Author Topic: Whence your moniker?  (Read 11316 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Whence your moniker?
« Reply #25 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:23:28 pm »
Mine is, er, my name.  Well, one of them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:27:00 pm »
My initials are CJD...

Mrs P's maiden initials.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:32:59 pm »
About 25 or so years ago, Mrs B was chatting with other mums at the primary school gates. "The bloke on a bike" came up in conversation.  Mrs B soon realised they meant me.  (Regular utility cyclists were much less common in those days)
I adopted the name when I joined whatever that magazine forum was called.  I'd been my real name on UKRC.
When ACF came along I became Basil W Brush as a sort of parody of the then POTUS G W Bush, but I doubt many people got that.
At the end of GWB's tenure in office I needed to change, but as people were calling me Basil on forum rides etc as it made life easier when there were at least 5 other riders named John, I kept the name.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:43:16 pm »
About 25 or so years ago, Mrs B was chatting with other mums at the primary school gates. "The bloke on a bike" came up in conversation.  Mrs B soon realised they meant me.  (Regular utility cyclists were much less common in those days)
I adopted the name when I joined whatever that magazine forum was called.  I'd been my real name on UKRC.
When ACF came along I became Basil W Brush as a sort of parody of the then POTUS G W Bush, but I doubt many people got that.
At the end of GWB's tenure in office I needed to change, but as people were calling me Basil on forum rides etc as it made life easier when there were at least 5 other riders named John, I kept the name.

Basil suits you, anyway  :)

I'm Butterfly for several reasons. At some point pre- cycling plus forum I needed a forum name and I'd just been to see Madame Butterfly so I chose Butterfly. It stuck through so many forums because I had a bike with butterfly bars, I have the focus and direct sense of purpose of a butterfly and I like butterflies. Besides, as a sturdy, practical type, it's my one bit of whimsy.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 08 March, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »
I'd like to say it's my name but who really knows, internet identity being what it is. This post might have been written by our not entirely reliable intern Trieste Bouffant Bunny-Pillow, the source of those many spelling and grammar faux-pas. Big words, of course, are courtesy of the very well educated, not to mention athletically blonde, Sophia Langoustine. She's also responsible for any embedded symbology and well, if Dan Brown is never seen again, she might also be responsible for that too. Of course, any misfeasance is courtesy of Finestre, the demon of such things, who fortunately is too busy negotiating Hell's corporate hierarchy to focus on the petty little evils like making you fall off your bikes and land face first in something that really isn't chocolate pudding. Then there's Jess who is responsible for all the sarcasm and murder.

« Reply #30 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:23:10 pm »
My initials are CJD. The moniker was applied by a work colleague and has stuck.
I used to "know" another CJD on another forum (I'm pretty sure you are not the same person!)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:29:43 pm »

Hah! Did you eat my biscuit?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #32 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »
Sorry.  I really tried not to.   :demon:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:42:11 pm »
... an Orbea I had named Oscar...
..and there was me, blithely assuming Oscar to have been a human person!

Which was the conversation yesterday evening, we were talking about our kids and one of our newer members was surprised to learn I didn’t have a son.

Two of my former schoolmates have progeny named Oscar/Oskar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:45:37 pm »
I lack imagination.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #35 on: 08 March, 2018, 01:52:17 pm »
Contraction of my surname. Friends at school over 50 years ago started referring to me as Blade and it has followed me ever since, helped by the fact that I've maintained friendships with many friends over the years who have perpetuated the nickname amongst other fresh acquaintances.

My son has also been given the same nickname by several of his friends too.

...or being a Sheff Utd fan.

He's far too nice a chap to be one of those dirty scumbags.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #36 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:01:17 pm »
When I started I was Silverback as that was my old CB handle as an old boss (removals company) once said I looked like a gorilla when I came out of a house carrying a washing machine on my own. Sounds better than hairy arsed f@#kwit!  ;D
Used my real name when moved to this forum from acf.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:07:47 pm »
For me it's not so much lack of imagination as the novelty value of my name not having been taken already.

Consequently I'm often 'kimble' elsewhere, for half-forgotten reasons that date from a 1990s talker.  I'm forever having to explain that this has nothing to do with neo-nazis or TS Eliot.  It's gender-neutral enough that it passes below the radar of the sort of people who get upset by the existence of Women On The Internet, which can be as depressing as it is useful.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #38 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »
Tea for two.

Another slowly pronounced, dawning realisation 'Oh' from me. For some reason I figured it might be a Terminator reference. You seem so much less frightening as a tea-sharer than as a single minded assassination machine.

A little while ago, following a series of events where AUK members had changed their monikers to variations on 'Advocaat', I swapped to my real name. I figured that the world would be a nicer place if I took responsibility for my online opinions.

I used to hide behind 'shyumu' which was the name of my Final Fantasy VII character and an alphabetical play on graeme.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #39 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:32:40 pm »
Mine comes from a MTB forum I used to frequent - one of my MTBs was a Maverick 7/5 full suspension bike (7" front 5"rear) and I adopted it as my handle.

« Reply #40 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:38:30 pm »
My current username is pretty darned obvious : my name's Mike and I live in LFE (Leicester Forest East for the uninitiated).

My previous username 'millimole' related to my professional gainful employment as a Biomedical Scientist in Clinical Chemistry (Or Biochemistry if we're being posh) where lots of the parameters were reported in millimoles/litre.
When I retired and was feeling somewhat hacked of with (everything) my previous life, it felt like a symbolic way of marking a change by changing my username.

(Back in the olden days my CB handle was Billy Rubin - aka Bilirubin, reported in micromoles/litre)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #41 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:38:44 pm »
Tea for two.

Another slowly pronounced, dawning realisation 'Oh' from me. For some reason I figured it might be a Terminator reference. You seem so much less frightening as a tea-sharer than as a single minded assassination machine.

And another one from me - I thought it was a tank reference...

Mine shows my sparkling imagination, and the surprise nobody had bagsied it already.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #42 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:38:58 pm »
Mine was my user name on b3ta that I thought up late one night while drunk.

« Reply #43 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:41:14 pm »
alphabetical play on graeme.
It took me quite a while to twig that 'barakta' was something similar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:41:51 pm »
Mine comes from a MTB forum I used to frequent - one of my MTBs was a Maverick 7/5 full suspension bike (7" front 5"rear) and I adopted it as my handle.

This not you, then?.  Pity.  I shall have to revise my mental image of you.
Getting there...

« Reply #45 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:45:04 pm »
Was out cycling one day and a driver nearly sideswiped me. I shouted:
"What do you think I am - The Scum of the Road?"

« Reply #46 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »
I did not invent my name, it was given to me. Some years back, I lived on a barge (well two barges), with my partner, Charly, and 5 of our children. We didn't have space or electricity to run a washing machine, so we took our (substantial quantities of) laundry to a laundrette. Quite often Charly dropped the laundry off and I would pick it up.

One day when I was picking it up one of the laundry women (terrifying they were, huge, with masses of gold jewelry), informed me that they didn't know my name and when I opened my mouth to say it, told me they didn't care what it was, they knew my partner's name, Charly, so they called me MrCharly.

I kind of liked the idea that instead of a woman being called 'Mrs<insert husband's name>', I was Mr<insert partner's name>, so adopted the name online.

Blame the YHT on Charlotte; it has to do with having long hair in a ponytail and talking of telling children's stories in yurt at a festival.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:50:40 pm »

Indeed.  It's a typo that only she would make.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:55:41 pm »
I kind of liked the idea that instead of a woman being called 'Mrs<insert husband's name>', I was Mr<insert partner's name>, so adopted the name online.

We have a similar thing where Mr Ben's Mum is Mrs Ben's Mum's husband.

Blame the YHT on Charlotte; it has to do with having long hair in a ponytail and talking of telling children's stories in yurt at a festival.

I've been trying to work that out for ages...

« Reply #49 on: 08 March, 2018, 03:00:07 pm »

Indeed.  It's a typo that only she would make.
Surely it should really be bRkt THEN CONTINUE IN BLOCK CAPS?