Author Topic: Mille Cymru 2018  (Read 56908 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Mille Cymru 2018
« Reply #200 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:41:17 am »
I will be based at the Llanwrtyd control and I am aiming to bring down my wheel building stand and tools. I will have a wide range of J bend spokes of all lengths (well, all sensible lengths) as well as a range of nipples, washers and whatnot... I was thinking to bring down a cordless drill for the most extreme repairs
Hopefully they won't be needed, but I'll be happy to help if needs be.

There will be other tools for more conventional jobs too

It will be a great adventure out there for you lot...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #201 on: 18 July, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »
I'll also be helping at Llanwrtyd, plus Upton Magna too.

I had hoped to ride this edition but will be pleased to help and experience it from a different perspective. The two previous editions were really special. It will be a great adventure indeed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #202 on: 18 July, 2018, 06:56:45 pm »
Likewise there will be basic maintenance supplies at the Tintern control including a workstand and tools, trackpump etc.  My workshop is a short distance from the control and can sort pretty much anything this side of welding.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #203 on: 18 July, 2018, 07:06:12 pm »
Thanks all, sounds great. Really looking forward to it.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #204 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:03:37 pm »
There seems to be something up with the files on the AUK website. Possibly a wider problem as I also couldn't upload a DIY today.

But I can't download the RS or GPX - does anyone have a copy they could share?

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #205 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:25:41 pm »
Seems OK to me, just downloaded the route sheet. Send me an email and I'll send you a copy by return.

Route sheet updated following the route check, spent yesterday evening splitting the GPS track into separate files and formatting - one set for newer devices with the route split into 3 @ Llanwrtyd, and one set for older devices with a 500point limit split into separate tracks for each leg. All on the website to download. For .TCX and .FIT go to RWGPS. Final update emails sent out to all riders (103 at latest count) so check your spam filters if nowt arrives.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #206 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:38:52 pm »
Thanks anyway but I just tried again from my phone and it works!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #207 on: 21 July, 2018, 07:47:06 pm »
<snip> all riders (103 at latest count) so check your spam filters if nowt arrives.
All very quiet in this thread! ...I have a theory that pre-ride forum chat is inversely proportional to the anxiety of the field about the challenge ahead... anyway, just reading through the excellent event info and email (thanks John) and was wondering if the 24hour garage at Betws y coed knows we're coming? As I'll be one of the last to get there I wouldn't want to embarrass myself by sinking into a corner sobbing if it looks like a plague of locusts had been through when I arrive  :facepalm:. I'm happy to call them, but don't want to annoy them if they already know.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #208 on: 21 July, 2018, 08:19:59 pm »
Shame you're using the Llandysul by pass.  You'll miss my house by about 1/2 mile.  Thought about walking up to point and laugh wave and  encourage, but can't work the timing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #209 on: 21 July, 2018, 08:32:06 pm »
I'll be there
with the Tea Kit
can't say where
COZ IT'S SECRIT 8)

« Reply #210 on: 21 July, 2018, 08:51:26 pm »
Shame you're using the Llandysul by pass.  You'll miss my house by about 1/2 mile.  Thought about walking up to point and laugh wave and  encourage, but can't work the timing.
I had spotted the petrol station and shop in Llandysul so might make a small diversion to get supplies as it is a long stage on Friday morning.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LFCC

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #211 on: 21 July, 2018, 09:29:05 pm »
I believe that there is a nasty coffee machine in the petrol station (I'll check).  CK's (not very) supermarket next door good for instant carbs.

« Reply #212 on: 21 July, 2018, 10:15:51 pm »

Hopefully midmorning Friday.

« Reply #213 on: 21 July, 2018, 10:19:57 pm »
I'll be there
with the Tea Kit
can't say where
COZ IT'S SECRIT 8)

John Donne, again?

« Reply #214 on: 21 July, 2018, 10:32:32 pm »
I'll be there
with the Tea Kit
can't say where
COZ IT'S SECRIT 8)

John Donne, again?

Busy olde fool, unruly Sunne, why dost though thus
Through treetops and through Valleys call on us?
Fuck off somewhere else cos I don't want it too hot.

« Reply #215 on: 21 July, 2018, 10:44:26 pm »
Rolf Harris donne it, too.

« Reply #216 on: 21 July, 2018, 10:48:21 pm »
You helping, Pete? Don't bring your didgeridoo.

« Reply #217 on: 21 July, 2018, 11:13:01 pm »
Frayed Knot (I have to get with child a mandrake root on the Saturday).  Envious, though!

« Reply #218 on: 22 July, 2018, 09:19:19 am »
Damon, Ed, Tim, Alwyn and I will be staffing the Saturday night control at Lake Vyrnwy. There will be plenty of space to kip, and plenty of hot food.

As well as my usual corned beef hash and bean soup, I'll probably do a (vegan) lentil shepherds pie. My freezer is full of cake and next Friday I'll be making lots of bread for sandwiches and toast.

We won't make the mistake we did last time of giving the early riders the best beds. We'll save those for the poor souls at the back, who only seem to get a couple of hours kip (if that) on the last night.

« Reply #219 on: 22 July, 2018, 10:02:06 am »
One piece of heartening news - there will be a bar at the Tintern control so you'll be able to get a pint if you want to fire you across to Brecon!

« Reply #220 on: 22 July, 2018, 12:02:59 pm »
One piece of heartening news - there will be a bar at the Tintern control so you'll be able to get a pint if you want to fire you across to Brecon!
Just sat down to do some prep for the ride. Pot belge might be more to my needs.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #221 on: 22 July, 2018, 12:37:10 pm »
...was wondering if the 24hour garage at Betws y coed knows we're coming? As I'll be one of the last to get there I wouldn't want to embarrass myself by sinking into a corner sobbing if it looks like a plague of locusts had been through when I arrive  :facepalm:. I'm happy to call them, but don't want to annoy them if they already know.

Well, I haven't arranged anything with them.

Spent yesterday printing and labelling up the brevet cards and tags for the drop bags, planning our menu for Llanwrtyd, and confirming the arrangements with the first control at Bwlch y Sarnau - the community run Glyndwr's Way cafe are opening up specially for us, and a sandwich/cake/banana/drink meal deal is included in your entry fee.

All in we've got staffed controls with food included everywhere except for 3 on the second day and Llanberis (where Pete's Eats are primed for your arrival).

Weather forecast is looking pretty good atm - less hot (~20C) than it was looking a few days ago which is good. As I can attest from the route check the Welsh weather doesn't pay much attention to the forecast though.

« Reply #222 on: 22 July, 2018, 12:43:10 pm »
After nearly dying of death on the Snow Roads due to the heat, for the first time in my cycling career I bought electrolyte/Nuun tablets yesterday.

I think that guarantees it to piss it down for the entire duration.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #223 on: 22 July, 2018, 02:21:01 pm »
I believe that there is a nasty coffee machine in the petrol station (I'll check).  CK's (not very) supermarket next door good for instant carbs.

There is a coffee machine and an ATM

« Reply #224 on: 23 July, 2018, 01:14:19 am »
Even though I said never again at the end of MC2, I (almost) wish I’d entered this now. Missing a big goal for this year! Enjoy!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!