Author Topic: boarding a loft  (Read 5421 times)

Re: boarding a loft
« Reply #25 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:37:53 am »
I could Google. But wish to ask - what are noggins?

« Reply #26 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:15:10 am »
Noggins are short pieces of timber that span between joists or rafters. They tend to be used when the joists have a large span to stop the central portions from flexing from side to side, stiffeners if you like.

« Reply #27 on: 24 August, 2018, 10:39:55 am »
"How do you board a loft?"
"You don't, you board a boat."
"Why?"
"Its easier."

IGMC
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 24 August, 2018, 01:45:23 pm »
Noggins give the floor rigidity by preventing the joists from rotating or buckling under load.

Traditionally this was provided by nailed on herringbone strutting, but it's less labour intensive to to screw a single piece of timber than make a herringbone strut and is the reason solid noggins are now used in modern construction.

They shouldn't be relied on to increase the floors ability to carry greater load, that's the job of the joist not the noggin.

IME floors can be quite easily strong enough well before they are adequately stiff. If the noggings are mounted securely then they improve the stiffness of the structure. My noggings (which were of the herringbone type) were screwed and glued in place; again not the easiest or cheapest way of doing it but for me it was worth the effort.

cheers

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:03:18 pm »
Indeed, I have installed herringbone struts in my upstairs floor, looks nice too if you're into that kind of thing.