Author Topic: Catering - Simple food for all  (Read 7764 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Catering - Simple food for all
« Reply #50 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:11:58 am »
One person's "that's skanky not food" about white bread...

One man's meat: years ago I read a letter somewhere from English folk who had spent a holiday in Brittany. It went something like "we couldn't eat the local bread, but fortunately we had several large loaves of Mother's Pride with us, and they lasted through the three weeks. The last slice was just as good as the first."
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 05 December, 2017, 10:22:33 am »
Beans on Toast is a complete protein (as well as containing lots of complex carbs and tasting yummy!). I don't know of any other common vegan-compatible simple meal that does this (and I think it's allergen free? Apart from the gluten problem ...

So clearly B-on-T is the bestest  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #52 on: 05 December, 2017, 12:22:17 pm »
Beans on Toast is a complete protein (as well as containing lots of complex carbs and tasting yummy!). I don't know of any other common vegan-compatible simple meal that does this (and I think it's allergen free? Apart from the gluten problem ...

With cheese...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 05 December, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »

Definitely, when you're in a wheelchair and your nose is at hip level in a crowd...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #54 on: 05 December, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »

Definitely, when you're in a wheelchair and your nose is at hip level in a crowd...

Beans & farts is a myth... sugar & farts is a reality for cyclists... I could stick a flute up my bum and play Mozart when I sucked gels... not that I tried of course...  ::-)

« Reply #55 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »
always grateful for food...end of :smug:

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #56 on: 09 December, 2017, 12:22:24 pm »
I can't stand rice pudding. I have never been offered it socially, and I can't remember anyone choosing to eat it in a cafe/restuarant.

How else do you know when you have reached half-way on the Bryan Chapman?

If I'm eating cold rice pudding, with a slice of tinned peach floating in it, then I must be in Menai (either that or I've fallen through a worm-hole back to lunchtime at my Primary school circa 1969)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #57 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:47:41 pm »
The danger with big pans of stew, is that it catches on the bottom. It stretches the limits of politeness to eat your way through a bowlful of burnt-tasting gloop.

I was taught a trick at LEL this year.  If the food at the bottom of a big pan is starting to stick (not yet burnt), take it off the heat for about 5 minutes and then stir.  Not quite sure how it works, but it definitely does, and have used a few times in home cooking since.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #58 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:10:12 pm »
Really simple... Like similar to 'soaking' your pot after burning food during cooking. Tasing it off 'for five minutes; or so, the mass ingredients of the pot simply provides moisture and absorbs the dry areas on the bottom. Perhaps not rocket science, but my theory anyway...  ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #59 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:11:08 am »
Really simple... Like similar to 'soaking' your pot after burning food during cooking. Tasing it off 'for five minutes; or so, the mass ingredients of the pot simply provides moisture and absorbs the dry areas on the bottom. Perhaps not rocket science, but my theory anyway...  ;D

Yes, that's exactly how it works