Author Topic: TFIF  (Read 1238 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
TFIF
« on: 16 March, 2018, 08:42:41 am »
Just today to get through then the weekend awaits. One more week at work then two weeks off.
There’s always a little trepidation when I go on holiday though, because like many, I’m not judged on attendance, but on whether or not I get my allocated projects delivered.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: TFIF
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:23:48 am »
Timesheet tyranny. Pre-sales analyst estimates development cost to meet the figure the salesman wants to state to the customer, poor bloody SW engineers strain to deliver, working X hours for nothing, and in the end get bad marks when they overrun by a day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:58:14 am »
I’ve been in this business for 40 years and the only thing I know for certain is that the clever people we employ to design and develop our systems have a better grasp on how long something will take than the sales "engineers" and senior managers.

However, the estimates are ALWAYS reduced to meet the expectations of the latter, often based on the "fact" that we can’t afford that. The project usually over runs and the funds to complete it are usually found. And the next design follows exactly the same route.

I think I’m getting too old for this shit!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2018, 01:03:53 pm »
Doing all that when you're self-employed is even more fun. Underselling = undereating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:04:41 pm »
To be fair, you need sales. Letting the people who do the stuff attempt to sell, oh my. Sure, we can. It'll take five year and cost more money than you have. Erm. Off they go to buy your competitor's product. Which means the people who do stuff don't get paid. They do get a long holiday though. No one buys the truth.

Anyway, TFIF too. I'm touring the eastern seaboard of Trumptopia next week with my travelling circus of the Tidiest-Harded Thought Leadership™ that side of Tennessee. Anyway, the kittens have been drawn, itinerary downloaded, I have a Blackberry Farm barrel-aged Brett Fruit Beer in my hand, and Taylor Swift says '...Ready for It?' Unlikely.

This is wuss grade THTL™, I do eight countries in ten days in July. On the plus side, as of 5pm next Friday, I'll be sitting in the Uglyduckling in Brooklyn waiting for my wife. Don't start drinking without me she says.

Unlikely.