Author Topic: Building up a work light  (Read 1375 times)

Building up a work light
« on: 23 November, 2017, 11:15:34 am »
Following stuff in this thread I got one of these, with the intention of making up a work/reading light for use travelling (you know how crappy light is in most rental apartments). The light itself has arrived, looks to be good quality and is currently on test on a powerbank, to see what duration is achieved. The 3,000 lumen seems to be a good option for the purpose, throwing out a bright light with a fairly focussed extra bright spot about 20-30 cm diameter positioned close by. (Mrs Ham is into sewing which would be much helped by this light)

Anyhow, I now need to work up a stand which needs to be folding and lightweight. I've got in mind something like a pyramid with a bar for the light to fix between two of the sides, made out of nylon rod. Given the strength of the light beam it doesn't need to be anglepois-y. Probably needs to be 30 - 45 cm high. Not sure how to achieve the folding,  or anything yet. Anyone like to contemplate the conundrum ?

Re: Building up a work light
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2017, 11:57:50 am »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2017, 12:11:24 pm »
Stick it on your shoulder like an oldfashioned telephone rest.

Or...

Light hung between two rods joined in an inverted V. Drill holes near the foot ends, and tie to another rod that stands in front, rises through the triangle, and is tied to the top of the V from behind.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »

Light hung between two rods joined in an inverted V. Drill holes near the foot ends, and tie to another rod that stands in front, rises through the triangle, and is tied to the top of the V from behind.

That's in the vein of the sort of thing I'm thinking of doing, Tripod might be easier than a four point footing.

And on full power I got 3.5 hours from a 5000mAh battery, at which point it died to deth without fading. Reached about 50C and plateaued.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »
Bodge a standard tripod mount on it and use a standard photographic mini-tripod?

Gooseneck and a heavy base (battery)?

« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2017, 03:15:36 pm »
Bodge a standard tripod mount on it and use a standard photographic mini-tripod?

Gooseneck and a heavy base (battery)?

Going for a light light.......