Author Topic: Transcontinental 2017.  (Read 45795 times)

Transcontinental 2017.
« on: 01 November, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »
Details of sign up, this coming Monday.
http://www.transcontinental.cc/blog/2016/10/27/things-that-will-be-different-for-race-no5

Anyone else throwing their helmet in to the ring?

often lost.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Transcontinental 2017.
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2016, 06:55:14 pm »
Mike might regret the timing of this. Just a few days later he will be speaking at the AUK reunion dinner - wonder if he will be bombarded with questions from entry lottery hopefuls?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2016, 11:55:27 pm »
Is anyone planning on doing this

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2016, 01:21:20 am »
I will be trying to get a spot.
Was glued to the official unveiling tonight.
often lost.

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2016, 08:26:08 am »
Controls look interesting. Assuming a few things being ticked off over winter, I'll be entering.

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
I can't do it next year.  It looks like a good route though, I'd love to go to Romania, and it would be good to have a bit less climbing than this year's route.
Marcus J-B is going for it

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2016, 10:23:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that you won't be entering Frank.
 Well kind of...its a real double edged sword as while I have enjoyed following the likes of yourself, Darren and Hippy and would love to meet all y'all out on the course, it does mean there are perhaps more spots up for grabs. I'm obsessed and gagging for a spot!
I hope that you do some interesting and different rides in lieu of TCR and look forward to reading about them if they are blogged/published.
often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2016, 11:05:17 pm »
I lasted about 3 days in the Transcontinental FB group.

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »
Well kind of...its a real double edged sword as while I have enjoyed following the likes of yourself, Darren and Hippy and would love to meet all y'all out on the course, it does mean there are perhaps more spots up for grabs. I'm obsessed and gagging for a spot!
I hope that you do some interesting and different rides in lieu of TCR and look forward to reading about them if they are blogged/published.

I've entered again but because I didn't think it ruined me enough I've entered TABR/TransAm a month beforehand too.

« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2016, 02:01:20 am »

I've entered again but because I didn't think it ruined me enough I've entered TABR/TransAm a month beforehand too.

Yeah I was going to do that as well, and kayak across the Atlantic in-between, but I got a thing on. ;D

Looking forward to watching your blue dot on the Trans Am, Hippy. You have blue balls as well if you make it all the way to Meteora.
often lost.

« Reply #10 on: 15 November, 2016, 09:17:00 am »
Blue balls? I'd be surprised if I haven't channeled a groove from my undercarriage to my rib cage by the time I reach Meteora.

I know MJB has throw his hat in the ring, anyone else having a punt at TCR05?

rob

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:31:50 am »
A couple of people have suggested me having a go.   Oddly they were family members.    I'm pretty sure I don't have it in me to complete anything like this.

I'm riding TTs for another year.

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2016, 02:36:51 am »
application in this evening, fingers crossed.
often lost.

« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »
I only learned of this awesome event this year. I'll be listening out for the podcasts on 'The Bike Show' by Jack Thurston. If anyone enters, let us know your #hashtag particulars so we can follow your progress. HUGE respect to all who enter.

I followed Emily Chappell's feeds this year. She is a good egg.

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2016, 02:10:42 pm »
I only learned of this awesome event this year. I'll be listening out for the podcasts on 'The Bike Show' by Jack Thurston. If anyone enters, let us know your #hashtag particulars so we can follow your progress. HUGE respect to all who enter.

This year the event hashtag was #tcrno4 so following #tcrno5 should get you some results. I got tired of tagging mine with my rider number.

« Reply #15 on: 17 November, 2016, 02:16:02 pm »

This year the event hashtag was #tcrno4 so following #tcrno5 should get you some results. I got tired of tagging mine with my rider number.

Thank you. The account I'm following on Twitter is @transconrace Hopefully that's right.

mhP

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2016, 11:14:15 am »
I had a place last year but had to drop out due to an epididymal cyst on my left nut. All sorted now so put another application in.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2016, 07:46:15 pm »
In case any of you looooos-errrrrs don't get the emails, there is now a non-year-dependent jersey available. It's £95 (!) but quite stylish, and non-racers are encouraged to buy one without guilt:

https://pedaled.com/#!/products/tcr-jersey/grey

(And socks are £20 a pair. Of course.)

p.s. entrants - remember to complete your application doo-dahs by Sunday.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 18 November, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »
Your cookies are clearly set differently to mine - a jersey would cost me £105, but socks only £12.

As for entry, I'm in two minds. Clashes with LEL, and that's both unfinished business and only every four years ...

(ETA - Peculiar. Just gone back to the shopping site, and now the jersey's £95 for me too. Ho hum.)

« Reply #19 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:46:15 pm »
One of those jerseys you can't wear unless you've done it or at least attempted to.

« Reply #20 on: 19 November, 2016, 12:58:58 am »
One of those jerseys you can't wear unless you've done it or at least attempted to.
The product page
Quote from: PedalEd
We wanted it to be a jersey that everyone could wear because it was a nice jersey, regardless of it being a TCR jersey but also it has more subtle meaning for fans of the race and those who support what we do, so they can wear it as a symbol which will mean something extra also.
rather suggests that mattc has the right of it
non-racers are encouraged to buy one without guilt

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 19 November, 2016, 07:34:38 am »
Well, that reasoning will increase sales. I still won't be wearing a world champion's or TdF leader's jersey, though others enjoy doing so.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22 on: 19 November, 2016, 10:43:04 am »
They give you a £10 discount if you have ridden the event!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 19 November, 2016, 03:08:19 pm »
Well, that reasoning will increase sales. I still won't be wearing a world champion's or TdF leader's jersey, though others enjoy doing so.
EDIT: the pro-race winner type jerseys are clearly a very different case. I'm surprised you can't see that.

If £95 was a trivial sum for me, I would happily buy one of these and not give a monkey's about your opinion on the matter. In fact you're making me keener to stump up the cash!

(that's not a personal attack - as I trust you well know - it's an attack on the ridiculous stated opinion.)

Are you suggesting they shouldn't make any money from sales? That could make finding sponsors trickier.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #24 on: 19 November, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
"Earn the right to wear" vs "buy it, wear it" - the second most divisive issue in cycling?
Eddington Number = 132