Author Topic: Do you actually like Christmas food?  (Read 13972 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Do you actually like Christmas food?
« Reply #75 on: 16 December, 2017, 04:20:43 pm »
It seems that
Stilton
Xmas cake, puddings & mince pies
Yeast dough
Macadamia nuts
Chocolate & coffee
Milk
Onions & garlic
are all variably harmful for pets.

More fo me!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #76 on: 17 December, 2017, 12:52:43 pm »
It seems that
Stilton
Yeast dough
Macadamia nuts
Chocolate & coffee
Milk
Onions & garlic

More fo me!
Dried fruit & dairy in general too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:00:29 pm »
Cats are mostly sensible[1] about what food they'll steal.  It's usually dairy that you have to keep them away from.  And any meat that you might want to eat yourself, obviously.  Also (cat owner top tip) tins of fat that you've left to congeal on the window sill before binning, rather than pouring down the drain.  Didn't do the cat any long-term harm, but the carpet was traumatised.

Dogs, of course, will eat anything irrespective of whether it's harmful, or even food.  And can be more dangerously subtle about it (even if that just means eating all the evidence).

[1] "Mostly sensible" is a good description of cats generally.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #78 on: 17 December, 2017, 02:04:31 pm »
It seems that
Stilton
Yeast dough
Macadamia nuts
Chocolate & coffee
Milk
Onions & garlic

More fo me!
Dried fruit & dairy in general too.

Well yes, the Xmas puds & cake meant dried fruit and the milk & Stilton meant dairy...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #79 on: 18 December, 2017, 12:12:47 pm »
Had some mince pies yesterday. Home-made, of course. Christmas has finally started. :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #80 on: 18 December, 2017, 01:16:54 pm »
Cats are mostly sensible[1] about what food they'll steal.  It's usually dairy that you have to keep them away from.  And any meat that you might want to eat yourself, obviously.  Also (cat owner top tip) tins of fat that you've left to congeal on the window sill before binning, rather than pouring down the drain.  Didn't do the cat any long-term harm, but the carpet was traumatised.

Dogs, of course, will eat anything irrespective of whether it's harmful, or even food.  And can be more dangerously subtle about it (even if that just means eating all the evidence).

Pete has an expression of perfect indignation for when I'm eating dairy he isn't allowed. I sometimes give him teeny crumbs of cheese, but he's really miffed he's not allowed chocolate mousse. He loves red pesto - probably the oil, and he likes the tomato sauce off Heinz beans.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #81 on: 19 December, 2017, 07:32:54 pm »
It the pudding works, the spares will probably stay in the freezer for next year.

Do you need to freeze them? I just keep mine in the larder, and dose them occasionally with brandy. The one we had last Christmas was two years old and had matured beautifully!

We have had ones that Mrs Pcolbeck made that were a couple of years old. Just kept in a dark cupboard. They were fine didnt even feed them (well they had been well fed coming up to Christmas the year they were made).
My mother never froze hers and I've kept ones I've made for a year but MrsC freezes them. There are some things one doesn't argue with.
To be fair, it probably doesn't do them any harm, and they stay out of the way. There's not that much room in our kitchen.

My mother used to keep hers on top of a wardrobe.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #82 on: 20 December, 2017, 09:04:52 am »

Is that a bit like Earth being described as Mostly Harmless?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #83 on: 22 December, 2017, 08:34:10 am »
Having got an estimate on a goose and not wanting to take out a mortgage, we're having a fish dartois on the day and a civet of venison on Boxing Day when half the kids will here.

The secret of a good civet is to start marinating the meat three or four days after the eat-by date, or longer if you have the courage.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #84 on: 22 December, 2017, 09:19:39 am »
I am about to set off to the dressed poultry auction at the local cattle market. Mts Pcolbeck has left strict instruction that I should come back with a Turkey of 14 to 16lbs and NOTHING ELSE !
Its amazing how she can talk in caps.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #85 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:51:32 pm »
I am about to set off to the dressed poultry auction at the local cattle market. Mts Pcolbeck has left strict instruction that I should come back with a Turkey of 14 to 16lbs and NOTHING ELSE !
Its amazing how she can talk in caps.

Doesn't go by the name of Ysabell by any chance?

« Reply #86 on: 26 December, 2017, 06:54:57 pm »
Home-made sherry trifle. I'm only allowed to have it at Christmas and on my birthday, as otherwise I'd eat it with (or instead of...) every meal.

ian

« Reply #87 on: 26 December, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »
I just ate a huge bowl of trifle. I can't say there's any other time I would eat it, but it brings back childhood memories of the the QC sherry hit and run (I swear my dad use to put in at least two bottles). It used to put the merry into my juvenile christmases.

A lot of turkey left here. I don't know how much turkey the average person eats, but it seems our local butcher doesn't either. Or we're not average. Anyway, I think I'm making a mega-xmas dinner reprise hash shortly. Throw it in the pan with some stuffing balls, quartered sprouts, and parboiled potatoes and fry it all up until it's crispy.

That cats appreciate the turkey surplus though. They know it's in the fridge. Bad Cat actually climbed up my last night. Which, as I was wearing just my PJs, really bloody hurt. Fortunately the festive can of Even More Jesus imperial stout took away the pain (and also caused me to misplace my arms and legs for a while).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #88 on: 26 December, 2017, 07:34:12 pm »
We know we can't finish a turkey so we eat a chicken.
Trimmings went down well.
Cooked too much veg yesterday so had that for lunch.
Trifle: there's a thought! Haven't had any yet but have most of the ingredients to make one. Not had a trifle for YEARS and I'm sure David would love it!
Maybe I should wait till there's a bit more fridge space as we'd never finish it all in one sitting.
Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and several mince pies are still unloved and awaiting attention.

« Reply #89 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:02:55 pm »
I just ate a huge bowl of trifle. I can't say there's any other time I would eat it, but it brings back childhood memories of the the QC sherry hit and run (I swear my dad use to put in at least two bottles). It used to put the merry into my juvenile christmases.
Reminds me of the time when my mother, heavily influenced by the Galloping Gourmet, put most of a bottle of rum into her trifle. I was really upset as it spoilt it for me (I was probably about 8 or 9 at the time--I liked the sherry in trifle but this was far too strong). My uncle however seemed to spent most of the afternoon helping himself to the remains.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #90 on: 26 December, 2017, 08:13:01 pm »
I've just finished up 'squaring off the corners' of our large tiramisu.
It had a proper dose of freshly made coffeve in it, and was mighty fine.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #91 on: 27 December, 2017, 10:14:52 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) has just finished dismembering the goose remain and shoving it into a hole under the patio the pressure cooker.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #92 on: 27 December, 2017, 11:11:01 am »
We ate wot I mentioned above and It Was Good.

And for afters had vanilla ice-cream with toasted gingerbread, which was scrumptious even if it did caramelise the toaster. Then a stiff walk to drive down the blood sugar again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #93 on: 27 December, 2017, 11:41:49 am »
We’ll be starting on the leftovers today. Coulibiac and salad tonight, goose salad with re-fried roasties tomorrow.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #94 on: 27 December, 2017, 01:40:58 pm »
Christmas food is unutterably shite.

With the sole exception of Butterfly's lentil savoury.
Getting there...

« Reply #95 on: 27 December, 2017, 08:03:26 pm »
I love Christmas food, but this year it hasn't returned the compliment. Mainlining Gavascon and a phone call to the doctor today.  :(

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #96 on: 27 December, 2017, 08:27:17 pm »
Christmas food is unutterably shite.

With the sole exception of Butterfly's lentil savoury.
I made a red onion tart tatin with thyme & cheddar pastry, and had it with roast tatties, broccoli and sprouts roasted with chestnuts, and cauliflower cheese, and it was not shite at all.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #97 on: 27 December, 2017, 08:40:12 pm »
Our leftovers might have gone down better if Idiot Boy here han't cremated the stuffing and pigs-in-blankies :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #98 on: 28 December, 2017, 05:46:37 pm »
Re: trifle... My wife makes a most excellent trifle based on raspberries, and using large quantities of Crème de Framboise rather than sherry. We've not had it on this year's menu though, and tbh, I've not missed it - it's not like we've been short of food.

We usually just have a crown rather than a full bird. I was tasked with buying one when I was in Waitrose the other day and they only had medium sized ones in, no large ones. It looks like more than enough to feed six people to me so I got it. My wife wasn't so sure, but that's because she likes to have plenty left over to ensure we go through the rigmarole of having turkey for every bloody meal for the following week. WHY???

Unsurprisingly, the "serves six" label was an understatement and the six of us* ate handsomely with plenty of meat left over for subsequent enforced turkey consumption. I actually found the damn thing surprisingly edible, largely thanks to a) the fact that our oven never achieves the stated temperature, so it got a nice, slow cooking; b) use of the Thermapen to ensure we removed it from the oven the moment it was done all the way through rather than left in there until it had well and truly dried out as usual; and c) about an hour's resting while we finished off the accompaniments - being such a dense lump of protein, it was still hot by the time we served it.

*seven, if you include the dog - and he has certainly had his fair share of the meat.

The only appeal of Christmas pudding is pyromania

My family are always impressed by my ability to generate significant flames on the pud. The trick, as any fule kno, is to zap the brandy for 20 seconds in the microwave before ignition. I find that a good flambéeing genuinely improves the flavour of a Christmas pud - gives it a nice hint of caramel/toffee. And I like Christmas pud anyway - as long as it's not too stodgy.

We also started a new family Christmas tradition this year: Oysters Rockefeller. My brother and his family came down just before Christmas, so we had a pre-Christmas Christmas dinner on Saturday 23rc at my parents'. They brought a big box of oysters, half of which we had raw, the other half Rockefeller style - cooked with spinach and Pernod with a crispy breadcrumb topping. Never had it before but turns out it's a really nice way to have oysters. So I posted on facebook that eating oysters Rockefeller was the traditional start to Christmas festivities for our family, thereby making it a historical fact. Will definitely be doing that again.

Unfortunately, by Sunday night, I was struck down with norovirus, and discovered later that my dad, my brother and his wife had been similarly afflicted. We worked out that it must have been the raw oysters - and indeed, I remember while we were opening them thinking that perhaps we should have been keeping them on ice until it was time to serve them... That's definitely not becoming a family tradition if I can help it.

For Christmas Day itself (which we postponed until the 26th, by which time we were mostly over the norovirus), we indulged in a genuinely longstanding family Christmas tradition, with quails' egg and smoked salmon tartlets, as per an old Michel Roux recipe. We've been having these every Christmas for probably the best part of 30 years - bitesize shortcrust pastry cases filled with chopped smoked salmon, topped with a lightly boiled quail's egg and smothered in a 'thousand island' type sauce (basically a mix of ketchup, mayonnaise and brandy). We have them late morning/lunchtime to keep us going until the main event and they are sublime. For me, it wouldn't be Christmas without them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #99 on: 28 December, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
We usually just have a crown rather than a full bird. I was tasked with buying one when I was in Waitrose the other day and they only had medium sized ones in, no large ones. It looks like more than enough to feed six people to me so I got it. My wife wasn't so sure, but that's because she likes to have plenty left over to ensure we go through the rigmarole of having turkey for every bloody meal for the following week. WHY???

When I was in my second year at uni, my mother was given a 32lb turkey for our Christmas lunch. Do the maths: 20 minutes per pound plus 20 minutes. We put it on when we got in from midnight mass. It only just fitted in the oven and everything else had to be done after it had finished cooking.
I remember it as being the best tasting turkey I've ever had.
When I got back from uni for the Easter vacation, I jokingly said I was expecting turkey for dinner. My younger brother growled at me 'don't mention turkey, we've been eating it two or three times a week since you left'.