Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here...  (Read 2258 times)

Hi, I'm new here...
« on: 26 March, 2017, 02:55:14 pm »
To the dark side, that is.

I just bought a rather excellent Bachetta from the rather Excellent RichForrest OTP. I've done around 300 km on it and am loving it.

I need some advice on position/set up. As I've got used to it, I've dropped the bars and the seat back a bit. How far should I go? Will it be better the more horizontal I get? Is the rule of thumb about having leg fully extended with heel on pedal the same for a recumbent? Any other tips and tricks are welcome!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: Hi, I'm new here...
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2017, 06:23:32 pm »
Hi,

Welcome to the world of recumbents. If you've already managed 300k you'll be getting a feel for the differences between the laid back position and the upright world.  Common opinion is that it may take 500 miles to really get used to the new dynamics.

I found that I needed a little more knee bend than on a DF bike.  That may be because your legs work harder because you can't use body weight to get you up hills.  What we call 'bent legs' can take quite a while to develop - some say it's because we use the leg muscle groups differently to when riding a DF bike.  What you will have noticed already though is a lack of aches and pains in hands, wrists, arms and shoulders, and inevitably the backside too!

The degree of recline you can use generally increases with miles.  Beginners tend to find that they need to be more upright, but as you gain experience you can recline more.

There are a few recumbent riders on here and there's plenty of help and advice to be had.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2017, 06:37:45 pm »
I second all the above.  You'll probably be happier with a more reclined seat as you get more experience.  Ultimately seat angle is a trade-off of aerodynamics vs low-speed (including zero-speed) control of the bike, with neck discomfort becoming a factor at the more severely reclined angles that can be achieved on racing cycles.  Sitting up out of the seat in order to get a foot down is a legitimate tactic (if there aren't handlebars in the way).

Seat angle will affect leg extension, unless the seat angle adjustment is designed to pivot around your hip joint (most aren't).

Suck it and see with leg extension.  The key thing is to set it for the position that you eventually settle into in the seat after half an hour or so of riding, rather than the position you think you're going to be sitting in when you first get on the bike.  I'm not sure about knee bend, but I find I use my ankles more in the recumbent position.

Handlebar adjustment is simple ergonomics (with minor aero gains to be made by keeping elbows tucked in).  They're not bearing weight, so the only thing that's critical is that they aren't obstructed by any knees/hips/boobs/tummies that have changed position during the above adjustments.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »
Glad you are getting out on the bike and the grin is getting bigger  ;D ;D :thumbsup:
The recurve seat will only go back so far as too much tilt will bring the front of the seat up and it will hit against your hamstrings as you pedal.
Trial and error on all the adjustments, tilt the seat back and you have to move the seat a forward a bit.
You will find the sweet spot at some point. I've not ridden my Giro for a while and the seat feels to close compared to the ICE.
I'm not moving it though as it's been in that position for a few yrs.

Rich

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2017, 02:31:39 pm »
I'm not that far ahead of you, coming up to 1200km with half of that on 3 x 200km Audax. I put my seat on its lowest angle within a week. I've read you'll develop the same power at whatever seat angle you go for, after a period of adaption. More uptight feels more powerful to start as you can recruit more of the muscles used cycling on an upright. So the old recumbent leg muscle development. Personally I just have it setup for whatever feels most natural so I can just relax into the seat and let the bike roll. I have my bars roughly level with the stomach. I'm getting (average speed) faster month on month, which will be the legs adapting..

« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »
Thanks, that's all really helpful!

- some say it's because we use the leg muscle groups differently to when riding a DF bike.  What you will have noticed already though is a lack of aches and pains in hands, wrists, arms and shoulders, and inevitably the backside too!

And the new aches and pains in the legs from using different muscle groups! I was having trouble walking on Friday... but today it's all coming together. Still getting pins and needles in my feet though.

Seat angle will affect leg extension, unless the seat angle adjustment is designed to pivot around your hip joint (most aren't).

This is the case, and it's complicated by having to remove the pannier rack to be able to work the quick release on the seat fore-and-aft adjuster.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

LMT

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:24:46 pm »
Good job with the purchase, as a general rule of thumb I found that the heel on the pedal will give you a good estimate with your set up, some people like more knee bend, others don't. If you find yourself slipping down the seat to push the pedals then it maybe that your boom is too far out, and if you start to get pain in the front of your knee then this is usually a result of the boom being too far in.

'Bent legs' is really just getting used to spinning a low gear when it comes to climbing hills, putting the load more on your CV system rather then using the different muscle groups that you could do on a DF.

IME I found that the ideal angle when it comes to the seat is between 23-28 degrees, simple to measure, just a get a metre long bit of wood, put it flush against the back of the seat and use an angle app on your phone.

Enjoy your new ride.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:33:05 am »
You will develop a lovely arse, as your glutes build. Plus at some point you will have the wonder of finishing a day riding, getting off the bike and feeling your back all realigned - product of hours of gentle massage. Unbeatable.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2017, 02:27:33 pm »
You will develop a lovely arse, as your glutes build. Plus at some point you will have the wonder of finishing a day riding, getting off the bike and feeling your back all realigned - product of hours of gentle massage. Unbeatable.

And then you notice the tanlines...