Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889560 times)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21950 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:41:08 pm »
Rode across to Leeds from York this afternoon/evening to commissaire the Yorkshire region grasstrack championship at the Roundhay Park grass velodrome. Nice tailwind on the way there, but a recurrence of the weekend's attack of sciatica saw me take up my colleague's offer of a lift home in the firm's van! 39.3km in total!
(Think I might try self amputation, can't be that difficult, can it? )
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21951 on: 04 July, 2018, 05:31:41 pm »
I thought about it, but when I stepped out of the car on getting home at 5pm, thought again.

It'll be a slow week this week.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21952 on: 04 July, 2018, 08:10:37 pm »
I tried, but my gears decided they didn't want to play, and fiddling with the inline cable adjusters while riding along just made things much worse (from "noisy" to "not shifting at all" - I'm in awe of my fettling skills sometimes :facepalm:). I knew I shouldn't have sold the fixie. :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21953 on: 05 July, 2018, 01:06:06 pm »
A round trip of almost 10 miles to Two Tree Island for a dog walk with a 50% reduction in the number of dogs since we last did this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

« Reply #21954 on: 07 July, 2018, 02:01:48 pm »
I was on the road at 06:45 today, made for a pleasant ride at 18-19C rather than 28-29C.  45km in total, nothing special, but more miles in the legs and time on the cruzbike ahead of the upcoming tour. A stiffening breeze on the way home destroyed the average, but I'm in "listen to the legs" mode right now, so that's not important, it was still over 27km/h in any case.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21955 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:38:40 pm »
58.5km ride out with a chum, I've introduced him to the delights of Rough Stuff, and Adventuring. Today we were following the course of the old small gauge railway that went to Allhallows in N. Kent, across tracks and fields and eventually barbed wire. Got a bit lost getting back out again in 32 deg. Then had a " catch up race" with a couple of roadies. Great fun , he's a fit 67 year old type 1 diabetic on an extremely light alloy trek road bike, me on Olive, and YES, we caught them and passed them. Not sure what they thought of my saddlebag and sockless SPD sandels.😁 I think it was a mistake tho, too hot!

« Reply #21956 on: 07 July, 2018, 08:07:46 pm »
Not today but Thursday afternoon I had a little 52 mile Potter into London on the electric chair .near West Drayton I was a ford perfect I rode though Kensington gardens and continued south reaching the Thames at I think Vauxhall bridge .I then followed ncn4 as far as Richmond before heading back to the A4 passed Heathrow and home . I thought I might get wet at one point but the dark clouds stayed south of the river

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yTK4V5Acawo6yjEPA
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

« Reply #21957 on: 07 July, 2018, 08:11:46 pm »
58.5km ride out with a chum, I've introduced him to the delights of Rough Stuff, and Adventuring. Today we were following the course of the old small gauge railway that went to Allhallows in N. Kent, across tracks and fields and eventually barbed wire. Got a bit lost getting back out again in 32 deg. Then had a " catch up race" with a couple of roadies. Great fun , he's a fit 67 year old type 1 diabetic on an extremely light alloy trek road bike, me on Olive, and YES, we caught them and passed them. Not sure what they thought of my saddlebag and sockless SPD sandels.😁 I think it was a mistake tho, too hot!

My grandparents used to live at All Hallows, spent several summers visiting there, always seemed like great summers back then

« Reply #21958 on: 07 July, 2018, 08:40:22 pm »
Yes a DIY 200K in very warm conditions https://ridewithgps.com/users/42936 I hope to run this as my first event as an organiser, just need to find a mentor though.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21959 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:51:29 pm »
Yes.

* 7th day in a row on a bike (around 300km total), first time since last year.
* 1st time on the Moulton since last year.
* 1st Thames Path ride since last year (I usually ride variations of my Thames Path Meander a dozen or so times a year, just for fun).

It all started off pretty well, but a combination of closures without signed diversions, brain-dead peds, and selfish drivers (e.g. senseless close pass, I saluted with two fingers, ended up with him getting out of his car until his passenger shouted at him), has left me in a foul mood.

I love riding bicycles.  I hate 'people'.

I was considering planning a Thames Path Meander for some Saturday in August.  Right now, ICBA.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #21960 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:32:25 pm »
I'm learning, anther early 50-something km this morning, I was out and back at the marketplace for my cup of coffee by 8:45, home just after 9 o'clock

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21961 on: 08 July, 2018, 01:23:26 pm »
Left about 10 yesterday, up through Tytherington, where the road was totally closed by a giant digger. As it was not digging I decided to climb the barriers and walk past it. Won't be able to do that on Monday! Decided to stop for cake at Tortworth as I'd only had a small breakfast (and it's a cycle-friendly cafe with good cake!). On to Cambridge, turn around, back to Berkeley – stop for a sandwich – and down the A38 from Stone as I wanted to get back in time for the bootfall. Couldn't remember which match was at 3, but events reminded me: at 2:30 I was at Aztec West, 2:55 I was riding past the cafes and bars of Gloucester Road, crowds filling the pavement, singing God Save the Queen. Missed maybe quarter of an hour, that's ok.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21962 on: 08 July, 2018, 01:51:45 pm »
(Yesterday) I did Martin’s AAA Milne tour of the Ashdown forest. My first Audax for ages, and in that heat it was a bit close to the edge of my ability. But that’s ok. I got round, in time, met some nice people, the forest was nice and took roads I wouldn’t normally take, so a good day out.

essexian

« Reply #21963 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:47:41 pm »
Is there a club cap for cyclists where nothing happens but they end up very wet? If so, how do I apply as nothing happened to me earlier on this piece of "road" https://goo.gl/maps/jEqZBaMTFPA2  and nothing happened to cause the following....

(click to show/hide)

Video of nothing happening....
(click to show/hide)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21964 on: 14 July, 2018, 06:55:29 pm »
Up to The Crown at Woolhope to meet Mr Bond for beers & sandwiches.  Run off the road by a cockwomble who CBA to slow down near How Caple on the way back.  Left arm run through the hedge, 3 large bramble thorns ripped off in my left hand.  Took two stops to get the claret to cease.  Other than that it was a lovely day.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21965 on: 14 July, 2018, 08:18:30 pm »
Tootled out to Clevedon to meet some friends and eat cake. Made it a bit interesting by deciding to go along Cadbury Camp Lane, a private road (it belongs to a water company) but also a bridleway.

Most of it is a surfaced road but at the end it looks like this:

and sometimes there are steps too:

It takes you underneath the dramatic (but noisy!) elevated section of the M5 near Clapton in Gordano. It also goes, surprise!, past Cadbury Camp, an Iron Age hill fort with dramatic views of the Bristol Channel. I didn't get any photos of that (phone's no good for landscape) but I can tell you the tide was out. And I did quite a lot of pushing on this section.

Got home and as I was taking my shoes off, the Boa fastening system broke.  :( They're only a few months old. They've been very comfy but I did always have doubts about that system.

« Reply #21966 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:34:21 am »
On Friday I covered 102 mile's riding out to Wantage and back to collect a trailer . a nice ride made interested by Google cycle routing which between reading and goring lead me along every bridleway it could find  ::-) . the trailer is for the sun ez3 trike and tows very nicely be hind it . thanks Paul f  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21967 on: 15 July, 2018, 12:16:55 pm »
Not sure about Reading to Goring but there are some lovely and very easily ridable bridleways immediately east of Wantage. The town also has a cafe with a CTC winged wheel, what better excuse to eat cake?

« Reply #21968 on: 15 July, 2018, 03:38:06 pm »
Yeah - there was this wet stuff falling from the sky. I'm not used to it these days. :'(

« Reply #21969 on: 15 July, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
All I need is a nice campsite nearby and I will be back probably with Apollo  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21970 on: 15 July, 2018, 08:09:19 pm »
There's a nice campsite at Uffington almost underneath the White Horse, but maybe that's a bit too far west.

« Reply #21971 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »
Rode out  to the Long Itchington duck pond. Not much duck activity, but a good shady spot for a mini coop picnic.

It was my first time in too many weeks, so great to get km in despite the heat. Is it me or do the roads seems quieter than it usually gets on a sunny day. Is the novelty over for the Wind in the Willows re-enactors (Mr Toad's driving) this summer? Didn't see a single open top car.

« Reply #21972 on: 18 July, 2018, 02:01:05 pm »
A nice ride around Weardale this morning, 33 hilly miles including a couple of miles of comedy off-road.  A two wheel recumbent with small wheels and slick tyres isn't designed for off-road, even when the ground is dry:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143770804@N02/shares/3cpL3T

Back in time to watch the Tour on Eurosport.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21973 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:07:32 am »
Yesterday was Wednesday and yesterday evening was Wednesday evening so that meant a Wednesday Night Pub Ride. Pretty lanes, good company, tasty and inexpensive beer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21974 on: 19 July, 2018, 01:04:47 pm »
First ride in 3 weeks, and 2½ after quad tear. 42 km fairly flat with one respectable climb. Legs fine but fitness out the window after one week of complete rest and one of doing SFA. 22.2 kph average so by & large :).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight