Author Topic: Bicycle greasing (from DMR pedals)  (Read 1143 times)

Bicycle greasing (from DMR pedals)
« on: 30 June, 2018, 07:06:00 am »

I see on eBay there are 'mini grease guns' available for greasing bicycles and they take a screw on tube of grease. The grease supplied is often Lithium and specifies use on pedal bearings.
Is Lithium grease very inferior to SFG?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Bicycle greasing (from DMR pedals)
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2018, 10:23:00 am »
the 'lithium' refers to the soap type that is used to thicken the grease.  The things that differentiate one grease from another include all kinds of other things beyond that, so some lithium greases are OK and others are not.

It isn't uncommon for greases to claim 'corrosion inhibitors' and 'extreme pressure additives', 'excellent water resistance' etc. The reality  of these claims is exposed when you find out that there are different (more expensive) greases which are specified for service conditions where these properties are in any way likely to be challenged.

FWIW greases that come in tubes that fit those grease guns vary from 'alright' to 'good' (in my book) but better greases can undoubtedly be sourced without difficulty (for bulk fill guns).
Greases in small tubes work out pricey, too. If you value the convenience, you are not going to use  a lot anyway,  and the service conditions vs maintenance regime is favourable, this kind of grease gun is OK.

But if not, a bulk fill gun is a better idea. The little dualco grease gun (costs about £12)

is quite handy and is the next step up from the grease guns that take tubes.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2018, 11:02:51 am »

But if not, a bulk fill gun is a better idea. The little dualco grease gun (costs about £12) ..

cheers

I have one of those.  Excellent tool.  And you can easily 'create' grease ports in pedals, etc., with a small drill.

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2018, 12:14:35 pm »

But if not, a bulk fill gun is a better idea. The little dualco grease gun (costs about £12)

is quite handy and is the next step up from the grease guns that take tubes.

I bought one of these recently, it looks like a better design than the similar Park Tool one. Think it's also worth buying the extended needle tip at the same time, helps to get into awkward to reach places: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dualco-XL-Needle-Nozzle_59881.htm (the pic shows the needle nozzle next to the standard one)

Tredz also sell the grease gun itself here: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dualco-Mini-Grease-Gun_59880.htm
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2018, 03:08:25 pm »
Thank you all.
I have an old one of those guns by Dualco. I will fill it with the Land Rover grease mentioned in the other thread.
Thanks again.
Never knowingly under caffeinated