Author Topic: frame cable protectors  (Read 1966 times)

frame cable protectors
« on: 20 July, 2018, 11:20:38 am »
I am looking for the soft rubber sleeves that fit over brake and gear cable outers to protect the frame finish.
I have found the donuts that fit bare inners.
I'm also looking for protective stickers in red.

Advice please.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: frame cable protectors
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2018, 11:26:02 am »
Helicopter tape is transparent and works well to protect the frame from cables and chains and such.  Probably easier than colour-matching.

This sort of thing for the cables themselves? https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-outer-cable-frame-protectors-EV182888

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2018, 12:10:03 pm »
I've had those that Kim links to and they work well but I also like these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-rubber-frame-protector/rp-prod138602

On frame protection recently bought a roll of clear 3m helicopter tape  an inch wide and a meter long, which is quite a lot of tape when cut into small pieces, can be cut to size and shape and works really well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Protection-Tape-Helicopter-Bicycle/dp/B01A7IOKL4/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1532084816&sr=1-4&keywords=Bike+Protection+Tape

Again can probably be sourced cheaper with a bit of casting about

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2018, 12:49:56 pm »
I'd recommend frame tape even if you also use something on the cables.
The 3M helicopter tape is good (goes on best if warmed with a hair dryer).

In the presence of muck, the softer item can act like sandpaper and wear out the harder item.

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2018, 01:56:07 pm »
I have some cable covers similar to those Kim links to, there's versions on ebay for less than a quid each.  I've found they slow down the paint wear rather than stop it, I don't use them where there's a lot of rub like on the headtube, they're fine where there's less movement.  What they are good for if you have a long cable run is removing the clatter.
I'm experimenting with tapes after asking a similar question elsewhere, though my intention is to cover much of a frame to avoid general chips and scrapes.  It seems not all helicopter tape is the same, especially if you buy from ebay where it seems to have become a general term.  The tape 3M recommend for bikes is HS 8671, it's on a backing so easier to cut to shape and can be applied wet to make positioning easier.  I have a sample to play with, there's a knack to getting it perfect that I haven't mastered yet!
Another 3M product I've been advised to look at for a matt finish is Ventureshield.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2018, 01:56:37 pm »
Available in colours
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2018, 04:33:49 pm »
I've been using some rubber spiral things on the gear cables where they touch the headtube with some success, though this is on a bike a keep quite clean usually, I'll try to remember to dig out a link
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2018, 10:28:29 pm »
Plenty of top tips, Thankyou.

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:25:44 am »
 Jagwire do them . Can have them as a tube or tube with slit no need to remove cables.

Google Jagwire cable top tube protector . Work well and stay in position , not lost any of the ones with the slit yet.

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:33:37 am »

« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:36:25 am »
Helicopter tape is transparent and works well to protect the frame from cables and chains and such.  Probably easier than colour-matching.

This sort of thing for the cables themselves? https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-outer-cable-frame-protectors-EV182888
How much?  :o :o :o :o

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2018, 05:11:08 pm »
I use the spiral ones from Fibrax. They come in different colours. From memory they're a pound each, which seems a lot, but you don't need many.

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2018, 05:59:16 pm »
I use the spiral ones from Fibrax. They come in different colours. From memory they're a pound each, which seems a lot, but you don't need many.

That's the ones I've been using, they seem to work well, though on some cables do slide down after a while and need re-positioning
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway