Author Topic: Electric cars on ferries turned into electric ferries  (Read 1446 times)

Electric cars on ferries turned into electric ferries
« on: 07 December, 2017, 09:36:07 am »
I was idly wondering if it was possible to charge an electric car on a cross channel ferry and came across articles on this ferry.  Recharge in 10 minutes but only 30 minute crossings.

Still it's a start.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/electric-ferry/

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Electric cars on ferries turned into electric ferries
« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2017, 09:51:12 am »
Excellent!
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2017, 01:31:20 pm »
I was idly wondering if it was possible to charge an electric car on a cross channel ferry

They do seem to have some appropriate infrastructure on the vehicle decks.  Ceeform sockets, by the look of it.  I assume it's primarily there to keep the refrigeration going on lorries without them having to run their engines.

Ultimately, there's little point in recharging an electric vehicle with a ferry's diesel engine, other than convenience for the driver.  I don't think we're going to get rapid chargers on cross-channel ferries, as they're so expensive, but AC charging might become common on longer routes.

Recharge in 10 minutes but only 30 minute crossings.

Still it's a start.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/electric-ferry/

They're also mucking about with hydrogen in the Orkneys, with a view to eventually being able to power their ferries with all the cheap wind power they have there.  Apparently a major sticking point is a lack of sailors qualified in handling hydrogen.  Currently they're using fuel cells on the dock to provide the ferry with shore power, with a view to moving it to the ship to replace the auxiliaries in due course, and developing the experience needed before scaling it up to the main engines.

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »
I believe that there are plans for the inter island ferries on Orkney to become electric.   They currently test underwater turbines and store the energy created as hydrogen.  The plan appears to be to turn the hydrogen back into electricity to power the ferries.

Ill try to find more info later but I recall an episode of Fully Charged on youtube with Kryten, er I mean Robert Llewellyn.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »
Ultimately, there's little point in recharging an electric vehicle with a ferry's diesel engine, other than convenience for the driver.
That was my fisrt thought too.

But I suppose it is extending the charging network, making EVs more practical => a good thing overall?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles