Author Topic: Actually, "On The Canal'  (Read 2041 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Actually, "On The Canal'
« on: 15 April, 2018, 06:28:01 pm »
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Actually, "On The Canal'
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:08:12 pm »
It took several years for the combined police forces of West Yorks and Gtr Manchester to realise they were after the same man for the 'Ripper' murders.

76 since 2007 according to that report. What is the figure for Birmingham, I wonder . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:45:44 pm »
What is the figure for Birmingham, I wonder . . . ?

Good question.  There was a spate of cyclist attacks a while ago, though I believe some oiks were apprehended.

If there are figures, you'd have to filter out attacks by the Aston ASBO Geese, drunks falling in the Gastric Basin and people Doing A Basil on some of the type-2 comedy off-road that passes for towpath around here.

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »
On the Ashton canal on Friday two lads split to let me through and one threatened to push me in, he piped down when I told him he was 'f****n coming with me'

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2018, 03:32:46 pm »
What time and whereabouts, Si?

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »
What time and whereabouts, Si?

It would have been 1545 and I'm 98% certain it was the bridge under Audenshaw Road (A6140), although there's a slim chance it was the M60 but I don't think so. It was certainly one of those because the surface was good and under the old bridges it's a bit nasty. I followed the Ashton to Portland Basin, down the Peak Forest, through Reddish Vale not Reddish Vale but something else mucky, onto the Floop, then the TPT and crossed Carrington Moss using Ashton Road Mudpit. My boots were still wet this morning  ::-)

EDIT: Here you go for reference https://ridewithgps.com/trips/22157350 (RWGPS since I know strava links are useless to you)

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2018, 01:47:04 am »
Bloody hell - the middle of the day!  I expect it would be the Audenshaw Road one, because you'd have remembered the motorway one, which is very long and has a derelict flat (barge) with an enforcement order on it - or did last time I was along there.

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:04:43 am »
I don't think there was much malice in it, more 'bantz for the lolz' but it did remind me that my mate used to hate his wife commuting down the Ashton when he lived in Stalybridge. Can't say that I recall the barge at all, but I did have my shades on which was hiding stuff under the bridges, nearly came unstuck under one on the Peak Forest, cruising along, looked to check the GPS for a turn and the next thing I'm bouncing around in the air, just after the start of the peak forest canal it was, bleedin heck, twas rough.

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2018, 12:19:04 pm »
That's a relief Si - so far I've never had any bother on the canals.  That Peak Forest is not for the baby's backside!  Lovely, though.