Author Topic: Women's world cup  (Read 1900 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Women's world cup
« on: 23 August, 2017, 06:33:18 pm »
I managed to time my meal break at work last night so that I could watch the last hour of the match. It was superb, and the after-hours try that finished it was a classic of predation. Well done England women's rugby, beating France and getting to the final. Two top-drawer tries, and a pukka try-saving tackle that would grace any game.

I then read the comments on the BBC sports news. Sexism never really leaves the building, does it?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Re: Women's world cup
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
After the England womens football team beat Russia 6-0 (in a world cup qualifer) and the players all gave their backing to the manager (who was cleared of the accusations against him) he is reported to have resigned.

For me, it seems that perhaps the conclusion of the hearings against him were a bit premature.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:28:48 pm »
What I heard was that his leaving office related to other complaints about him that predated the complaints that he was exonerated over.
It is simpler than it looks.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »
Sacked, according to the BBC.  And had his contract paid up in full.  And an FA statement that he "is absolutely clear to work as a coach in football".

So it's hard to know what to make of that, given that he was on a remarkable run of success with the team.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll