Author Topic: Removing a stuck tube.  (Read 916 times)

Removing a stuck tube.
« on: 30 June, 2018, 05:41:03 pm »
I've just made a start on re-assembling the ICE recumbent trike today and have run into a bit of a problem.

The various different sections of the trike fit together using aluminum shims of various sizes.  Foolishly I assumed that all of the shims for the main tubes would be the same thickness, I've discovered that they are not and now have the section of tube that connects the front and rear sections of the trike together well and truly stuck.

The short section which is stuck should be easily replaceable so I'm not concerned about damaging it and to that end I've already had it clamped in the vise but even then failed to free it.

I'm wondering whether to obtain a freeze seal kit and chill the thing right down in the hope of contracting it enough to free it.

If anyone else of this parish has had to solve a similar problem I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Photo for clarity bellow.

trike by :), on Flickr   

Re: Removing a stuck tube.
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2018, 05:46:49 pm »
Forgot to mention that I was wondering about getting hold if a scaffolding clamp and using it to attach a length of scaffold tube to the stuck tube at 90deg.  A combination of the leverage it would provide plus the contraction caused by the freeze should hopefully remove the thing. 

Re: Removing a stuck tube.
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2018, 12:02:20 pm »
Problem solved, the tube destroyed but the shim is saved.

All I need now is a length of 28.1mm x 2mm tube which isn't difficult to find.