Author Topic: Notched gouged Freehub / Driveshell  (Read 1572 times)

Notched gouged Freehub / Driveshell
« on: 17 December, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
I have Chris King R45 hubs and I get in common with most aluminium Driveshells some gouging where the non mated sprockets dig into the Driveshell. Has anyone tried the steel staple fix? https://youtu.be/PCIe9fgFDTA
There is no steel Driveshell altenative for me to buy and I have run out of options. Presumably the sprocket movement will have some influence on gear change and it can make removal for servicing problematic.

Re: Notched gouged Freehub / Driveshell
« Reply #1 on: 17 December, 2017, 03:32:57 pm »
'biting' of shimano sprockets into aluminium freehub bodies is common with all hub types.  Once the sprockets work loose, wear of this type proceeds at an accelerated rate.  The 'staple fix' is a DIY version of the ABG system that novatec/ambrosia hubs use. It helps if you regularly clean the sprockets and spacers, then retighten the lockring to the full torque, too, since there is usually some settling in the sprockets.

Unless there is enough deformation in the reinforcement that it stops you from removing the sprockets, it can't hurt to try the staple fix.  If the splines are already worn, such deformation is more likely, I would have said.

This fellow

http://www.thetallcyclist.com/2014/01/chris-king-stainless-steel-driveshell/

has a similar problem on 'classic' model hubs and CK stepped up and replaced the driveshell with a stainless one (50g heavier....), even though it is a wear part and wouldn't normally be covered under warranty. The parts for the R45 are different I think, but it can't hurt to ask...?

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2017, 05:01:46 pm »
Has anyone tried the steel staple fix? https://youtu.be/PCIe9fgFDTA

Why make a webpage of images and text when you can waste three minutes of everyone else's time by wrapping them up in a video?   >:(

Seems like a decent enough bodge, anyway.

« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2017, 09:03:40 pm »

This fellow

http://www.thetallcyclist.com/2014/01/chris-king-stainless-steel-driveshell/

has a similar problem on 'classic' model hubs and CK stepped up and replaced the driveshell with a stainless one (50g heavier....), even though it is a wear part and wouldn't normally be covered under warranty. The parts for the R45 are different I think, but it can't hurt to ask...?

cheers

Thanks, Seen this post before, but I assumed the classic and R45 driveshells are different due to having different part numbers. I will do as you suggest, fire off an email to CK to confirm and see what they recommend. A steel driveshell would be my preferred option.
One solution appears to be a SRAM red cassette machined as one piece, but that is a very expensive cassette. I may consider it as the driveshells cost £98 a go and I am already on my second looking to replace with a third for next winter.
I carefully torque up correctly in part due to an incident of over torquing snapping off some of the tab spline limiters on a previous driveshell. I will check the torque again after I have some more miles on it.
Going to give the staple fix a go.

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2017, 09:24:43 pm »
I use shimano casettes and have cut down 2.5 mm diameter !yes! stainless spokes to fit the pinning holes. I drilled 'pinholes' into the alloy carrier to tie the small to larger sprockets. - If  you have the  'sprocket holes'  a neater and easier to fit solution. Maybe I should post some info - it won't be a video!

The cassettes I'm using are Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra. The Tiagra has the 7 largest sprockets + spacers pinned; the 105 has no pins but only the largest 3 sprockets on an alloy carrier; the ultegra has a 3-sprocket carrier like the 105 but also pins the next 6 sprockets +spacers down, with only the smallest screwing on and then getting capped with the lockring.

When I swapped an unpinned 105 cassette on an alloy freehub, I noticed that the sprockets were causing slight nicks or gouges in the alloy splines. I'll take off an Ultegra and a Tiagra from other wheels to see if the pinning in them has reduced such gouging. If there's no difference, the pins can go. If there is a difference, I've found a source of 2.5mm stainless steel rod that is tough but soft enough to peen the ends on to make a new "rivethead".

Read more at http://forums.roadcyclinguk.com/showthread.php/129831-Pinning-cassette-sprockets-together?s=1758912ea2b7080f992e14301852d0de#82DY5o6V5SbJEDOm.99

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2017, 03:09:51 pm »
CK have form for this sort of thing.  Their original threadless headsets notched the steerer tube (dangerous) because they wouldn't license the compression ring from Dia-Compe and therefore the top race was a loose fit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.