Author Topic: Scam call  (Read 1127 times)

Scam call
« on: 25 July, 2018, 06:24:31 pm »
Just had a second episode of the above

First call is a recording and claims I have been caught speeding and asks how I would like to pay, then threatening the fine will double if not paid today.

A few mins later there is a second call, claiming either that there is an unpaid parking ticket or an allegation of reckless driving, again a recorded message and again threatening a doubling of the fine if not paid today

The point is, both are recordings, so there is no provision to pay even if you want to (no I don’t, it’s clearly not genuine)

Which sort of begs the question, why?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Scam call
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2018, 08:05:42 pm »
To create PANIC for FUN!

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2018, 08:39:28 pm »
I don't understand why these callers, if they can be traced to the UK, cannot be prosecuted for attempted fraud, as that is what they are.

They are not 'nuisance' calls, they are an attempt to defraud you.

I appreciate that many come from overseas, so that's not going to be actionable, but I bet some originate in the UK, and they should be actionable.

Why are our prosecutors not acting?

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2018, 08:49:23 pm »
Well, not that it proves anything at all, in both episodes the second call was delivered by a bloke with an unmistakeable West Midlands accent. I’m wondering if it’s a softening up, prior to receiving a call from a real person.

A

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2018, 11:09:40 pm »
We had one from india today, same one we get regularly,  apparently its Microsoft calling to inform us we have a virus and must do as they say.  Today i informed him that all are computers run on Linux and I'm not intrested in hearing from Microsoft, persistent chap would have none of it and continued to try and get remote access to our computer. In end i told him that i would relentlessly insult him untill he hung up, which was fun.