Author Topic: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire  (Read 25761 times)

Re: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« Reply #75 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:52:32 pm »
Even on your Pinarello, you'll still be welcome, but this is not recommended, and I'll probably point and laugh.

Speaking of which, I doubt he's bought another bike since.

« Reply #76 on: 12 March, 2018, 06:54:05 pm »
I now own a suitable bike to do the 100 km ride so looking forward to do the ride.
I have only clocked 200 miles all year so need to get some serious miles in the legs and lose a bit of weight!
The bike has Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres on it.  Are these ok or should I change them for some Scwalbe G ones?

Should be fine, but I'd want more tread than you get on Voyagers. But don't use me as your excuse for buying some new kit ;D

« Reply #77 on: 05 April, 2018, 11:56:32 am »
For real life reasons I have to do this in a day and without the car, so I've booked some orange cardboard. The good news is it's cheaper than any other method and the day doesn't end up being stupidly long, back in Manc at 2130, as long as you don't count having to be at Piccadilly at 0530 as stupid. The bad news is I've just raised the minimum speed a tad. I'll be in NTR at 0730 if anyone knows anywhere that does good coffee  :demon:

Deano - I'm assuming I can dump a pannier at HQ?

« Reply #78 on: 05 April, 2018, 12:32:33 pm »
For real life reasons I have to do this in a day and without the car, so I've booked some orange cardboard. The good news is it's cheaper than any other method and the day doesn't end up being stupidly long, back in Manc at 2130, as long as you don't count having to be at Piccadilly at 0530 as stupid. The bad news is I've just raised the minimum speed a tad. I'll be in NTR at 0730 if anyone knows anywhere that does good coffee  :demon:

Dammit, now you've inspired me to look at logistics again! :-X

There are no trains from my part of the world early enough in the morning, but I suppose I *could* camp and get a train back from NTR at 18.58. Not enough time for the long route, but the shorter one may be do-able...and I do have that 11-40 cassette kicking about waiting to be tested...

« Reply #79 on: 05 April, 2018, 01:30:35 pm »

Aye, no problem. There should be folk around all day but we'll be locking the barn.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #80 on: 05 April, 2018, 05:17:09 pm »
Si, I will be up at that time, THoFC serves really good coffee and is only a short distance from the station! When I get home I will pm you the address.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #81 on: 06 April, 2018, 04:15:52 am »
Deano,  tiermat - you're both gentlemen of the highest order.

Phanta - you know you want to. I'm not quite on that timescale but not far off.

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #82 on: 06 April, 2018, 10:50:42 am »
I'm entered for Moor Gravel Forever, riding my Trek Domane with 32c road tyres. Looking forward to it as I need to get some experience of riding offroad before my ride in the summer which has mandatory COR sections.

« Reply #83 on: 11 April, 2018, 08:10:51 pm »
New to the forum, but I've entered the MGFE event, and had a look through the other posts (and last years photos) earlier, now I can't wait!

« Reply #84 on: 11 April, 2018, 08:13:54 pm »
New to the forum, but I've entered the MGFE event, and had a look through the other posts (and last years photos) earlier, now I can't wait!

Welcome to the asylum

« Reply #85 on: 11 April, 2018, 08:15:28 pm »
 :)
It looks like a good forum, slightly different to the incessant bickering where I usually lurk.

« Reply #86 on: 11 April, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »
Anyone fancy bringing a tandem?

What's Floyd Landis doing that weekend?

(From The Radiavist here)

Is this the right time to say that there will be a tandem on the 100 km? Well, according to local scuttlebutt anyway, and both the riders have entered. Come along and gape :D

« Reply #87 on: 11 April, 2018, 10:59:13 pm »

Excellent. I'm hoping to ride the 100-miler again a week before the event, just to check all the hills are still there.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #88 on: 13 April, 2018, 08:35:33 am »
I'm torn between which one to enter... too much choice! (thought might be MGFE at this rate)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #89 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:51:28 am »
Hmm, just spotted the date for this is approaching - am I right in assuming an unpopulaire will remain not-full for those of us undecided until a week before?  Just spotted closing date is 21st.

Haven't tried to book this in with the family yet, but would anybody else be interested in a lift up (or share) from Cambridge area?  Probably setting off stupid-early Saturday morning, and lying in a tent to recover on Sunday morning?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #90 on: 18 April, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »
MGF entered  :thumbsup:

« Reply #91 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »

:thumbsup:

I thought you were TT-ing that weekend!

Hope you're camping after too. My spare tent's at Phil's, so you won't need to cart one up...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #92 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:36:22 pm »

:thumbsup:

I thought you were TT-ing that weekend!

Hope you're camping after too. My spare tent's at Phil's, so you won't need to cart one up...

I was, but then I realised that if I was going to stick AUK stickers on my touring bike before hawking it around the world, I should probably do at least one audax before I leave.

« Reply #93 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »
Hmm, just spotted the date for this is approaching - am I right in assuming an unpopulaire will remain not-full for those of us undecided until a week before?  Just spotted closing date is 21st.

Haven't tried to book this in with the family yet, but would anybody else be interested in a lift up (or share) from Cambridge area?  Probably setting off stupid-early Saturday morning, and lying in a tent to recover on Sunday morning?

I've changed the closing date - it should be open to entries until the night before, as with both the other rides. No entries on the line, and if you do enter late and don't do your research, don't blame me if you get et by wolves up on t'Moors.

Chris S

« Reply #94 on: 18 April, 2018, 09:37:27 pm »
I'm torn between which one to enter... too much choice! (thought might be MGFE at this rate)

Dunno what your plans are jibs, but I assume you'll be up hereabouts? Fboab and I will be heading out from home in the Van, to Newby in time for the 100. Happy to pick up from a convenient point if that would help?

ETA: If you want a lift back, bring your knitting - we'll be bumping the time limit on this one.
ETA2: In fact, you'll probably have time for the 150 :)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #95 on: 19 April, 2018, 01:29:22 am »

Dunno what your plans are jibs, but I assume you'll be up hereabouts? Fboab and I will be heading out from home in the Van, to Newby in time for the 100. Happy to pick up from a convenient point if that would help?

ETA: If you want a lift back, bring your knitting - we'll be bumping the time limit on this one.
ETA2: In fact, you'll probably have time for the 150 :)

haha Thanks Chris, I am not sure fully on plans yet, possibly up with Andrew in tow so will need to check plans... either way, see you shortly! :)  :thumbsup: (oppps still need to enter!)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #96 on: 19 April, 2018, 10:01:31 am »
I've changed the closing date - it should be open to entries until the night before, as with both the other rides. No entries on the line, and if you do enter late and don't do your research, don't blame me if you get et by wolves up on t'Moors.

Entry in already.  Those wolves need a snack, limited habitat nowadays.

« Reply #97 on: 19 April, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »

Dammit, now you've inspired me to look at logistics again! :-X

There are no trains from my part of the world early enough in the morning, but I suppose I *could* camp and get a train back from NTR at 18.58. Not enough time for the long route, but the shorter one may be do-able...and I do have that 11-40 cassette kicking about waiting to be tested...
I'm (currently) working on the Sunday so this is the current plan for me. No 11-40 for me though; the off road capable road bike is currently out of action so I might be riding it fixed  :sick:

Currently.

Currently.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #98 on: 19 April, 2018, 02:44:40 pm »
Phanta and Dale, I can offer a spare bedroom in York (and a sofa for the other of you) if you want to stay Friday night before heading up on an early train?  I'm ten minutes from the station and we'd need to get the 0635 or similar.

« Reply #99 on: 19 April, 2018, 03:12:40 pm »
You can camp at the farm beforehand as well. I may not have made that clear enough.