Author Topic: To Long Itch and beyond - 2018!  (Read 7478 times)

To Long Itch and beyond - 2018!
« on: 06 November, 2017, 05:00:46 pm »
Don't ask me why I do this because I really don't know but it's been playing on my mind for a while now.   Also, that GIT Sojournermike posted A Grand Day Out which set me thinking even more.

On top of this I really do expect 2018 to be my soloist swansong and would like to get a few miles in before hanging up my spd's and letting down my tyres!

I'm offering a comprehensive programme of three, yes three cycle camping weekends in 2018.   

Friday 11th to Sunday 13th May:   Long Itchington.

This weekend falls a month or so after YACF celebrates ten years in existence I believe.   Further, that Velomancer Torslanda has been pedaling his alternative path for five years now, and, as I said above, Sojournermike is clearly looking for A Grand Day Out.

My plan is to have a 60 miler on the Saturday covering many of those wonderful country lanes in the film and, if all goes to plan, a very special lunch stop in Naseby.   I'm not asking for a skillshare, just a mammoth gathering to celebrate 10 years of YACF, 5 years of Velomancering and a really good bike ride.   If anybody wants to do a skillshare though, please let me know. 

Friday July 6th to Sunday July 8th and Friday 7th September to Sunday 9th September:

A weekend in Wing, Rutland and a weekend in Silverdale, Lancashire.   I'm erring on the Silverdale weekend in September after the summer rush and hopefully in grand late summer weather.   Both weekends will be free format so bring a bike and ride if you want to.   

I will need early notice of the Silverdale weekend in particular and if we have enough takers we might be able to get the separate groups field.   

So, bung down your thoughts and I'll drop by on a regular basis to see what interest there is.       

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: To Long Itch and beyond - 2018!
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2017, 05:35:40 pm »
Sounds good.  May I suggest that the Grand Day Out ride might benefit from a route that incorporates railway station(s) in a way that would be compatible with day riders who are allergic to camping?  Would be nice to get some forumites up from That London and environs...

The July weekend appears to clash with an ALC meet in Yorkshire, but I don't think that's set in stone yet.

« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2017, 08:10:00 am »
If you give me a route to follow I would be happy to lead a slow ride over a shorter distance for anyone wishing to potter  :) . Also always happy to potter up to Rutland . Apollo should be able to come to both events. I am interested in coming to silverdale   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:57:55 am »
Sounds good.  May I suggest that the Grand Day Out ride might benefit from a route that incorporates railway station(s) in a way that would be compatible with day riders who are allergic to camping?  Would be nice to get some forumites up from That London and environs...

The July weekend appears to clash with an ALC meet in Yorkshire, but I don't think that's set in stone yet.

It's a difficult strategic one given that the ride out to Naseby will be over 50 and probably nearer to sixty miles.   We can pick folk up in Rugby if they fancy a 30 miler with the lunch, or of course they could carry on and join in the camping fun for Saturday night.   I may turn up a volunteer by then to take day riders back to Rugby in the evening.

Leamington Station is a bit off route but again, we could perhaps get a volunteer to meet people and bring them to a pre-arranged meeting place.   

Lots of logistics but all depends upon enthusiasm and numbers.   

Every weekend is a clash with something unfortunately. :(   We could move the July weekend a week or two either way though I do want to avoid the summer holidays. 

essexian

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2017, 12:05:46 pm »
I am up for the grand day out: its not FA Cup final day (I've seen everyone since 1970 so its not time to miss one yet) but don't do camping so I would be a day visitor only.

I was wondering whether, given that its a bit of a celebration, we could get someone to film it? I would be happy to put something towards his costs should this be necessary..... then in sixty years time, cyclists could view the film and wonder why we didn't have anti gravity bikes and marvel at the fact that cars were still allowed on roads without a robot walking in front with a red flag.... ;D

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2017, 05:56:05 pm »
FA Cup final is 19th May so you'll be free to join us.

As for filming:  I'm not going to be able to arrange nor afford such a venture but volunteer film makers will be welcome.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2017, 01:43:53 am »

Not booked yet but still trying.

There's also an early June camp weekend (8th - 10th) at Watlington open to all for my 50th  8)

Rich

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »
Bum, already committed on 12th May. July is unlikely so I'll try for Silverdale - which is lovely and I could catch up with my sister in Lancaster.

Don't ask me why I do this because I really don't know but it's been playing on my mind for a while now.   Also, that GIT Sojournermike posted A Grand Day Out which set me thinking even more.

On top of this I really do expect 2018 to be my soloist swansong and would like to get a few miles in before hanging up my spd's and letting down my tyres!

I'm offering a comprehensive programme of three, yes three cycle camping weekends in 2018.   

Friday 11th to Sunday 13th May:   Long Itchington.

This weekend falls a month or so after YACF celebrates ten years in existence I believe.   Further, that Velomancer Torslanda has been pedaling his alternative path for five years now, and, as I said above, Sojournermike is clearly looking for A Grand Day Out.

My plan is to have a 60 miler on the Saturday covering many of those wonderful country lanes in the film and, if all goes to plan, a very special lunch stop in Naseby.   I'm not asking for a skillshare, just a mammoth gathering to celebrate 10 years of YACF, 5 years of Velomancering and a really good bike ride.   If anybody wants to do a skillshare though, please let me know. 

Friday July 6th to Sunday July 8th and Friday 7th September to Sunday 9th September:

A weekend in Wing, Rutland and a weekend in Silverdale, Lancashire.   I'm erring on the Silverdale weekend in September after the summer rush and hopefully in grand late summer weather.   Both weekends will be free format so bring a bike and ride if you want to.   

I will need early notice of the Silverdale weekend in particular and if we have enough takers we might be able to get the separate groups field.   

So, bung down your thoughts and I'll drop by on a regular basis to see what interest there is.       

Reine de la Fauche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
Muppfritt
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
Will you bring the rum or shall I?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »
Given it's a 2 night expedition I'd suggest a bottle each . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2017, 09:46:35 pm »
No problem.  :thumbsup:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2017, 10:46:33 pm »
I'm interested in some or more of this.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2017, 01:37:17 pm »
Long itch' and Silverdale are almost certain for me. Not sure about Wing Hall yet. Mark I and I as a "Maybe".
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #14 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:12:51 pm »
With regards to skills share, I am happy to teach a taster session in Nordic walking.
Kim's comment on rail station access, we could all camp at the marina just outside that Rugby and do a Naseby round from there......

« Reply #15 on: 02 December, 2017, 11:15:19 am »
Hmm, that's interesting Mr. Loadsabikes.  Where exactly is the marina located please for recce purposes?  There are a few round here now.

If you are going to be there this week perhaps I could drop by.

« Reply #16 on: 15 December, 2017, 03:47:19 pm »
So, we have a date for the royal shindig - Saturday 19th May.   Who would like a 'Not the Royal Wedding over that weekend then?   The usual plans would have been the previous weekend but we are flexible.

Comments below please.

Paging Loadsabikes re marina details please. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »
The ALC AGM is the weekend of the 19th, in Oxfordshire.  Given the high YACF content of the committee, I'd suggest that avoiding a clash with that would be conducive to more forumites turning up at Long Itch.

« Reply #18 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »
Hmmm.   No NtRW weekend meet then.

Bloody lightweights...   ;)

« Reply #19 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:12:31 am »
I've got the fortnight before the 19th booked as leave already.  I think I'll probably be getting a ferry back from France on that day.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #20 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:39:51 am »
That's a bummer Andrew.  Long Itch is all the better with regulars such as yourself.

Given the ALC meet will folk be up for the previous weekend or are there still plenty of folk who would still a NtRW weekend?   

« Reply #21 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:52:46 am »
Yes, and I've not seen most of you since the Rutland weekend in July  :(    Must try & kickstart my cycling mojo for the new year. 

I've got vague plans for the May trip of getting the ferry to Le Havre, following the Seine up to Giverny for a wander around Monet's garden, then going down to Chartres before heading back to the coast.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #22 on: 17 December, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
The trip sounds good.  Hopefully you'll make it to Wing in July.   :thumbsup:   

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #23 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:26:41 pm »
I'm, hopefully, okay with either weekend. Be better if we could get the biggest attendance, but not sure how many ALC'ers would want two trips 5 days apart.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:47:36 pm »
I'm, hopefully, okay with either weekend. Be better if we could get the biggest attendance, but not sure how many ALC'ers would want two trips 5 days apart.

My general experience of ALCers is that the one thing they like more than an excuse to go camping is ...another excuse to go camping.   :thumbsup:

In the absence of other commitments, I'll probably turn up to both.