havoc with my blood glucose compared with chewable doses of the same amount of carbs
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:00:27 pm »
It's addictive.
I remember when I stopped eating sugar, then wheat when I adapted myself to what I eat now.
I had very strong cravings for biscuits and could think of nothing else at the time.
Now I am adapted, I can and do have some sugar, but only a small fraction a week (probably even a month) of what I would eat daily before I adapted.
Vegetables now taste better. Fruit tastes sweeter and I don't actually want t eat what I used to. I think I'd be sick if I tried. I still might have a bit of cake once or twice a week (instead of up to several family packs in a day)
Adaption took huge will power. But now I don't need any to stay off sugar. Quite the opposite.

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:29:30 pm »
That's nothing. Stage 19 of the Giro, Froome is claimed to have eaten 1.3kg of carbohydrates.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:50:09 pm »
A long day on the bike for me and I might get up to 200g
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2018, 06:03:54 pm »
I don't want to bust my pancreas!
My pancreas functions very nicely but why should I flog it to death?
I am inactive and love my sweet things in moderation.

Most of the sugar I consume is in foodstuffs prepared by others. I don't think I buy more than two bags of white sugar per year though I bake a few cakes and sweeten fruit compotes with sugar.

I don't know how much sugar I downed when I had an 11,000 mile annual cycling habit. Maybe 150g/day.