Author Topic: Cooking chorizo recipe help  (Read 2113 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Cooking chorizo recipe help
« on: 27 July, 2018, 11:03:13 pm »
I bought some chorizo, 6 to be exact.
I thought they were the cured version but it appears they need cooking.
Can anyone help me out with ways to use them that don't involve treating them like a sausage?
(Pingu has a sausage phobia but will happily eat cured stuff like salami, saucisson & the cured chorizo.)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Cooking chorizo recipe help
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2018, 05:34:10 am »
Take one pan, a couple of cloves of garlic and a cheap bottle of red.

Cut chorizo into thirds, place in pan with the rest of the ingredients.

Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour or so.

At this point you can either serve as is, or slice them into discs the thickness of £1 coins and then fry.

Nom
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2018, 06:29:12 am »
^^^ wot he says.

A couple of ways I use them:

Pork, bean & chorizo stew. Start off with a bit of onion, celery and garlic, softened. Lob in your pork (fried off or not) and a couple of cans of beans (cannellini, red kidney, borlotti, whatever. Chorizo. smoked Paprika, maybe some thyme. Stock or white wine. Cook.

Courgette and chorizo bake. Whatever goes into the bake with the courgette and chorizo* (which I tend to fry off quickly) , I cook up a little bulgar wheat in stock, add along with tomato, oregano. Add cheddar and parmesan top. Cook.

*eg mozzarella, any other veg you want

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2018, 06:30:37 am »
I use them in place of things like ham or bacon, so inomlettes, fried with things like broad beans, and spring onions to then go in a warm salad topped with a soft boiled egg.  Or similar to tiermat, in red wine, tomatoes, herbs etc, add a tin of borloti beans for a good stew, or put with pasts.

Crossed with Ham, plus wot he says, I've done a very nice slow cooked belly pork, chorizo and chick pea as well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2018, 09:57:51 am »
Ok, questions.
tiermat: if you cut them into thirds before boiling do you not end up with a load of fallen apart sausage meat?

Everyone else: you cook it like above before using it in yourbrecipes, or what?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:03:03 am »
Ok, questions.
tiermat: if you cut them into thirds before boiling do you not end up with a load of fallen apart sausage meat?

Everyone else: you cook it like above before using it in yourbrecipes, or what?

If you are worried about that fry them for 5 minutes before cutting up. In practice, though, I have never had an issue.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:11:16 pm »
I've never had a chorizo that was as soft as a sossige, the pork'n'beans thing is quite happy to cook all together, the courgette thing I might think about cooking them first then chopping, or just chopping and stirring in. Pre cooking all the courgett-y stuff means all you have to do is brown the cheese, although it forgives baking for a while, too.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:07:23 am »
I've has chorizo of sausagey consistency in USAnia and, before you fall about laughing, eastern Nevada and western Utah has a significant population of Basque-descended types - these came from a sausagewright in Cedar City UT.  And jolly yummy they were too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2018, 10:40:07 am »
So I cooked them in wine and then bunged them in my East African spicy lentils. They were a bit too sausage like for me, I won't buy those ones again....