Author Topic: Raspberry Pi strangeness  (Read 1054 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Raspberry Pi strangeness
« on: 07 November, 2017, 09:27:54 pm »
I've recently moved house, which meant I had to unplug all my comptutery stuff, including my Raspberry Pi on which I run osmc.

Having go the wifi working again and telling it which IP address to use on the new network, i find I can't play any of the films, TV programmes or music saved to the external hard drive. I can play them by drilling down into the osmc file manager and selecting them that way. When I try to play a file using the Movies, TV or Music buttons I get a message saying the file is not found and do I want to remove it from the library. I connected by ssh and had a look at the file structure, to find this:
Code: [Select]
osmc@osmc:/media$ ls
Expansion_Drive  Expansion_Drive_  README
The files I'm looking for normally reside on Expansion_Drive which mounts on /media. In the listing shown above "Expansion_Drive" was shown in blue, while "Expansion_Drive_" is green
osmc@osmc:/media$ cd Expansion_Drive
-bash: cd: Expansion_Drive: Permission denied
osmc@osmc:/media$ cd Expansion_Drive_
osmc@osmc:/media/Expansion_Drive_$ ls
Autorun.inf             MP3s          Seagate                          TV Shows
BackupPlusDeskIcon.ico  Music         Seagate Dashboard Installer.dmg  Video
Movies                  $RECYCLE.BIN  Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe

So it seems that all my files are now in a new directory "Expansion_Drive_" with a trailing underscore.
How did that get created? How can I fix it?  When I plug the external drive into another machine, it only shows "Expansion_Drive" mounted.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Raspberry Pi strangeness
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2017, 10:36:18 pm »
Pondering the problem while doing the ironing, I realised if used a spot of sudo rmdir in the right place, that would get rid of the offending (phantom?) directory, after first disconnecting the external drive. Boom. Phear mi l33t haxxor skillz.

(presumably the phantom directory was there following an unclean shut down)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)